ARTY IS OP in my opinion

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ikickasss, November 6, 2013.

1. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Developers I will like to make a suggestion of tweaking arty. Right now arty pwns buildings , tanks, etc. Arty should only own buildings or bots NOT tanks. When one is dug in with a few arty pieces u can attack with 50 tanks and get no where. PLEASE FIX!!!!! Anyone else share this opinion?
  2. Stormie

Stormie Active Member

attack with bots. from two directions. artillery problem solved.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If artillery could have some kind of economic penalty to firing that actually required a good power economy....
  4. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

I think artillery feels just right, it is a good counter against deathball attacks with land units. But you don't have to do that, go air, go orbital or attack with multiple bot armies instead of one tank army.
  5. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

But all they have to do is make 2 turrents in fron with ary and its very hard to kill
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

What are you talking about? He clearly states 50 tanks. No offence to ikickass but if he has some trouble with artillery he probably isn't the best of players.

If you see your opponent firing shells at you, scout the artillery and check it's range/support. If it has no support; attack from opposite sides. If it has support consider avoiding this area.( you can place a similar building on top of theirs as if you are trying to build it so you can sea it's range).

Because you have scouted (you should always scout, especially before attacking with a deathball), You have access to air. T2 bombers are super effective against t2 artillery. If the artillery is too heavily defended to get a good bomb run. Consider bombing his adv radar and sneaking a similar artillery within range.

If he turtling and dug in good, keep all your units out of range and nuke him.
    Last edited by a moderator: November 6, 2013
    pieman2906 and Murcanic like this.
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

From the other thread, I believe the problem is that arty is either not using energy to fire or it's disregarding the lack of energy and firing anyway.

In TA, if a unit needed 1000 energy to fire, you couldn't fire it while sitting at 0 energy. A bunch of arty firing constantly required a lot of energy to keep it fed. I think PA is supposed to have this but it's currently broken. You can run infinite pelters at full fire rate while having no energy income.

So it may be broken for now.

In the meantime, my favorite tactic is to swarm the arty with some cheap units and while it's destroying them, use the distraction to make my own arty. This won't work on an attentive player that's scouting and manually targeting your construction but if your economy is healthy you can generally get your counter-arty down and fire to destroy his.

Note that you should use some Dox as cannon fodder. Pelters destroy Ants in 1 shot so you might as well use some cheap bots to buy you that initial closing distance.
  8. kryten42

kryten42 Member

Yeah, it really isn't overpowered, you just need to adjust your tactic there.
    I also agree though that it should require you to have energy to fire, every turret should have that I think ;)
  9. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

My only issue with arty is the T2 one shots T2 ships... tsk tsk. Buff ship health!
  10. jermell18

jermell18 New Member

LoL...a lot of valid points hear, but i agree, arty is a "little" over powered. One solution could be to increase the time between shots, but i wouldn't make arty more or less affective against different types of building, or units, etc.
  11. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I've never really had a problem with arty, it has a lot of viable counters, and the thing's built out of paper once you close in.

Bum rushing it with bots has almost always been an easy fix for dealing with arty.
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I think the biggest issue with artillery is how accurate it is. It shouldn't be a defence against mobile units, it should be an offensive weapon against structures, or blobs. Right now it's a sniper.
  13. igncom1

I feel the opposite.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

If artillery lead it's targets I'd bet you'd think the same as he does.

Mike
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Artillery is hardly OP right now. They are "area denial" weaponry, easily countered in a variety of ways.

Just try to not run a big blob of slow moving tanks right at them, thats just bad strategy.
    beer4blood and stormingkiwi like this.
  16. igncom1

A bot rush is fairly decent at dodging blows.
  17. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Yep flank overcome..... use your own arty behind cheap units as a sponge total destruction!!!!
  18. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

Pelters are pretty damn good but only because they can direct fire like ants. If they forced the arty to always use an arched firing solution, like the T2 mobile arty(forgot its name), there would be no real problem.
  19. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Once we get drop ships, unit cannons and possibly some sort of T2 rush unit like the Zipper there's a number of things to artillery defenses to worry about.
  20. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

You are not getting through my ant army with bots to get to my arty.... Procing is a very very successful way to win games.

I've made a lot of people QQ in game about how "stupid and boring" getting annihilated via arty is.. lol. However, don't turtle bud.