ZaphodX's PA videos - updated daily

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by zaphodx, July 17, 2013.

1. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

A clan member and I tested bots versus tanks in a recent or the current build. Tanks are better. 100bots versus 100 tanks and the tanks win.
    Quitch likes this.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

With or without micro?

When I watch these videos ants seem so painfully slow and they're still crawling places to react to an opponent who is wrecking **** because they went bots.
  3. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

With micro.
    Quitch likes this.
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

It's not that simple. In large group confrontations scampers can't dodge ant shots. In small scale confrontations scampers win badly. They also are far more effective at being anywhere whereas ants have to slowly crawl around chasing them to defend. Also scampers arguably can deal with turrets better. Scampers also form tighter, higher-dps deathballs. Also scampers are cheaper - your test should have been 125 scampers vs 100 ants. Also scampers can easily flank and outmanoeuvre ants in their conrontations. You should never run scampers head-on into ants if you have opportunities to get into more favourable engagements.

So imo scampers are still stronger but ants are still useful.
    stormingkiwi and Quitch like this.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Ants are perfect to defend a stationary battlefront.

If doxes are running into a line of ants, ants win.

You just need to form a square, back them up with pelters and anti air towers, and you can basically forget about them.

I don't think of ants as an attacking unit. They are too slow in open terrain - a prime target for a decent bot flank or any kind of air attack.
  6. zaphodx

7. Quitch

You're right about scouting, it's also so obvious when you're (as in all of us) watching, but the second you're playing you just never seem to get around to it...

Great ending to that game. Spherical maps for the win!
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is my absolute most favorite match so far. I really enjoyed playing it. Very stressful and back and forth.

I loved ZaphodX's reaction when kingjohnvi started disappearing.

My favorite tactic is to build proxy bases and raid through the side and back with bots. Very powerful.

Yes. Spherical maps for the win.
  9. zaphodx

10. Quitch

Is the ubercannon controllable?
  11. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

To use it you have to have 1000 energy, be in range for the Uber cannon, and right click the target. Its still a bit random, but in the next few seconds after clicking you should see your commander firing.
    Quitch likes this.
  12. stormingkiwi

Can I ask a question?

@kingjohnvi @brianpurkiss

How come both of you start off with 4 mex, one p-gen, before building the factory? Was it an agreed start condition or ease of giving the commander the orders?
  13. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

He starts the battle later into the cast to get past the 'boring' very beginning parts. I think 4mex one p-gen into one factory is just the build they both used.
    zaphodx likes this.
  14. stormingkiwi

I see, I did gather that much. It just seems unusual, because you can start the bot factory rolling from the third mex. I assume it's 4 mex+1factory. in that order
  15. zaphodx

If you only have 3 mex you will likely stall your eco. However if you have a long walk to the 4th mex then you will probably be further behind so it can be better just to get out the first bot factory after 3 mex.
  16. stormingkiwi

I see. I guess it depends on distance. During the construction of the 4th mex with an active bot factory I was -10, but had full storage. There was a fairly tidy clump of metal.
  17. zaphodx

18. Quitch

I feel so bad for the other players. They must think they're doing OK, unaware of the fact that you've expanded to cover the entire planet in about 15 minutes.

This is also a great example of how much bombers suck. Just look at that pitiful damage output.

I'm looking forward to your heart attack trying to cover a game when we get multi-planetary starts and inter-planetary war. :)
    Last edited: November 4, 2013
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. stormingkiwi

I know... bombers are so bad... I prefer just massing scouts.

Submarines do work :) Confirmed.
    Last edited: November 4, 2013
  20. zaphodx