A.I. too overpowered

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by antonyboysx, October 30, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

@tatsujb ,, You should make Eddie's skull an asteroid on his way to smash a planet :)

And when i saw those pic's all i could think of was EDDIE THE PROPHET making PA. ;)

Neutrino.jpg
    Last edited: October 31, 2013
    eukanuba likes this.
  2. maxpowerz

I foresee an artist making neutrino one of these as a commander :p
    the Mavor Commander.jpg
    For his secret "Fifth faction".
    Followers of the Metal Revolution!!
    Shhhhhh no-one supposed to know!!!!!
    spazzdla and LavaSnake like this.
  3. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I can't wait until the AI takes full advantage of all 5 coms in a 5 v me. Spazzdla wants to lose to the AI.
    stormingkiwi and LavaSnake like this.
  4. Tankh

Tankh Member

It's a bloody wallpaper by the looks of it! :O
  5. Tankh

Tankh Member

Programming an AI must be some of the most fun you can have in game development tbh. It's like you're developing the game and playing it at the same time.

Then you can just relax and watch how it kicks everyones ***
    stormingkiwi and maxpowerz like this.
  6. maxpowerz

I wonder if sorian has hidden key to make AI take over when he's playing so he can sit an watch it kill the other dev's when they have internal test matches :)

I could imagine sorian pressing the AI autoplay key and walking away to make his coffee, only to come back and find the AI won game for him.
    stormingkiwi and LavaSnake like this.
  7. Tankh

Tankh Member

This reminds me of the Planet Wars AI challenge that google sponsored a couple of years back.

http://planetwars.aichallenge.org/profile.php?user_id=8135 (my bot)

Was so fun to make your own bot and then upload it to a ladder to see how it did against others. You could view every matchup and every turn of the matchup to analyze how it all went down.
    Good times!
  8. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Awwwww helllls yeahhh!!
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Tankh likes this.
  10. dudeinblack

dudeinblack New Member

Sorian you are an artist at work
    an artist of creation and destruction at the same time
    seeing the new AI updates every time a new build hits is like watching a conductor compose and perform his masterpiece with a symphony orcestra

I can't wait till I get to watch AI only games after release with AIX ultra aggresive AIs
    LavaSnake and stormingkiwi like this.
  11. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I now feel bad for the OP after the AI changes LOL.

Good Job on the AI increased difficulty though!
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Still not difficult enough - based on a game I won, it doesn't build quickly enough under bad start conditions, doesn't allocate troops intelligently, doesn't respond to threats fast enough, doesn't expand to satellite bases and doesn't counter units with the appropriate response.

All under bad start conditions. Both of us had 2 metal available, and I was the one that claimed 4 satellite bases by the time I had finished with the AI. I expanded towards more metal, he more or less just stayed at his start location. Picking up some extra metal as he went. Did a poor job of defending his rather small base.

If he has lots of metal, he's lethal. But if not, he's not that effective.Now I've beaten him, I'm pretty sure I can repeat the strategy when he's stronger.
  13. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

The AI isn't OP you are just wasting your time going into space.

Building anti nukes and nukes of your own are a lot more cost effective than trying to escape to another planet. Heck it's not that hard to beat the AI with conventional forces before he gets nukes.

I kind of wish there was a practical use for space in AI games, but there isn't.
  14. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

As the AI gets better they'll be more of a challenge.

Right now they can actually go to space, but as you've said you'll probably have already killed them before they get to that point.
  15. Tankh

Tankh Member

Haha awesome. Didn't even think about searching for him.
    Damnit it would have been so fun to have beaten him in the rankings. I did have some significant changes planned that I never got to implement though :p
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  16. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Just played another game with the latest AI. It plays like a human now, a stupid human.

I was impressed that the first thing they did was to eliminate the second AI player, however while they were keeping each other occupied I was expanding and covering my expansions with defensive structures arty and radar.

We both sent raiding forces at each other but his never seemed to make it pass my resource bases while mine were heading straight for the generators in his main base, After a while he stopped sending raids so I got curious and sent some fighters to scout his base. He had been rebuilding and investing all his mass into an intimidating looking wall covered with artillery and point defense.

By the I controlled most of the map and had made it to T2, I built some T2 econ, anti-nuke, nuke launcher, and orbit launcher. The orbit launcher and transport were finished before the nuke was so I sent my comander to another planet and then launched my nuke at his base. His big scary wall was vaporized (It would be cool if there was a way to build nuke resistant buildings BTW) and his commander was now exposed where my bots could move in and finish him off.

He never really made it to T2 and I consider myself a very slow player. It would have been nice if the match had gone on long enough for us to start fighting on the other planet. Right now I'm at the skill level where AI poses no challenge, but I can't quite keep up with experienced human players, but I think so far the AI is very promising.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Exactly, a human!
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  18. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Yes and that's what I like about it. It can provide a modest challenge without A) being scripted to a specific scenario, or B) cheating.
    It just needs to lean how to use more things, and perhaps have a slider that controls it's aggression.

It might also be cool if it could be set to try to prolong the match as long as possible, focusing on survival rather than winning. It won't try to capture more than 50% of the starting planet's mass points and will instead focus on defending itself and spreading to other planets. That way it would be more likely for games against it to progress into space.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It doesn't build enough fabbers or expand aggressively enough and it seems to stop at four unit production facilities. I'm assuming that this means important pieces are still missing.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

So there will be a way to apply an economy scaling factor while playing versus AI. This will let you reduce the AI's metal/energy output or increase you own output. This is ready to go for the next patch.

For the record, Mike does cackle from time to time. But the AI doesn't currently get any economic advantages.
    maxpowerz, LavaSnake and stormingkiwi like this.