Full Screen Support

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Planktum, October 29, 2013.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Have a read of this - I'm pretty sure Nvidia know a thing or two about graphics rendering...
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

In my mind that at least for now is part of the "weird technology that only a specific vendor supports" corner. And I don't blame a indie developer for not taking care of perfect support of such features.

...but yeah sure the idea of a vsync that doesnt effect fps sounds nice.
  3. Planktum

Are you calling Adaptive Vsync "weird technology that only a specific vendor supports"? There are only two makers of GPU's... Nvidia and AMD.

I would call Adaptive Vsync "innovative" and for Uberent to ignore technology like this is ignorant. There is absolutely no way Uberent can justify their decision to exclude Native Full Screen support.

Not only has Nvidia developed Vsync but they have gone one step further and just developed Gsync - http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...evolutionary-ultra-smooth-stutter-free-gaming

And Uberent are far from your typical "indie developer". They have industry veterans at the helm and over 2 million dollars raised through Kickstarter.
  4. cola_colin

I still see them use those few millions to make better gameplay instead of supporting a feature that only very few people will miss (it's not like the game looks that bad without vsync) and that is only supported by a certain gfx vendor. I'd bet that most people don't even know what vsync does.
    Also as horrible as it sounds, intel also makes gpu's. They are probably more spread than people who hope to use gsync.
  5. Planktum

Intel does not make Discete GPUs, they make Integrated GPUs and you might as well stick to playing Mine Sweeper if you use them.

Abviously you do not know much about Vsync yourself so I don't know why you are commenting on a technical thread without knowledge of the subject you are commenting on.

Planetary Annihilation FORCES Vsync ON, you can't turn it off and you can't use Adaptive Vsync. Vsync causes lower frame rates as per the article (http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/adaptive-vsync/technology).
  6. cola_colin

I don't use intel gpus for anything, but there are surprisingly many people who do play PA on them.
    I don't know anything about vsync implementations, but I do know what the effects of enabled vysnc are.
    How do you know PA forces vsync on? I definitely know that PA jumps around all sorts of FPS levels, so I seriously doubt it uses vsync.
    Forcing vsync surely would be stupid, but it doesn't look like it does.
  7. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

The intel HD 4000 chipset im using on my Acer Iconia w700 tablet pc would be comparable to this ATI card in performance
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk...6670/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#2

I would even go as far as saying My intel HD 4000 chipset outperforms that model ATI card but doesn't support as many Fancy features as that equivalent ATI model.
  8. maxpowerz

What gives you that impression??
    i don't see that happening my end so i'd say your WRONG!!
    This would be GPU dependent and has nothing to do with PA!!

If you don't believe me look in my "Performance Booster Mod v2" thread in the mods section.
    Where do you see v-sync limiting my framerates to numbers divisible of my refresh rate ????
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-performance-booster-v2-55493.53233/

so before being a smart person to someone who has most probably got a more in depth knowledge of how the game works id do some better researching into how the game actually does work!
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Who said we are going to ignore adaptive v-sync? It's obviously a good feature. As long as it's supported in their OpenGL implementation it should be easy to turn on. Currently we don't have any hardware in the office capable of doing it that I know of.
  10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

If if there is no resolution options,
    does that mean if I move towards a bigger monitor, then everything just gets bigger?

Compared with TA, now the resolutions are much higher than back in the day.
    We get to see a lot more of the battlefield.
    But if I want to see the units bigger, I can just scale back down the resolution.

Do we lose this functionality then?
  11. maxpowerz

I dont think it would need anything more that some zoom level adjusting and a scalable UI for Extremely high resolutions.
    and what i mean by zoom level adjusting, i'm talking about the point where strategic icons appear and also the further out zoom where units disappear to render just icons.
    this would give the same effect your looking for :)
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Theoretically you should see the same amount of battlefield but at higher resolution.

Also it's different from TA because we don't have a fixed zoom level. The size of the units in PA is controlled by how close you zoom in, not the screen resolution.

Changing screen resolutions makes no sense in the modern era. You want to be driving any modern LCD monitor at it's native resolution. Performance can be scaled by changing the size of the buffers you render into, not changing the resolution of the screen itself.

I'm fine with allowing v-sync however you want, it's not currently an option but it's easy to add.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

What? We already discussed this in another thread. This game doesn't use a fixed camera position so the resolution is irrelevant to how much you can see.
  14. Culverin

@neutrino
    Yes, I understand an LCD should be run at its native res.
    It sounds like the PA camera display is scaled to screen res as a percentage?
    So as we move into 4K and 8K gaming, I won't actually see more of the battlefield?

In my eyes, as res improves 5 years and 10 years down the line, I would like the game to scale upwards.
    Perfect scenario, the display resolution would be high enough that zoomed in near the commander, I can still see half the planet.

@Quitch said we have variable zoom, but it's not just about camera position.
    But rather how much I can see at each of the specific camera positions.
    Consider TA's camera position. Yes it is fixed, but we could theoretically call it camera position #5 (from closest).
    If we were to have a #6, we would zoom out a bit and see more.

Now TA scaled by pixels, not percentage of screen coverage (Like Starcraft 1 and Diablo 2).
    That's why as tech improved and we got higher res monitors, the game actually improved over time.
    We got to see more of the battlefield.
    Whereas with Starcraft 1 and Diablo 2, it's still as a "congested" camera view as it was the day those games launched.
  15. maxpowerz

@Culverin
    What your referring to is called "Field of View" or FOV and its a camera adjustment that's it!
    It can be done at any resolution to give the same effect as changing res in TA to a higher one
    you will see more battlefeild
  16. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

You are looking for Field of View options.
    Going over 90 degrees will cause a fisheye effect.
    In order to not have a fisheye effect over 90 degrees, the shot would be rendered orthographically. ..you dont want that...

edit: defeated by MAXPOWERZ!!!! DAAAAAAAAMMMNNNN

second edit: actually for the round nature of PA, a 110 degree camera would not be too bad. Even more fun would be with some tilt-shift style depth blurring. eh? eeehh?? EEEEHHHH??
    Last edited: November 2, 2013
    maxpowerz likes this.
  17. Culverin

res content.jpg

Consider Total Annihilation,
    Compared to back in 1997, you get to see much more on the screen.
    Option #1 = Good thing! :)

Consider StarCraft 1,
    Compared to back in 1998, the view is just as congested on today's hardware.
    No matter what screen you play on, you still have to micro your camera and zoom around the map.
    Option #2 = Bad thing. :(

Now consider PA in regards to 4K gaming,
    It is here and now, just on the verge of going mainstream.
    By seeing more content on the screen, we can avoid the common complaint of Supreme Commander "icon wars".
    We can get the same amount of info, but with a closer camera position, meaning you won't be "forced" to zoom out as much.
    Same graphics, but more content.
    Best of both worlds.

So now we have the best case scenario,
    PA becomes another legend in RTS gaming history.
    And we are playing PA in 15 years time.

Do you want to see the same amount?
    or more?

[​IMG]
  18. Culverin

p.s.

I can't be the only one who wants to rent out a theater.
    Hook up my computer and play Total Annihilation.
    I can probably see 1/4 of the map ;)

Now do you know what I mean about scaling up for the future?
    Instead of just building a tunnel vision game like StarCraft?
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

There is only one thing relevant in PA as to how much you can see: aspect ratio. That's it. Resolution is not relevant. It is not relevant. It is not relevant. You have complete zoom control. Resolution is not relevant to the viewable space.
  20. cola_colin

culverin, any modern game basically offres what you want.
    Look at this post from me:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/change-monitor.52830/#post-806036
    It shows PA in a pretty wide resolution, should be a nice example of how more screenspace relates to more visible stuff. (Empty space ;))

Also I am pretty sure SC2 at least reacts the same way when confronted with wider resolutions.
    The only differences is that in SC2 you cant zoom.

EDIT:
    Also SupCom handled this just the same way.