Will metal planets ever get oceans?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by krakanu, October 2, 2013.

1. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

...except that it is actually:

Earth-type: All unit types
    Gas-type: Only orbital
    Water-type: naval, orbital, and air
    Metal-type: land, orbital, and air (and naval?)
    Moon-type: land, orbital, and air
    Lava-type: land, orbital, and air

When you look at it that way, adding naval to Metal-type would actually increase the diversity of strategies since land/orbital/air is already covered by 2 other types.
    Bgrmystr2 and bradaz85 like this.
  2. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

But... metal planets are kind of gigantic space station. Why would space station have water on it's surface? It doesn't make any sense. Not to mention that it'd evaporate. Or freeze. Or first freeze and than sublimate. In either case - it's rather impossible to hold water on a surface of gigantic metal body in vacuum.

(not to mention a fact that Air units also don't make much sense, but these can be explained by having some small thrusters preventing them from crushing onto the surface pulled by gravity)
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well the same reason why earth does, Ice asteroids.
  4. drangus

drangus New Member

I say yes, as long as the oceans are seas of mercury
    extraammo and bradaz85 like this.
  5. omniao

omniao Active Member

Because maybe the space station decayed and was destroyed partially
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That doesn't address any of his arguments, even if the Metal planet used water for something and damage cause it to be exposed somehow, it would still "evaporate. Or freeze. Or first freeze and than sublimate." because it's suddenly exposed to the vacuum of space.

Mike
  7. omniao

omniao Active Member

Yeah, but what if the metal planet was a shell around a smaller, planet with a thick atmosphere, and all of the gasses were trapped inside. Later they were destroyed by a oncoming army and the gasses are released, creating a atmosphere, and a water cycle that wears down the metal over time creating sone tine of silt. Eventually life begins and life grows on the half-earth -metal planet. Or, the planet is in a weird orbit and gets too close to the sun and the metal melts, creating a metal lava hybrid. Or like you said, it freezes, now it'll be half metal half ice, or it's close enough to the sun where the ice melts.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That is about as ridiculous as the idea of a Little Planet.

Mike
  9. omniao

omniao Active Member

That's funny because I actually read "what if?" A lot. And the second two ideas are very viable, just the first idea was for laughs. The lava metal planet could exist, and the ice planet also. The water one would have to be in a perfect orbit just to get the water to the right temp. Also, this game isn't very realistic either, because you can have a one hundred meter planet in radius that has a volcano on it. Also, you can have the same thing with liquid water on it, so the game doesn't have the physics in it that would make the water freeze. Also, what if the metal planet that has volcanic activity, that could heat it up for liquid water to exist?
    It 's also funny because you can get a little planet in PA.
    Also look at jupiter's moon , http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon).
    Last edited: October 30, 2013
  10. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

Than you wouldn't see any water at all, because it would be under a surface. And any "leaks" through outter shell would suck the atmosphere out into vacuum freezing all of the water inside. There is still no way for liquid water on a surface of metal planet.
    Besides: It's not. Metal planets are just a huge space stations. Think: Death Star.
    But it doesn't. Metal planets don't have a liquid magma core inside. An even if they would - it's just a local source of heat. You still won't have any liquid water on a surface of space station.
    Europa is made of rock. Not metal. Despite of your attempts to suggest it will make it explain any water on surface of a gigantic, ancient space station - it doesn't.
    If you want to know why ice doesn't evaporate from Europa -

Besides - why you so stubbornly try to make it up? It doesn't make any sense. It's BETTER when we don't have ANY water on metal planet, because it creates a new type of envoirment. Something... with no water at all! That's brilliant. I see no reason to spoil it just because Omniao wants to see boats on a large, metal swimming poll.
  11. omniao

omniao Active Member

I'm so sorry, I meant to put "I don't know if this proves anything, but it's still interesting." I had already read the link and saw that it specifically said it had a atmosphere if oxygen. I never wanted to sound like a jerk, or snobbish, I just thought it could look cool if they just had a variation of a ocean world.
    I am sincerely sorry.

But I'm not denying that fact that little planets can still be in this game already, @KNight.
  12. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

technicaly speaking the only things that could be liquid on a metal planet would be helium or nanaites