2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

You would be amazed at just how expensive getting a game built and shipped can be. Every little thing you do has a monetary cost attached to it, be it coffee, a server, a unit design, or the lights in the building.

Everything adds up. Games are expensive(Why do you think Kickstarter exists)
  2. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

Tell me about that. One of projects I backed exceeded it's production time frame by over 100% already and each month I get another news post about another delay with detailed description why did it happen.
    Yes - sure, it's very nice that they care enough to say what's up and why the delay - but... over 100%? o_O

Two words: Double Fine.

In majority of cases? Because people want easy money to live their passion (be it: photography / dance / painting / workshops / hobby / making video games) and there's enough fools to actually give them money.
    PA and few other serious projects from serious people are rare exceptions from generic rule. Sadly: not everyone can pick cherries. Heck: I consider myself quite good in that yet still stumbled upon a fail-project.
  3. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

The kickstarter funding was for an indicator of interest, not the sole funding source of the game, there are quotes (I don't have them at hand). I bet if we did the math for licenses, office space, reasonable salaries for known devs, etc. we'd get close to or exceeding the kickstarter funds.

FYI, kickstarter rule of thumb, the farther the project is from release, the farther its release will slip, add multipliers for stupid amounts of success and stretch goals.
    Last edited: October 28, 2013
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I've put 250$ in the kickstarter. I do not regret it at all. would i redo it ? Yes, Yes, Yes.
    Would i regret it if PA does not meet my expectations ? No, because I know Uber has done, is doing and will do its best to make it the best possible RTS.
    Like many of you i have my own frustrations about this game.
    But watching again the very first livestream with Mavor showing a demo of the very first small planet (no textures, just squares !) i can see how much they are able to achieve within a short amount of time.
    And by the way Mavor has said, many, many times that PA is an on going project. It does not stop after release date. So keep supporting the team, that's the best we can do for them and for us.
    Gorbles, LavaSnake and kongkillha like this.
  5. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

I kinda wonder how many people(If any on the forum) have the units named after them for the 1,000 donation.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If I'm not mistaken, a few have them named already.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually, that's the 5K reward, the 1K reward is a Custom Commander....thou technically you'll be naming that so I guess it's just semantics?

Mike
  8. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Ah. Man if I had the money I'd totally to that.

Just a big massive tank with like 4 barrels of destruction. :D
  9. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I'm not going to directly comment on the weird speculation I've been seeing in this one, but I do want to note something: we're all working super hard on PA. When we're not building new features, improving performance, or making awesome, we're planning for the launch of the game.

We're still here. Nothing's on fire. Oh! And we're excited to get you a new build pretty soon. Stay tuned!
    Grimseff, Gorbles, Forgrimm and 4 others like this.
  10. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Aw **** son new building coming wooooo
    Grimseff likes this.
  11. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

12. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

@BradNicholson ,
    Do you know if anybody from the office has flipped through the Community Requested UI Features?
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ef3DmBUsW3faaoqqmhZFgZsyO5JUXSETY5JmXLFIPlQ/edit?usp=sharing

I am still waiting for a good chunk of the community to give the "ok" before we officially present it to Uber.
    We wanted to let Uber know what people are asking for/expecting.
    I am sure your UI people have great ideas too, just not sure if they know where the community is coming from.

Much appreciated for your time.
  13. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Brad this is good news, but it's obvious there are a few topics about which many people would like to have some kind of answer (UI, minimap just as a few examples). At about 8 weeks of the official launch, isn't there some information that can be shared on these topics, must than just the usual "we're thinking about it" ? As a community manager can't you be the voice of Uber ?
  14. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I feel you, but ... making games is hard. And there's some fluidity involved, so things are going to come together late.

When we've polished and refined our new ideas, mechanics, features or whatever we want to add, we'll definitely talk about it.
  15. Culverin

Uber surprises with awesome and does it on time.
    Like a Wizard, they are neither late, nor are they early.
    They release features precisely when they mean to.

That's a lot better than MechWarrior Online and their UI 2.0.
    It's been coming "Soon" for what, more than a year?
  16. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

I know... Although this thread made me second guess (and comment) whether you guys had set to much for too short a time (and that's really not a negative attack! I think you have a super talented team). I think there is a lot more that just hasn't went into the game because it isn't ready not because it hasn't actually been worked on yet!
  17. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for answering and explaining why at some point it's not allways possible to provide the exact answer which is requested. I understand perfectly, and i keep all my faith in Uber power ;)
  18. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I wonder if part of the worry is due to experiences with other gaming companies who have big publishers and deadlines to hit for all their other departments. With those companies, they require builds to be finished months in advance. With this game in particular, it's been fun to watch a game develop on its own and push builds to the players as often as they possibly can. But if you're used to seeing near finished production, I can understand why it seems scary.
  19. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I guess you're right, but it could also be that
    1) many of us do not have any idea about how much time is required to provide a feature (we may be over estimating the time which is required)
    2) We want PA to be as much polished as possible in order to be a million seller :rolleyes:
    3) When PA is Uber's baby, we may also feel the same as backers :)
  20. Culverin

@mkrater
    I think people worried "it's too late to fix".

- Scale
    - For marginal balance (full unit roster)
    - For "I see everything" view (that's we won't call a minimap)
    - UI

For example, the Scale Megathread was started in June.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/scale-megathread.48650/
    I think those exact words of worrying about "too late to fix" were used back in summer.

UI is probably the most anticipated and commonly requested features.
    And the list I have compiled from people is scary long.
    And that's from people used to a 2D game. This is 3D, people are hoping for more.
    Not just to meet the current gold standard (Forged Alliance).
    But to innovate even further.
    Grimseff and cmdandy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.