Full Screen Support

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Planktum, October 29, 2013.

1. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Have you guys implemented true Full Screen support? The reason I ask is because Nvidia Adaptive V-sync and EVGA Precision OSD do not work when using "Full Screen". This makes me think you are using a work around such as borderless windowed mode.
  2. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

short answer,, no
    it uses borderless fullscreen like you said.
  3. maxpowerz

i think it is being made this way to support the multi-window / picture in picture display when its implemented
  4. Planktum

I hope they do implement true Full Screen support because as far as I am aware Windowed mode is a lot more resource hungry. And I want to be able to use Adaptive Vsync!
  5. maxpowerz

this is dependent on your hardware,
    as of the last few years this is not true, windowed and full screen mode differ very little performance.
    this is because GPU's are now dynamically adjustable and don't rely on a full screen flag to ramp the clock speed up to their full potential
  6. Planktum

I would like to hear from one of the developers as to whether this is true. I'm pretty sure most games I have played recently still perform better using Full Screen. Plus I want to use Adaptive Vsync.

I have a GTX660 and Core i5-2400.
  7. maxpowerz

just some quick questions.
    Do you play the game now with v-sync off?
    and if you do play with v-sync off do you get any screen tearing at any time in the game?
  8. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

The devs have talked about this. They have said true full screen mode is outdated and they won't be implementing it.
  9. Planktum

Where and when have they talked about this? Outdated in what way? It's so annoying when people quote what others say (Uberent) without reference.

This is the first time I have heard anyone say Full Screen is outdated. Without Full Screen support I cannot use EVGA Precision OSD or Nvidia Adaptive Vsync.
  10. Planktum

There is no option to turn Vysnc off through any in-game settings. Therefore the only option is to use Nvidia Control Panel but without Full Screen support any application specific settings do not work.
  11. maxpowerz

its all good i was just curious about if you got screen tearing or not,

And vorell is right, that's why i said something, if you search the forums enough and read most of the beta release threads you will find that exact answer. i think dev's back it up too.
    i can't remember but i do remember seeing a few heated discussion over the issue. good reads hunt them down if you can
  12. maxpowerz

I'm not saying your point isn't valid either, some features like SLI/Crossfire wont work without traditional fullscreen,
    but i think there are also ways around this too, so maybe the dev's may be able to implement a way of enabling those features you wish to use on your card without the need to engage the traditional resize desktop and take main window/game as render priority full screen mode your seeking :)
    Last edited: October 29, 2013
    Planktum likes this.
  13. rick104547

rick104547 Member

In other games i get quite a huge difference in fps. Minecraft for example gets me 30% more fps when running in full screen. How can this be outdated????
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Planktum, shootall and Quitch like this.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Only CrossFireX, SLI works just fine for windowed applications.
    maxpowerz and shootall like this.
  16. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

I have experienced the same in other games. I cant believe that there is no performance impact without true numbers. If it is true that crossfire does not work with window mode thats another problem that has to be dealt with.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

30%? Wow, I'd like to see numbers on this as well. Any known benchmarks?
    Even though by now I basically only play windowed fullscreen via a script because it is the only way Windows actually can handle multiple screens. I don't want the game to completely disappear every time I write something in irc. It's kinda bad of windows to do that.
    Crossfire on the other hand... your fault for using a problematic technology like that :p
  18. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Planktum and Quitch like this.
  19. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

You know that graphics performance is very expensive and even 5% is a lot.
    When we speak about support for problematic technology they should make the game windows x64 only and not support anything else.
  20. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

You know that graphics performance is very expensive and even 10% is a lot.
    When we speak about support for problematic technology they should make the game windows x64 only and not support anything else because its a waste of money to support multiple systems.