Banning players from Lobby, Ban list

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by spazzdla, October 28, 2013.

1. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I have a list of a few players that are the kind players when you own every planet they will just jump from planet to planet via transport to extend the game as along as possible..

Or turtle up on one moon and go to bed.

A) I want to be able to ban these people from my games.... it makes it widly unfun to play with people like this.

B) Has anyone setup a site of players that are a "DO NOT PLAY AGAINST THESE TROLLERS".. like in Dota.. that would be awesome.

I grow tried of games that are over an hour and a half in and people drag it out for 4 hours or potentially forever.. I usually just leave after a bit but it is widly frusterating.. like widly.

IMO the transport unit should be completely gutted and removed.. you should only beable to transport off the planet if you have an orbital station on it.. The griefing is just way to much other wise.

I usually only play 1 planet systems I create because of this but every once and while I join someone else game.. if it's over 2 planets this happends virtually every time.
    Gerfand likes this.
  2. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Or maybe a secondary victory condition?

If the other player/team out ecoms you by 100's it's an instant loss.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I don't like the idea of blacklisting players - too much scope for personal vendettas, it should be done in-game through friend/foe listing.

Honestly if I was you, when you get to the point of having 'won' the game and you have to chase a transport down or assault an entrenched enemy on a small moon then just quit the game. You know you won the game, no point wasting time hunting something down when interplanetary assaults aren't implemented yet.
  4. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Ya I suppose I'll just start doing this a lot earlier.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  5. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

And than they add ladders / whatever way it will be to score players. lol
  6. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

I totally agree. You will always find the troll/kid that want to annoy you. A ban list or a temporary always kick features would be good
    Gerfand likes this.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id rather have a system that allows users to 'up vote' good and nice players.
  8. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

I had a game where the people just quit because we were winning. :(

I don't want a 'ban' list unless it is done in a way in which trolls themselves cannot take advantage of it.
    stormingkiwi and brianpurkiss like this.
  9. archcommander

I agree. I would just add that you need to tell the player you are quiting before you do so. That in itself can be seen as trolling... as I've experienced people quitting just because they were losing without saying anything.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Well that's not exactly new to games. Starcraft, Warcraft, almost any multiplayer game, if someone's losing(especially in a game like PA where losing carries no penalties) they'll just cut their losses and quit rather than suffer through another 30mins of a doomed game.
    archcommander likes this.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

An ability to ban players is too likely to get abused. An organized group of people can ban people who aren't trolls.

Instead, there should be an "avoid" system and/or an upvote system.

Having a positively reinforced voting system is more rewarding and abuse is near impossible.

I also tend to leave a game when my opponents leave and don't come back. I know I've won.
    bengeocth, Grimseff and archcommander like this.
  12. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

That's true for majority of games out there.
    Yet majority of games work just fine with kick mechanics.
    I think you just try to create artificial problem that doesn't really exist on any notable scale in real world.
  13. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

After reading these posts, I completely agree a system that is set up to ban players or black list them is not a good idea. The Goon squad would troll the crap out of it.

Kicking pps from lobby though.. plz do add lol
    archcommander likes this.
  14. brianpurkiss

Kicking people from lobbies does make sense and likely will be added.

Although, adding private or password protected lobbies will also be a huge plus and solve a lot of issues.
  15. archcommander

True. I made the comment without thinking it through much.. this can be done in a trolling way such as joining a game only to quit or leaving in the lobby just as everyone hits ready leaving the game one player short.
  16. brianpurkiss

Maybe just a personal ban list? So if someone hosts a match, their match won't show up for you and if you host a match, your match won't show up for them.

Can't be abused.
    LeadfootSlim likes this.
  17. archcommander

Yes something along the lines of a favourites list or the ability to make a group/list of players with its own chat or sub-lobby. Together with that.
  18. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

I like this idea. Sort of like an ignore list for users you don't want to play with again.
  19. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

people asked for this in SMNC and it didn't happen. i have to agree with the choice.