Laser or bullets?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SatanPetitCul, June 24, 2013.

1. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

I think beam style lasers would be a good idea for buildings but not units. Practically laser towers aren't limited by planet curvature like shorter units are, and thematically it makes more sense that stationary buildings can use weapons that consume more energy while smaller more mobile units cannot.

As for being unable to tell which way the laser is going? The end that is catching fire and exploding is the target of the laser, and the end that is not is the source, DUH.

Laser towers shooting beams rather than bolts would look totally boss IMO, also AA lasers for T2 anti air. Watching them rapidly track incoming aircraft and shooting them down one by one before quickly switching to the next would be cool.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That only works up until you get to smaller planets thought, I talk about it a bit here but the basic idea is that there will always be a point where planet size will affect units/structures with Beam weapons.

Mike
  3. skywalkerpl

skywalkerpl Member

I'm totally fine with units being affected by planet size. This makes game only more interesting and forces you to change tactics depending on a playing field.

Though I'm not a big fan of beam lasers. I don't know - it just doesn't look epic while used on a ground battles (best example: SupCom2/XTA). They'd really need to work on the F/X to actually make it attractive and interesting.
  4. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

I bring back the topic alive for two question :

Does uber will implement laser beam, for laser tower defense ? Are they tall enough to be unaffected by the curvature ?

But the most important question, Will we have a color code for laser (beam or projectile) ? Red/Green/Blue weak/medium/strong it is quiet simple to integrate and it increase a lot the readability of the battlefield.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

bullets and gunpowder too!
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Watching the Live Stream yesterday I've been a bit frustrated by how Tanks shot at the moment. It looks like they're throwing small rocks.

A tank when it opens fire with its main gun, should crack the air with flames and flash of light, and project shells that travel at hugely high speed in straight line (specially due the reduced distance in games) and hit the target almost instantaneously.

Someone here posted a video from YouTube showing that effect. And it is awesome.

On the contrary, the actual Tank in game doesn't give this level of gratification. It looks like it's using the same algorithm of the artillery, but low powered. And let us forget the grenadier...
  7. Devak

Devak Post Master General

There are still plenty of cases where curvature won't hurt.

Like, orbital weapons, planet->orbit and Orbit-> planet weapons.

Air (and air-interaction) uses missiles a lot.
    Lets make Projectile-style used by ground/naval
    Let's make Beam-style used by Orbital.

should make it easier to read what's going on in a battle. Besides, laser turrets can still use the current laser pulse (but please with color).

An alternative is to make the bullets secondary-colored.