How do you slow the rotation and orbit of a planet

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Dylex, October 24, 2013.

1. Dylex

Dylex New Member

says it all in the title.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

With extreme difficulty.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Right now there aren't fine tune controls for this.

I imagine in the future you'll be able to set stuff like that.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

This you beat me to it.
    zaphod said the answer, considering your post on the airplane height thread I'm starting to doubt your coherency.

Here's scientifically exact and you're like "the game can't do everything, screw science" and on the airplane height you're like "let's make it more sciency and have it more true-to-life" wtf?

planets spin faster closer to the sun, did you know that?

try putting the planet further out, it works.
  6. brianpurkiss

I am well aware of a planet's spin being effected by the distance to the sun in game. I didn't mention that since Zaphod already did. I was simply informing OP that a setting will likely be introduced to allow for more fine tuning in the future.

However, distance to the sun doesn't directly correlate to rotation in real life. Venus is closer to the sun than earth, rotates backwards, and one rotation takes about a year. And Mercury, which is even closer to the Sun than Venus, rotates slower than Earth but faster than Venus. A Mercurian day is 58.65 earth days.

So I'm not saying screw science, especially since what you're saying is scientifically inaccurate. I'm simply saying that a setting will likely be introduced to do what he said. In the meantime, Zaphod already told him what to do.

There is no need to initiate a personal attack and make slights in regards to my mental health. All comments on the forums should be on topic to the discussion. Attacks against a person, their intelligence, their looks, etc all are unwarranted, uncalled for, pointless, and against forum rules.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude chill I'm sorry ok, I don't know why I made a link in my head with how PA works and how the solar system really works. (I'd completely zapped it, I dunno how) anyways it wasn't a personal attack, please don't take it that way.
  8. brianpurkiss

I am completely un phased. I'm no newbie to the internet and there are few things a random person on a forum can say to get me riled up.

I'm just saying, there's no need to ever attack someone's coherence, intelligence, or anything at all. It is not constructive at all to any discussion on the forum.
  9. meshakhad

meshakhad New Member

Planetary rotation is independent of distance to the sun, and it should be possible to change that. I'd suggest a different structure to a Halley. I'd like to propose that the structure be called a Tycho, after the very awesome Tycho Brahe.

The orbit is of course directly dependent on distance from the sun, as demonstrated by Kepler.
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. Dylex

Dylex New Member

Does mass affect rotation? Or what exactly does changing the mass do?
  11. zaphodx

No. It affects which planets can orbit other planets, and how far they can orbit from it.
  12. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

So far, I think mass only affects the number of engines you need to move it.

In real life sure, but I've seen moons that needed 25 engines to move.
  13. zaphodx

<250 radius takes 3 engines. 250-350 takes 25 engines. It is independent of mass.