Are there ever going to be space ships that can battle?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SneakinPanda, October 21, 2013.

1. SneakinPanda

SneakinPanda New Member

I think it would be great if there was a factory that could be launched from the orbital launcher into space that could fabricate space ships. There could be large mother ships like in star wars and smaller fighter class ships designed to protect larger ships that could attack planet like a laser platform does.
  2. EternityCoder

EternityCoder New Member

It has been confirmed that there will not be deep space units. Orbital units will exist only orbiting a planet.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Do a search before posting.

This come up at least once a week.

No, there will not be deep space battle.

The arguments are several layers deep. One, very cost intensive and Uber has a tight budget and deadline. Two, that wasn't the original scope of the game. Three, adding space battles would make gameplay crazy complicated.

It may be added down the line or in a mod.

Would be pretty cool to have 10 man army matches with ground combat, air combat, orbital combat, astroid smashing, naval combat, orbital combat, and deep space combat. It would be ridiculous. Like. Beyond anything imaginable. But, would only really be viable in the Army game type.
  4. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Would lead to people just playing the space game in the end anyways. No point having a land battle if u just send fleets everywhere.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  5. Ginastic

Ginastic New Member

I hope not.. I wanna fight my battles on land and air.. not space
    llamanose100 and Murcanic like this.
  6. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I do think however it would add some crazy dynamic gameplay though......... I think it would only ever be done in a mod of somekind, and then we're beholdant to someone producing some really nice art for the ships and space stations, otherwise it'll look just terrible lol....
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It would add some crazy gameplay. Gameplay that is too crazy for one person to actually play.

But that's what the Army game type is for!!!
  8. verybad

verybad Active Member

If you gotta be on a rock for supplies, then you'll fight on a rock. I think deep space fights may eventually get modded in. I'd like to see them, but as people are mentioning, it would add to the complexity and cost.
  9. Devak

Devak Post Master General

The answer is actually yes.

People modded in spaceflight in Supcom so i don't see why some talented modder (especially since the audience is already there) will pick it up and add it in. After all, the title says "ever" which is a lot of time to develop a mod.

For release and probably the "vanilla" game? nope.
  10. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I wish to point out that Neutrino mentioned something about space combat in the... lets see... not the last stream but the one before that perhaps, or the one before that?

Anyway, they were talking about how to deal with commanders in transit between worlds and he said something like this "Maybe we will add space combat that so many of you wants".

(It might have been meant as a joke, but its hard to tell.)

Im just saying that maybe the "no deep space combat" shouldent be seen as a "100% set in stone, wont ever happen for release" thing anymore.

And even if Uber dont add it for release, they have mentioned that it might be possible expansion material, so the answer isent a clear "no".
    Last edited: October 22, 2013
    iron420 likes this.
  11. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

TBH I'd rather see it on orbital level only (spaceships fighting in orbit of planets, where the satellites are) and that there be no orbital bombardment except for laser platform. I'd be willing to accept that spaceships must enter atmosphere and descend to arial level before they can attack ground and air assets. But we only really need one spaceship to do that.

So how I would do this is I would add an expensive orbital unit (orbital weapons platform). Basically a space bluebottle/behemoth , that follows the same physics as an asterus: Orbit locked (cannot move freely through space, can change planetary orbits), while in orbit it is targeted as an orbital unit (with the exception that this one can fight back) and can perform the S. Move to enter atmosphere where it is targeted as an air unit that would take 5-10 T2 fighters to take down. This would give us the ability to launch invasions of planets that have too much orbital defense, but no ground defense and would cut down considerably on the need for orbital lasers (they are cool, but I see them as a kind of super weapon; orbital artillery, the only unit capable of true orbital bombardment, so you only need to make a few rather than whole armies).
  12. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

Gotta love how people are throwing information like "there will be no space battles" when in one of the streams they said they were looking into it...
    archcommander and tatsujb like this.
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

^^ Well, to be fair they did say "There will be no space battle at release" before.

But yea people shouldent be so certain all the time.
  14. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

Then that's their problem for acting holier-then-thou when they know F-all.
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/space-combat.46366/#post-724750
    corteks likes this.
  16. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

well this is PA, not HomeWorld 3.
  17. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

Your point?
    You're the example of what I mean.
    They stated in a live stream given the unforseen developments given commanders in space and movement within it it makes sense to develop some sort of space warfare.

I don't have time to go find the exact video. Suffice to say, enough have people have seen it to verify that the notion of "no space combat" isn't as solid a "no" as it seems.
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Shall we make a wager about the presence of space combat in the release version of PA?
  19. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I think the statement on space combat before the "commanders in transit" problem was that they would try to make it so that people can mod it in. In general however, i expect a mod on this. Maybe not today or tomorrow but soon enough
  20. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

Nope, because "looking into it" =/= "will be in".
    Neither does "looking into it" =/= " won't be in".

Same deal with shields. People run around saying "there won't be shields" when quite clearly they said "There probably will be, just not in release."
    People keep using absolutes in their terminology and it's misleading. That's my issue.