Scale Megathread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 24, 2013.

?

The size of units and structures in PA should be :

1. Decreased a Whole Lot

122 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Increased

37 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Left as they are

132 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Decreased

271 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I feel like such an a s s doing this...

But numbers don't lie.

CANYON HEIGHT.jpg
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i agree that this visual concept differs a lot from the current game style.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

X'D
    jesus christ that makes it so flagrantly obvious
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I'm hoping biome Height and Width will be scalable in game.

It would be good to have both small and giant, canyons, trees and other things.
    And have them all changeable in the system editor.

I think this is what the "broken" biome scale slider is for.
    That or it is for adjusting how much of each biome appears on planets.
  5. tatsujb

apparently the models aren't scalable like that. (as of yet i could say) on that note Uber if you do implement this, make sure to seperate it from the current height range slider, which mainly changes how round a planet is.

if you want a sensation of "big" you need a round planet, low, flatter (but very broad!!) moutains, and very very small units and trees.
  6. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

The image Culverin has actually seems to be the right scale.
    No idea what's happened in the mean time.
  7. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Indeed.... I don't know if its at all possible to change things in the .json files to change the scale a bit?
  8. maxpowerz

No, not that i have found , and any changes you make wont reflect server side.
  9. vackillers

yeah a shame thats kind of what I thought, server wouldn't allow any changes... I think I might have found something in the .json files though in the last line:
    [3.59127,2.45547,3.58814],"TEMP_texelinfo":4.07719,"influence":{"range":80,"values":{"Land":40,"AntiSurface":20}}}

changing the land value and antiSurface might change the size the unit takes up on the landscape
  10. maxpowerz

try this
    make a backup of the earth.json
    make your changes that you want to see.
    load game, then goto the system editor, make an earth planet, hit preview, look at the planet it will reflect some of the changes you make to the .json's :)

try lots of different things, i change the atmosphere colors and stuff, and how far each biome appears from the water layer and its height range.

i have also made a new biome called "Alien" its a modified canyons biome on my own planet template.
    here's the thread, it doesn't work ATM but it will when game is release as it a work in progress.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/alien-and-utopian-colored-biomes.52147/
  11. tatsujb

12. tatsujb

Last edited: October 27, 2013
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I really do hope that, if not now, that later on the biomes objects and interactivity (Like walking on stuff) become widely expanded to really play into the random generation of the game.
  14. tatsujb

YES! same here!!! especially since I love navy!
  15. vackillers

Thanks for those links there tatsujb, was definitely interesting reading the devs responces, and I do find it quite unreasonable that people tend to jump on the devs back a lot, too much if you ask me. I do think that the curvature of the planets really isn't the problem to be honest its the size of the biomes and how everything is in relation to stuff like canyons, I used the advanced camera angles to take a look I believe they used to be ctrl+m and ctrl+space or something which enabled you to look flat against the terrain and the issue was still there. I do however think that the scaling of the units might not need to be tweaked at all, the planets and how tall mountains/canyons ect.. could definitely work easily just as good to bring the sense of epic scale to the game. Perhaps a tiny tweak of both would work, making the biomes slightly bigger, with the units and buildings just slightly smaller which I think would give the perception of massive scale via a tiny tweak... No idea how much work that actually entails, but a way they could do it is to change 1 unit and 1 building, post pictures in the backers lounge and go from there, see what everyones thoughts are? instead of doing MASSIVE changes first.
  16. tatsujb

it's just space now, like in FA, appart for the camera not moving that much afterwards. maybe there are new keys that I'm not aware of.

on topic:

the thing with making the props bigger is that they'd wrap even worse around the planet (did you see how a low water-level 200radius lava planet looks??) and that you'd have to make even bigger planets.
    Last edited: October 22, 2013
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well there could be size dependant props?
  18. sovietpride

sovietpride Member

@tatsujb

Why not include those links in the first post?

Very interesting reads.
    Culverin likes this.
  19. vackillers

I actually thought that was what the height slider was supposed to be for. Doesn't really seem to change much from what I noticed, and yeah understand what you mean about the water on a 200 radius planet there tatsujb.

Be kool to add some definition to the terrain and water, like having a raised terrain above water if you wanted to, so its not all flat shorelines everywhere dont know if thats really possible though.
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

You guys are all smart cookies having brought this up ages ago.
    Maybe not everything will get fixed.
    But at least you guys did what you could.

I wonder if a Uniform Scale might be good as temp solution, just to gauge what people thing about the relative scale.
    Maybe it'll look wonky for a bit with bugs and performance might take a hit, but at least it's enough to gauge the player base response.
    Maybe it would have gone too far. Won't know until the waters are tested.

Guys,
    I'm really glad we are having this discussion.
    None of us is as smart as all of us.
    I wouldn't have known about the camera stuff. And without the devs to enlighten us, we'd all be making ridiculous demands.

And I am very thankful Uber is giving us the time of day by responding.