Using PA engine for other RTS like games?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by RMJ, July 31, 2013.

1. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Hey.

Im just curious to what extent modding will be possible.

Would it be possible to say make a Warcraft or Red Alert like RTS that plays like them in the PA engine ?.

Its kinda something ive always dreamed about.

Like playing Red Alert on giant planet, Nations fighting against each other.

Thanks
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I fully expect this to be possible, though the extent to which the engine could be modded has not been announced by Uber.

And I'm not the only one that expects this to happen. *raises eyebrow at Uber*
  3. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Neutrino said countless time they want to use PA as a platform. That said, there will probably be about 30 games coming from PA during the next 10 years :p
  4. comham

comham Active Member

I'd like to see a warzone 2100-like mod. Modular unit construction, research, depletable resources.
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

ProTip: WZ2100 didn't have depletable resources.

Okay, well, the demo did... but each oil rig came with 2 billion oil or somesuch. I don't think I've ever used that much oil in all my WZ2100 games combined.
  6. zuegma

zuegma New Member

Something I was thinking of was something like Populous the Beginning mainly because it was also played on a sphere. But it was also very different. A lot more Micro focused especially with the Shaman but still an interesting game. But I guess anything to do with EA would have to tread carefully (Like War For the Overworld has).

But Hopefully the idea of depleteable (and possibly regrowing) resources could be a cool thing. I just think its great for the support of mods here in these early stages so a good community base can be formed.
  7. comham

comham Active Member

I seem to remember my initial oil derricks running dry after a certain point in the campaign.

I think the combination of a fairly granular research and design feature with the depletable resources would lead to an interesting match structure; the usual escalation, but instead of huge endgame battles and superweapons, all the megatanks running dry and the battles being fought by the tiny T1 units again. Assuming the game doesn't end at the megatank stage.
  8. Gardentwine

Gardentwine Member

perhaps they could make RTS games, based on games like ( Homeworld - Sword of the stars)

could you imagine exploring the universe using this Engine WOW!!! would come to mind.
  9. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

You are aware that Homeworld 1 and 2 are getting an HD remake.

As well as the original team who made Homeworld were making a spiritual sequel (chronologically a prequel)...
    Then Gearbox acquired the rights.
    Then passed it off to them.
    So the spiritual sequel will actually be a Homeworld game made by the original team?

I see Uber licensing this engine out....
    That should get them some good long term revenue.
    1st 64-bit native game that I will own.
    LavaSnake and thetrophysystem like this.
  10. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

I'm not sure. I think they want mod but not a total conversion. Some derivative work from PA but not a full new game.
  11. Ginastic

Ginastic New Member

i would love a new dune rts, been waiting for years..
    stawos likes this.
  12. stawos

stawos Member

Dune Annihilation! :) Can't wait!
    vackillers likes this.
  13. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I don't think they will allow total-conversion mods, like turning PA inside out to meet the C&C universe for example, its a tough one to call but I think they've said that in one of the livestreams, you can mod a LOT of stuff but no total conversions...... I think? I guess its still up for debate, it will really depend a lot on the art assets and just how much we'll be allowed to change.........
  14. vackillers

I have to admit that would simply awesome, this game is almost built for that too when you consider the planets and how they work.... I have failed to get a whole planet thats pretty much just only sand though lol... Bring on those thumpers and Sand Worms :D
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So, because some people will use IP without permission(keep in mind it's not Uber's responsibility to stop these people, it's the IP holder's) we should totally removed one of the best features for long term modding?

Mike
  16. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Citation needed.

Find that stream please, because I think you're wrong on that subject.
  17. vackillers

I hope I'm wrong and miss-interpreted what they meant... I'll find the stream

Edit: couldn't find the stream i was looking for, i would have to spend hours going back thru every single stream to find it which is something im not really willing to do just spent the last 2 hours going through some lol... but the comment was made about not wanting modders to change the core game engine and stuff like that, which is what a TC mod actually does.... Perhaps would could get some clarrification from a dev about exactly just how far we can actually mod? I remember it being a question posed to the devs durring a match they were streaming if that helps any but i couldn't find the actual stream sorry
    Last edited: October 22, 2013
  18. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

hey give it to me to make a F2P RTS(of course will never take on PA or FA).
  19. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I think you remember them saying they don't want the engine to be modded totally to make mods.

Which is why they are making mod hooks. Where you make files to plug into the engine, and the engine is taught to read files that are plugged in. This way, the mod maker doesn't need to literally open the game engine to adjust things.

Honestly, in this endeavor, they want to make as many things moddable from the outside with hooks, so nobody ever needs to screw with the engine to add features. So if you think of any features that would genuinely benefit for the engine to support, and I don't mean small things like independent weapon control from the unit ai, I mean actual values that if the engine supported meant many new possibilities to tie into customization, then feel free to discuss it aloud.

To conclude, I see custom total conversions, knockoff total conversions, tons of individual unit models roles and designs to add to the original PA, and I hope like everyone else that this does become a platform both for modders to build games from scratch and for other full size games to follow PA on. This was a pretty successful kickstarter, it could do this.