Differenciated Radar Blips and The General Approach to Intel

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 8, 2013.

?

Should radar blips :

1. be like now

62 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. be more in depth suppressing some micro

149 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Good to know
  3. tatsujb

still need different blips.
  4. tatsujb

really really still think this needs to be changed.
  5. dekate

dekate Member

while we are talking radar, i had the idea of short and long range radar systems, like short is high accuracy which shows many blibs, but has limited range.
    and long range radar is as the name suggest a long range low accuracy radar, showing that there "is" something moving... if its a blob of units, only a set number of these units get shown as blibs, but as soon as this blob moves into range of a short range radar, most or all of that blob gets shown as blibs...

and i want a sound notification that there is something in my radar range... esp on large planets where coverage is not 60%+ all the time

also i never seen a single of my arty turrets fire from itself only at radar blibs... they aquire target, but wont shoot as long es the target is not in LOS

i voted.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The radar should indicate whether it's a unit, building, air, naval, or orbital with a different shaped blip.

Makes sense from a lore standpoint and will make radar more useful and won't make it OP.

At the very least there should be a dif blip differentiating between ground, air, naval, and orbital.
    Culverin and tatsujb like this.
  7. tatsujb

thank you!
  8. tatsujb

yes good idea!
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

IMO, blips based on size, not layer. If a radar can't tell the difference between two structures, why should be able to tell the difference between a structure and a unit standing still?
    delta1441 likes this.
  10. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

We don't want this game to turn into a memory exercise. If the unit moves at any point its unit-ness will be betrayed. I guess you could have an "identified as unit" flag which is tripped whenever a unit moved and zeroed when it moves out of radar range, but that seems like a pointless complication when giving radar blips air/building/ship/sub/orbital/unit categorisation is simple and can use the icons already in the game.

If you want a technical justification, say that the 'radar' also includes limited seismographic capability and can detect a building's foundations.
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. tatsujb

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...xed-land-radar-blips.49424/page-2#post-764593
    THIS
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  12. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Diamond shaped radar blip: Land unit
    Upward facing triangle shaped radar blip: Air unit (Looks sort of like an airplane and implies being above something)
    Downward facing triangle shaped radar blip: Naval unit (Looks sort of like a boat, and is the inverse of the air symbol)
    Square shaped radar blip: Structure (alternately structures could just register as land or naval units that aren't moving)

Not sure about space units, but they might be round radar blips, also larger units might be larger blips.

As it stands it would be nice but not 100% necessary as you can already sort of guess what radar blips represent by how fast they are moving and how tightly they are grouped.
  13. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Units tend to cluster together in blobs, while buildings end up appearing more spread out and arranged in orderly rows. You can tell the difference between a base and a group of units just by looking at them. It would be impossible to build buildings close enough together to mimic a tankblob, and it would be impractical micromanagement to arrange a bunch of units to look like a base.
    delta1441 and Quitch like this.
  14. BulletMagnet

But you could space out a bunch of units to look like buildings.

Also, we're yet to see how units orient themselves when formations are added.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  15. brianpurkiss

I wish I could like this post twice.

There's technology around today that can differentiate between different layers – and people are saying it won't be around in the future?

It makes so much sense from a lore standpoint as well as a gameplay improvement standpoint to differentiate between the different layers on radar blips.
    stormingkiwi and tatsujb like this.
  16. tatsujb

thanks!
    yea it's actually also possible today to detect VERY small movements on such technologies as radar.

even a normal radar has extreme precision in terms of the exact speed (of cars for example) things are moving at.

you get caught speeding this way in france, I don't know if this is also a method in the U.S.

Anyways, the main thing to remember from that is that we've backed the antithesis to Starcraft (normally... ...(right????)) what I mean by this, is a game not oriented towards build-memorization and APM but strategy conception and macromanagement.

((and I feel Uber may be letting themselves get corrupted here as they mentioned on the last livestream they're thinking about implementing a APM meter, which even if I have nothing against it, it is USELESS and simply a rough translation of smoothening the adaptation in the most pointless way for starcraft players, and this allowed me to see that maybe not all things are certain ways because of beta))

might I remind you that while for starcraft, there are sometimes updates to the best build (strategy) once in five years because some new genius cracked a loophole in 'the strategy' that noone had yet seen, FA has yet to know a "best build" and it won't. it just won't, people blow our minds with strategies we never thought of DAILY on this game. do you people realize what that means? is that not a mouth-watering thought? don't you want to be the creator and not the follower? an artist?
    Last edited: November 6, 2013
    Culverin likes this.
  17. brianpurkiss

Mind expanding on the AMP meter?

I'm mostly unfamiliar with Starcraft.
  18. tatsujb

APM actions per minute, a count of all mouse and keyboard buttons pressed measured in time. In starcraft II it's basically safe to assume the best players also have the highest APM.

see uber? the people lining up for this game don't even know what apm is.
  19. BulletMagnet

APM is relevant in all games. How it's relevant varies.
    Quitch likes this.
  20. tatsujb

okay it's close to non-relevant in PA, that's how

back on track : what do you think about the blips?