Would uber sell the rights to MNC?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by teapot, October 15, 2013.

1. teapot

teapot Post Master General

To those who think I sound crazy calling MNC highly competitive, I openly invite you to our private match sessions. You can easily see what kind of learning curve and skill gap there is, and just how it compares to SMNC.

This game has seen a nice variety of console gamers who have competed in various games and won money from events, or at least placed. From Rainbow Six Vegas, to Call of Duty, to Halo 2-3 and even Shadowrun. Then of course there have been clans who compete like Type Z.
    naka333 likes this.
  2. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody would buy the MNC franchise and even if they would, I don't think they would deliver a good comp product. Casual market is bigger and easier to satsisfy on almost every front. Why bother spending countless man hours perfecting netcode and input handling, play testing and debating with highly skilled players, adding competitive options, when you could just throw some **** together and tell people they're awesome for landing point-and-click shots?
  3. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

SMNC has amazing potential to make money, but they made some bad decisions. Like pulling the best uniforms and weapons from the store and overpricing items like the Demon Sets and Tea Seat. Pros are overpriced as well

It sucks to say, but at this point I probably make more money from SMNC than Uber does. And I really try hard not to sell items that can still be bought in the store for Cash, I usually just try and trade them for TF2.

I'm trying to give back, I WANT to give back. I donated $100 to PA and still haven't played it yet. Just because I wanted Uber to have my money. I want to pay for a final update in SMNC to work out the existing balance issues. I'd be willing to Kickstart anywhere from $2-4 grand just to see this game continue. Hell, I'd be willing to pay them just to intern there and get involved.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

"existing balance issues." There are none. Unless you are talking about reworking death products.
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Uber has a very specific art style and way of delivering atmosphere; another developer doing an MNC game would just feel too different, I don't think they'd be able to deliver the same level of perfection Uber has with the announcing, the atmosphere, the general feel of the game world.
    Besides, Eka and Scathis have stated numberless times that SMNC is their baby, and I doubt they'd give it up.
  6. teapot

I don't think it would be too hard for another company to mimic Uber's style of artwork, and the atmosphere practically writes itself. The day I downloaded MNC I understood it's concept and the concept alone was enough to entertain me. When I signed up on the boards I even asked Uber if they took a lot of Mickey Cantor's personality from the gameshow host Van Tastic from Whacked!

They already provided us with the atmosphere, it shouldn't be that hard to keep it up.

Not ideal, but 4jStudios could probably work a bit of magic on this game unless I don't know what I'm talking about. They made the HD remake of Perfect Dark from N64, with online gameplay. Getting the netcode down for a game like that which wasn't designed for online gameplay must be a pain.

SMNC I don't know much about, but I know console players like what console players are used to. We don't like long methodical battles that are won through tedious poking methods in order to out level our opponent. I much prefer MNC's style of small maps in which map control can switch in a single play, where the characters are so balanced that they have a chance of killing any class in most situations. SMNC might need a lot of issues fixed, but MNC doesn't need many.
    naka333 likes this.
  7. teapot

I've spent a good amount of time just asking various members from Uber if they had the time to talk about various things in MNC from balance, to competitive insight. I just wish one of them actually were interested in this discussion.
    naka333 likes this.
  8. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

That tells you a lot though.
  9. teapot

What does it tell you? To me it shows me that anything MNC related isn't high up on their priority list and that they seem uninterested in talking or discussing the game. They've stated multiple times their too busy but I constantly see random banter from their twitters that show they do infact have some spare time to just talk.

Everyone keeps telling me MNC is uber's baby, but yet they want almost nothing to do with it.
    naka333 likes this.
  10. jbeetle

It tells me that they don't have the time or interest to talk about it. not high on the list, try not on the list at all. for you to be satisfied with any sort of discussion, it would require more time and effort than they have considering neither SMNC or MNC makes money. it's more than just snowballing ideas with fans.
  11. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I think it's safe to assume that Uber isn't interested in selling the rights to MNC.
  12. teapot

I'm not looking to snowball ideas despite the tone I have when I say they did miss the boat on a few things. I'm more so interested in how they created their work, and what various thought processes were when it comes to balancing the game. Tons of great things that were put into games were essentially mistakes or oversights that ended up working out 100x better than intended.

A specific example is does uber feel that being able to fly with the gunner and aim/shoot is considered cheating, or something they were trying to avoid? Jump jets on PC were put on cool down because of the ease of movement + aiming on a mouse and keyboard. It's a bit more difficult to do so with a controller because of the position you hold it in. However, a high number of players do it with ease. Many on the competitive side feel the jump jets should remain the way they are because the gunner's mobility is so low compared to the other classes, that it's the only saving grace to playing the class.

There's more to it. There's a lot more to it actually, none of which involves snowballing ideas with fans. It's a simple discussion about the game they created, not what I thought they did wrong and need to improve on. I just like to stay educated on the games I play, sometimes the information you learn can actually help your gameplay, and sometimes it's just cool to know.

For example, halo CE's spawn system works on a proximity based system, in which is spawns your teammate in the closest spawn point within 7.5 meters of you. When you stand in various locations on the map where no spawn points are within 7.5 meters of you, you get whats considered a "random spawn". It picks a random one within the game and spawns you there. The difference in knowing these locations and when to use them can take two equal teams finishing around 50-45 down to a 50-20 level. I can post a map for you that shows the depth of the spawn system (only halo 1)

Or, the minimum a bullet will deviate from the halo 1 pistol is 0.035 and the maximum the bullet will deviate due to it's spread is 0.060.

Why do I need to know that? I guess it can sorta help your aim, but I personally enjoy looking into the more technical side of the competitive games I play.
    naka333 likes this.
  13. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

It's not just MNC, it's the whole console shooter scene. Especially this one mechanic which has sadly become a staple on the platform; aim assist. I couldn't find anything that explicitly stated that it's banned anywhere, maybe it's just me not knowing how to google. On the PC's comp side you would get instantly banned if you're running anything that resembles an aim assist of any sort.

Why would you play games where precision is the key on a platform that forces you to use inherently less accurate methods of control (which in turn forces you to compensate for it by having software help you play the game)?
    Last edited: October 22, 2013
  14. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Lol aimassist is on every shooter on consoles? Seriously? All i hear from console peeps is them claiming pc gaming is a hackfest but they forgot to mention they are all using aimcheat on console i guess.

Never took console gamers seriously but after reading this lol.
  15. jbeetle

of course there's a lot more hacking on PC, but it's not like it's running rampant in the competitive community, nor obviously is it encouraged. I don't think aim assist is encouraged, it's just more of a "meh game feature I'll allow it" -type thing. (just like to clarify that I love a challenge, but I'm not hardcore comp mode. I'm ignorant in that skill category)
  16. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.

Controllers are fine for some types of games(racing games, fighting games, platformers, etc), but I don't see why would want to use one in a competitive shooter.
  17. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

Are you serious? Consoles need aim assist. I want to see you try and play with a controller without aim assist, because it is really ******* hard. Without it gunfights would be so derpy because nobody would be able to hit each other.
  18. poiuasd

Almost every big shooter is also available on the PC.
  19. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

I prefer PC also and believe that it is better suited for shooters but you said that aim assist has sadly become a staple on consoles as if there was another option.

The only thing that can be done is to remove controllers entirely and only use M&K but since that is unlikely consoles need aim assist.
  20. poiuasd

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's impossible to get good with just the sticks.
    calmesepai likes this.