It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. niallator5872

niallator5872 New Member

How about some kind of slow moving bomber, like a Zepellin, or a Flying Saucer? It would have no defenses, but have very high armor. Basically, something that, if you could keep it alive long enough to get into an enemy base, it could deal tons of damage quickly. Also, make it slower than the commander, so its more of a base destroyer, and less of a commander sniper. Could be cool to have a Hindenberg-esqe explosion when its destroyed as well.
    extraammo, corteks and archcommander like this.
  2. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

3. dekate

dekate Member

http://bulgarov.com/images/AmbulanceMech_ChernobylRoad.jpg

gunships please...
    fighters should fly like bombers do currently (fighters needs guns and swarmy missiles imo !), and those gunships would then be anti tank/structure vtol units.
    armaments of course, rockets/aa missiles/aa guns/at guns/autocannons... pick two ?
    i want to be able to blow up **** ... nothing more :p

PS: i dunno, is it allowed to post links like these ? ... if yes, there is a ton are some pics of other bot type "units" on that page, even a 4legged crawler tank and a pretty nice infantry bot thing...
    iron420 and Culverin like this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I don't care in what form it comes back in, be it scout, EMP bot, etc. I just want to see a small four legged bot called the Flea which hops rather than runs, ala TA.
  5. nuendo

nuendo New Member

This idea is completely awesome. I really like the idea of "segment" robots that are able to repair/reproduce itself. It looses a few segments? No worries we will build new ones!
    Cosmic worm omg <3 :D

Out of curiosity you were thinking the segments as mines themself? Like the worm sacrificing a part of itself to deploy a mine? I find that cool!
    Last edited: October 20, 2013
  6. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Orbital nukes!
  7. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Nag.. orbital lasers are way more powerful than nukes.
  8. namelesst

namelesst Member

I am a little late to the forum scene so I apologize for jumping right in here, especially if this 28 page thread has this suggested already, but there are 2 units/items I really want see created.

1. Interplanetary tactical nukes. Can be stopped by regular anti nuke at destination. Crippling expensive to build/operate. Perhaps a greatly reduce blast radius.
    2. Interplanetary drop ships. Dedicated to war units, capable of dropping 40 regular tanks (80 bots, 40 tier 2 bots, 20 tier 2 tanks etc etc) Or something of that number.

The reason for this is that I am discovering myself taking control over the starting planet then doing a bug hunt on all the remaining planets. Typically dispatching radar, orbital fighters and laser satellites to each planet simultaneously to try and mop up and contain.

Occasionally one of these players will have been there a while and be quite dug in. I believe it would be epic to be able to launch true invasions with dozens of landing craft and hundreds of tanks. Interplanetary nukes would have to be crippling expensive to balance. Perhaps a much smaller blast radius.

At this point I would be happy if orbital landers could grab tanks. Just thought I would mention this and see what people thought.

Thoughts anyone?

**Edit. Found someone else wanting an orbital drops ship in the early pages. EXCELLENT. here's to hoping
    Last edited: October 20, 2013
  9. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

IOBM Have been confirmed (basically the current ICBM will reach the moon of it's close enough, I think.

I think dropships were confirmed also (The egg concept), but I'm not sure - The egg concept only suggests that we might be able to select the "expeditionary Force" to start the game with, but last time I heard anyone mention this was just before alpha on a livestream . But I think we will definitely be able to bring large scale invasions.

And ah int: when you've taken control of the starting planet and some moons and your enemy is only entrenched on one of them you either:
    - Smash some asteroids (quick and easy, but not always possible)
    - Use your severe economic lead to build somewhere form 50-250 orbital launchers across different planets an have roughly 25% producing orbital radars (redundency), 25% orbital fighters and 50% orbital lasers. Your lead will ensure you that you have enough units to replenish any loses from enemy counter attacks and eventually after a very tedious amount of time waiting the server will either crash or you will ensure orbital superiority with fighters and overwhelm their umbrellas with sheer numbers (only 50% of their targets will be actual orbital lasers and they don't do any AOE). Then you bomb their commander.
  10. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

My vote (albeit late) is for a basic unit for countering turrets. Give it low dps, but a great range.

A radar unit would also be awesome.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  11. gadarn

gadarn New Member

I love the holo-tank and EMP ideas!
    bradaz85 likes this.
  12. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Modular Transport Drop Ship

A interplanetary transport that holds an unlimited amount of units.

Basically units just clip onto it and become part of the "transport" unable to fire while joined to other units. The more units you have clipped in, then the bigger and slower the ship is. The bigger it is, the tougher it is.

Any damage taken could be spread across all the units clipped into it...so potentially, if you have 1000 units clipped in, making a very big transport ship, that would be incredibly tough, even being able to take multiple nuclear hits.

It slowly land on a hostile planet, being punished by the defenses as it it coming into land and then all the units release back into separate bots that you can then control. Any damage taken while in transport mode would mean that all units may be slightly damaged from the trip.

If enough damage is taken, then all units are destroyed.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  13. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

T1 Wild Bot
    Small and agile bot. Moves in a zig-zag pattern, making it exceedingly difficult to hit with projectiles, but is individually fragile.

T1 Arc Lightning Rover
    Fast wheeled vehicle, does relatively high damage that chains to close groups of units. Useful harasser and strong at flanking bot swarms. Potentially amphibious, but cannot fire while skimming over water.

T1 Probe Artillery
    Ultra light artillery unit. Artillery projectiles give a small area of vision and radar. May potentially stick to victimized units rather than doing damage.

T1 Mortar Missile Tank
    Basic artillery unit. Launches weak high-arc attacks at a slow rate. Capable of slowly damaging unit blobs from a distance and safely picking off defensive towers, given patience, but are helpless if overtaken.

T1 Volatile Rush Bot
    Fast assault bot. Weak attacks, but explodes violently on death. Difficult to use in large groups, but a strong weapon in close proximity or when delivered via a unit launcher.

T2 Hunker Bot
    Fast response tanking bot. Temporarily hunkers down when hit, dramatically reducing its speed and increasing its armor. Very vulnerable to harassing units, but highly effective in pressed battles.

T2 Heavy Siege Bot
    Assault mech armed with a shorter-ranged splash-heavy Holkins cannon. Slow turn rate and speed make it vulnerable in combat, but provides excellent fire support against bases and navies.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  14. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Light artillery with long range and high firing arc. But if enemy gets too close the artillery switches to a direct-fire mode. This was done in Supreme Commander 2 and I liked the idea. It was fun to watch artillery change from lobbing shells to blasting bots in the face. There was an energy cost, but it was worth it. An attack force of bots would get literally shredded in mere seconds.
    This could be implemented into mobile units.
  15. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

SHARKTOPUS!!!!!
    archcommander likes this.
  16. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

It needs to be an air unit using a tornado to move
    archcommander and bradaz85 like this.
  17. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

with sharks flying around it which can absorb projectile fire
  18. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

How about a building that creates earthquakes.
    For what reason you may ask? I don't know, just imagine something.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  19. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Kinetic javelins for orbital. Spend metal to create a javelin, pinpoint accuracy basically the sniper version of orbital
    iron420 likes this.
  20. namelesst

namelesst Member

I put some more thought into the drop ship idea after reading through several various suggestions on the theme. I will focus purely on drop ships in this post as they are my primary concern.

Small unit 1 Cargo space. Tier 1 Bots.
    Medium unit 2 Cargo spaces. Tier 1 Tanks, Tier 2 Bots
    Large unit 4 Cargo spaces. Tier 2 Tanks

I would like to see 3 transport units.
    1. Tier 1 drop ship. Relatively cheap, moderately fast. 20 unit cargo space.
    2. Tier 2 drop ship. Moderate cost, some what slower than tier 1, double hp, 60 unit cargo space.
    3. Planetary invasion ship. Very expensive, Decent hp, half orbital fighter speed when in orbit. 200 unit cargo space**** air units only.

The planetary invasion ship stays in high orbit when moving or unloading aircraft (drops them to their fate in the sky) and stays in lower orbit when loading aircraft. Umbrella may fire at aircraft for (X) amount of time while they drop to their proper elevations.
    Tier 1 aircraft = 1 unit.
    Tier 2 aircraft = 2 units.
    Tier 1 drop ship = 5 units.
    tier 2 drop ship = 10 units.

The Planetary invasion ship would only act as transportation and a mother ship to launch from. No defenses. Loading either drop ships or air units allows for options when invading a planet.