Why stop at Weaponized Moons?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by yarrik, October 7, 2013.

?

Compress Gas Giants into Black Holes?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Hell yes.

57 vote(s)
    57.0%
  3. Make it so.

33 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I do not like the idea of black holes in any form or fashion. OP game ender that wouldn't be any fun for anyone except for the player using the trollish tactic.

It's a everybody loses tactic as it'd destroy the solar system. It's worse than com bombing at the start of a 1v1 match.

Also doesn't even make sense from a scientific standpoint. PA solar systems don't have enough mass to create a black hole.
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

You know, I just had an awesome idea, and it sort of relates to black holes. What if there was some sort of weapon or device that, when fired at a celestial body, increases its mass or gravitation attraction. It alters the orbits of almost all the objects in the system, and might even start to suck in some closer, slower planets. It would be a good way to initiate a short-range engagement in the late game.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Mod, methinks ;)
  4. Telvi

Telvi Member

You can take Moons to smash whole Planets why we should use black holes. Just put more Engines on a moon to make him faster and to do bigger impacts. The Planet will burst in parts. After a few minutes you can go with the astraeus on the fragments and steer them into other planets. Sounds for me much bigger fun then a black hole.
  5. ethannino

ethannino Member

I'd like to be able to do more things on gas giants than just mine them, but turning them into a black hole seems like an extreme jump.

Gas giants are supposed to have metal cores, so maybe you can siphon, mine, or blast off all the atmosphere leaving a metal rich planet behind.
  6. gamerx112

gamerx112 Member

and then what? the black holes sucks everything in thus creating a draw. what would be the point in that. WHY would I waste 30-60 minutes playing against other players just to have it all end in a draw. and if its something stupid like building it makes an instant win like how endless space does things then NO. it only promotes turtling.
  7. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

How about the sun is a black hole instead and you have to win before everything gets sucked into it?

Seriously though why would a gas giant become a black hole? How does that make any kind of sense?
  8. Telvi

Telvi Member

I Think this would be an idea for another game mode. Where the time is limited to 1 hour or less to defeat the enemy and then to go to an other planet.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You could have it as a scenario where one team wants to destroy the universe and the other wants to stop them. Some people just like to watch the world burn!

[​IMG]
    shootall and michael7050 like this.
  10. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Common misconception about black holes- its the gravitational gradient that rips you apart, and if black holes are large enough, it can be low at the event horizon, even in if the magnitude is very large.

That said, a red matter weapon would be amazing.

Not to mention the newly created black hole would evaporate in a blazing ball of hawking radiation almost instantly. Which would also make for a rather interesting weapon- instead of smashing your moon into you, Ill just convert it to energy and glass your planet instead. Or super high energy plasma, whatever works.
  11. verybad

verybad Active Member

Instead of black holes, allow the construction of Wormholes. These would allow instant transformation form two points in the system. Wormholes would orbit just like moons, and might be destroyable (with a large result).

This is far more interesting than black holes killing off the whole group of people playing, gives a strategic element, and isn't stupidly OP.
  12. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

I've pitched planet cracking before. Like, you'd be able to set up drills around the planet and they'd go to town, eventually annihilating everything on it.
  13. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

This is a great idea. We should be friends.
  14. Telvi

Telvi Member

What happend then to the planet?
    One thing from me.

I Think the planet should be break in to pieces. After a while, when the mass is cooled down 5-10 minutes, you can land on those pieces and build engines or other stuff on them. But there shouldnt be metal spots or craters. Just pieces like asteroids.