Could we have a "surrender" option added?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Arazu, October 17, 2013.

1. Arazu

Arazu New Member

In a lot of the games I've played recently, it seems people don't know about deleting your Commander in order to surrender, and when they want to stop playing/give up/want to surrender they just leave the game, leaving their Commander and forces in the game. This mostly becomes a problem when you're the winner and you have to play out the rest of the game on your own to end it.

The "Leave" button is useful for disconnecting/reconnecting, so how about adding a "Surrender" button to the menu which has a similar effect to Deleting the Commander?
    Quitch, LavaSnake and zihuatanejo like this.
  2. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Surrender sounds wimpy. Make it more awesome.
    Initiate Self Destruct

And then have some cool sound and nuclear symbol flashing over the entire screen with a countdown.

And on the other player's screen it reads: Radiological spike detected, imminent enemy Commander explosion. Game takes control of the camera and shows the enemy Commander mushroom cloud. In a game with more then 2 players, it doesn't take control of the camera.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

EDIT: Deleted - I should read the actual post not the title.
    Last edited: October 17, 2013
  4. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

This is a must.
  5. ftwrobert

ftwrobert New Member

While I get why this is an issue, I hate the idea of surrendering. IMO, if you're winning, you're going to have to hunt my commander until I can't get away any more.
  6. Arazu

Arazu New Member

So stay and fight till your last breath, that's fine. The problem is people who don't do this and leave the game, and then you are on your own in a game you have won, but you forced to keep playing until it's "official"
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I think it's less of a "they don't know to delete their commander" since they could just walk it to your troops, but rather a "just quit because they're going to lose without regard for the other player". If they wanted to really surrender thy'd probably say "How do I surrender?" but no, 90 percent of the time they just quit without telling anyone in a VERY rude and childish way.

An obvious "If you leave you forfeit the match" sign would be much better for 1v1 or FFA situations.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

And that's perfectly fine. I do the same. But the key is the opponent is continuing to play.

OP's issue, which I have encountered and strongly dislike, is when a player leaves and I'm playing against no one for 5-10 minutes.

I like that option.

Having a "surrender" button below the leave button on the menu. As OP said, this allows players to leave, restart, etc without losing the match. But for people who are done and don't know about destroying the commander, or even people who do, this is a way to concede.

There will still be trolls who leave and we fight against no one. But that's unavoidable.
    ftwrobert likes this.
  9. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

IF surrendering was an option, the person surrendering should be penalized, like -10 percent build speed for a week.
  10. ftwrobert

ftwrobert New Member

quote="Reflexx85, post: 808140, member: 1954663"]IF surrendering was an option, the person surrendering should be penalized, like -10 percent build speed for a week.[/quote]
    I disagree, if for some reason I suddenly had to take off, I shouldn't be penalized for handing the other guy the game when I was clearly winning.
  11. ftwrobert

ftwrobert New Member

In addition to a surrender button, I imagine the timers on the server could be adjusted once the official release is out and 99% of the stability problems are worked out.

if you've been disconnected for x minutes and no reconnect attempts have been made, then the server surrenders for you
    corteks likes this.
  12. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

well I ment those who surrender, clearly if I'm playing against you and then all of a sudden I noticed a lack of base activity, one of two things you are off planet or you had to leave... either way I shall kill you now, but those who choose to willingly surrender should be penalized in some way, even if the penalization happens if someone leaves during the first 3-5 minutes, and no penalization after that time period.
  13. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Most games would have you DQ'd on disconnect, but that's clearly not an option in the beta. During release may be another story.

As a small aside, a confirmation for self-destruct with DEL on Commanders would be nice.
  14. unverle

unverle New Member

I don't understand why you would want that. PA may have different mechanics for losing from other games (the whole commander thing) still, sometimes a game is lost even though your commander is alive.
    And I'm not even speaking of outside issues yet... If I have to leave for example.

Why would you penalize anyone for not wasting your time and surrendering ? At least in 1v1 and FFA, I could understand that in tem games, because it annoys your teammates, but you could just AFK and it would have the same effects.

I really don't understand why you would ever want to penalize someone for surrendering rather than waiting for you to kill them without actually doing anything.
    Last edited: October 18, 2013
    zaphodx likes this.
  15. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great idea, I've had quite a few players just abandon their game against me. Incredibly frustrating because there's no notification except for the greyed out player name, which you don't tend to check.
  16. Arazu

Arazu New Member

That's a terrible idea, This just forces people to keep playing games that they have lost, it is just as bad as forcing people to keep playing games they have won after their opponent has left the game. Losing is enough of a penalty, it's a much better idea to give more incentive for winning, otherwise people will just stop playing the game when they lose.
    jurgenvonjurgensen likes this.
  17. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

I wish people would read the whole thread rather then just post after they've read something they don't agree with
  18. Arazu

Arazu New Member

what? my reply still stands, you should not be penalized for surrending...
  19. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

in the first 3-5 minutes yes you should
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Without enemy control, how cannot you snipe the commander in moments?