Scale Megathread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 24, 2013.

?

The size of units and structures in PA should be :

1. Decreased a Whole Lot

122 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Increased

37 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Left as they are

132 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Decreased

271 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

That render isn't on a planet, I highly doubt that that render is on a planet. I guess it is just a picture made as a concept, it is not made on a sphere though, that's why you do not see any curvation. Also, the buildings are obviously not the buildings we have in the game but just the very rough models from the size chart, at least that's what it looks like.
  2. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Decreased a bit, only to make planets bigger, w/out making them bigger.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that is already done, look well
  4. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Yes, I agree.
    I am pretty sure that is just a concept photo as well that isn't made on a sphere.
    But the thing is, it doesn't matter if it was on a sphere or not.

Let's look at the logic here:
    Observe curvatiation != No curvation
    You walk around a spherical planet every day.
    Does it look curved to you? No? Why not?
    Because perspective.

If you were walking around on the surface of a soccer ball, it would seem rather small.
    But on the same soccer ball, to an ant, it would seem infinite, and flat.

It's an issue of relative size difference.
    The size being your height and the planet radius......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bigger and "taller" you are, more spherical the planet will seem.
    I believe the mathematical terminology is "limit of a function".
    If the ratio of "H+R" : "R" is very near to 1:1, then you treat it as 1.
    At which point, the surface of the planet become infinite.

So......
    Going back to you point about the render,
    If the planet was sufficiently large, you would not observe a curvature in the render.
  5. Culverin

ooops.

In conclusion.
    Relative size difference is a big deal when it comes to scale.

- Relative size difference to planet
    - Relative size difference to terrain.
  6. hanspeterschnitzel

Yeah, but seeing curvation isn't bad in PA. I find it actually gives you more of a "planetary war" feeling. You see the curvation, see multiple nuclear explosions at the horizon, see whole armies move over it. The curvation is just part of the feeling of playing on a sphere.
  7. Culverin

Can't argue that.
    It's pretty cool to see something out of the corner of your "camera eye".

I guess maybe it's expectation.
    I was hoping we would hit that 1,000,000 unit goal.

Over 10 planets, That is 100,000 units/planet.

I wanted to see 10 players with 10,000 units each fight over Cybertron with massive towering structures that dwarf my army.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess I'm a bit of a dreamer sometimes.
    archcommander, bradaz85 and tatsujb like this.
  8. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I think the scale is fine, could be tweaked a little here and there, but I think this whole idea should be more of a mod rather than how the game should end up being, that way for people who love minitures with massive battles with the terrain perhaps being more realistic, can do that.... There was already a mod that actually did this for SupCom 2, and did it very well....... You would loose a lot of the details if you scaled the units and structures right down, but the whole idea of having 1000s of units fighting around huge mountains and huge towering structures that dwarf your armies would indeed be awesome!
  9. hanspeterschnitzel

Hey, Culverin, I am still for making the units a little smaller though! And the trees with them so there is a bigger size difference between mountains and trees.
  10. Culverin

Perhaps I am speaking out of turn again, but I think that's what a lot of people thought they were Kickstarting...
  11. hanspeterschnitzel

I swear those macro order threads are hiding.
    I cannont find them. I simply want to add to them that for nuke-bomdarments between planets we would need to be able to select all the nuke launchers on a planet and then give a chain of attack orders and each nuke silo takes one attack point as their attack point, like, you get a little number next to the cursor that says "10 nukes left to place" and then you just place them, if you only place 5 the 10 nukes will distrubute themselves equally over the 5 attack points.
  12. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

A better scale could be done by decreasing the size of every unit (half the size) and change the camera angle. But maybe this is not everything.

If you look at the desert biome concept you will see another point: the environment.

You must compare the scale of the units to the scale of the environment. But if there is no outstanding environment (like in a flatland) you can't compare the scale of the units to it. The sense for scale is lost.

It would be cool to have a dense environment anyway. Lots of rocks and cliffs and trees.
    tatsujb and Culverin like this.
  13. hanspeterschnitzel

I found something out. The buildings in that concept art are as big as the buildings we have right now. The plateus are just bigger. Look at the scale pictures Uber made, the ones with the 50 meter long bar showing the scale of the game. The plateus in the background are WAY bigger than the ones we have in the deserts right now and dwarf the buildings. The concept pic is just made out of those models.
  14. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Well, not much to add to this topic. IMHO the scales are a bit off and if the units where a bit smaller the planets would look bigger. Then the game would get that MASSIVE WAR feel. ;)I don't know about other ppl but I hope they scale it a bit, but I guess time will tell.:cool:
  15. Culverin

16. ub3rmicro

ub3rmicro New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with culverin, especially on the desert concept pics point, I think if the scale of units and planetary objects ( and by inference planets) were to scale as seen in the desert concept pic all would be well.

My 2cts
  17. hanspeterschnitzel

Culverin, the macro order threads, I seem to not be able to find them. You know, those threads asking for area commands and what not. I wanted to add the attack order suggestion to that.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you can no longer search for thread or conversations

but they can still be found if you remember terms from them through google
  19. Culverin

If you find, let me know.
    They should be compiled in the GUI thread too.
  20. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

If the game ends up being just like those desert biomes concept art, I will probably have to be tied down to constrain myself..... the concept arts are one of the reasons why i backed the game in the first place and i hope that they can get the game looks as close to that as possible, scale and all......
    bradaz85 and rorschachphoenix like this.