The dreaded pa.exe has stopped working

Discussion in 'Support!' started by blackbaron1945, October 8, 2013.

1. blackbaron1945

blackbaron1945 New Member

Hey, I bought the game when it was first available in alpha and was unable to play it because of the pa.exe error. I fiddle around with everything but couldn't seem to find the problem. I can run it on my lap to (Razer Blade Pro) and the specs on my PC (the one it won't work on) are above that. Here's my DxDiag:

Attached Files:

2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

cwarner7264 likes this.
  3. blackbaron1945

blackbaron1945 New Member

Yeah I updated the driver and it didn't change a thing, the error message pops up as soon as I run the game (have also tried running it as admin)
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thanks for report, I'll PM you.

We creating crash report with other person who own this card ATM
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Okay this is new bugreport I talked about: FS#2432
    I'm need to ask you for cooperation, we'll need to get your log and crash dump as well.
  6. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Is it possible the 460 doesn't support the needed version of opengl?
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No, even GT 8600 support required version already.
  8. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

okay, just a thought
  9. NapoleonSolo

NapoleonSolo New Member

Semi-related topic, is the WHQL driver better for this game than the latest beta one? (331.40).

I'm getting frame rate drops when I start building things and wondering if it's worth rolling back the driver.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For obvious reasons Uber are develop game and test it on latest drivers only, or at least they update drivers more often. So I totally sure it's better to stick to latest drivers.

Better check this bgolus post:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...e-effects-simple-particles.50948/#post-779005
    And decrease emissionRate in media/pa/effects/specs/fab_spray.json
  11. NapoleonSolo

NapoleonSolo New Member

Wow, I wrote a pretty detailed response and my post just got lost when I clicked 'Post Reply'. Oh well.

Thank you for your response SSX. Just to clarify; by 'latest driver' you mean absolute latest including beta drivers, not just the latest WHQL driver?

Thank you for linking that bgolus post. I appreciate there is a lot of work to do on the LOD systems. That will certainly help with the engine is trying to draw lots of nano lathes on the screen. I feel my issue could be different, though, as my frame rate is halved when just the commander is building at the start. Surely a single instance of a particle effect shouldn't be enough cripple my GTX 570, right?

I have disabled Steam overlay and all other OSDs. My searches do not yield any other potential fixes.

This conversation is getting away from drivers now. Perhaps I should start another thread?
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think for Nvidia you don't need to install "beta" drivers, stick to latest WHQL.

Actually I'm not think about that before, but you can check this. In game (when your commander build something) enable FPS counter using Ctrl+P and then try to toggle UI using Ctrl+U. I totally sure you'll see 2-3 times better FPS without UI.

This is happen because when you build top UI bar need to be updated more often and this updating kills FPS. There is Colin's mod which prevent it before:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-slowbars-54357.50349/
    But I'm not sure if this still keep working or not.

Actually I don't sure if this required. All problems with UI performance actually well known to us and developers too, there not much can be discussed about that.
  13. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

if your game loads, and it's only crashing when you try to create a game, wait until the red circle next to your name turns yellow and then to green, then try loading a game. That was my issue irregaurdless of what my drivers where dated at.
  14. NapoleonSolo

NapoleonSolo New Member

Just tried this, my frame rate returned to 60 fps with the UI disabled. The Slowbars mod also still works and means that I can play the game without early game frame drops now.

Thank you SO much. Are Uber aware that the UI refresh rate is still an issue?
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

16. xerics

xerics New Member

i have the latest drivers and its still crashing. This is unbelievable. i am running a GTX 460 which is way more then enough for this game.