Will metal planets ever get oceans?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by krakanu, October 2, 2013.

1. ascythian

ascythian Member

Water on metal. I can live with that. Means naval will be important to some degree on metal planets.
  2. AyanZo

AyanZo Active Member

Ah, metal planets with oceans... core prime, I miss you so..
  3. comham

comham Active Member

I can live without water on metal planets. Not everything needs to be everywhere.
  4. captainshootalot

captainshootalot Member

The geometrical shape of the metal planet could create some interesting water bodies, which would result into interesting naval battles.

Im thinking canals and stuff.
    ethannino likes this.
  5. ulight

ulight Member

I'd like to see water height used for something on metal planets. However I think metal planets need to stay navy free. A few ideas...
    • Acid, amphibious units can move through it but take damage.
    • Wreckage, can be reclaimed but can also be used as "natural" walls.
    • Plasma leaks, areas covered in a plasma mist that damages units in it.
    • Neutral units/buildings, that defend the planet from players. (non-base building ones.)
  6. comham

comham Active Member

That's not interesting though, that's literally just a straight line. The lead ships can plink each other and that's it.
  7. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Core prime and Seven Islands are examples of very good Metall maps in ta.

Metall planets with Water is a must have. Limiting Metal planets would be stupid.
  8. rec0n412

rec0n412 Member

Someone mentioned the idea of pools of coolant on metal planets.

These are weapons of war so damage would not be unheard of, and considering the scale of these things it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that there is enough coolant available to flood a large area.

As for differences in elevation I'd think that Ring-world would provide an answer here; because, a large asteroid impacting a metal planet would not only provide the impetus for a difference in elevation, but also the means to allow that much coolant to flood the area.

Now, whether or not naval game-play is suitable for a metal planet I couldn't tell you. Considering that the current answer is that there will not be water on metal planets it would seem to put the discussion to rest.

For now. ;)
    (let the mods commence)
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Ok guys so i want lava, ice and trees on metal planet ....
  10. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

XD
  11. rockemsockemrobot

rockemsockemrobot Member

Ocean option on metal planets would definitely be cool, especially if it's a rare find. The people who prefer metal planets to be ocean free can simply generate metal planets with the lowest water line. I think everyone can win with that option if implemented.

I think in general, the variety of geographic features of the metal planets could be increased.
    ethannino likes this.
  12. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

why is everyone asumeing there would be WATER on the metal planet

metal planets are suppost to be the planets that are a deathstar that needs time to get to be operational and thus it would be under construction and should visualy be under construction too so cant you just add pools of liquid nanites where consturction is happening thus giving water like area which hover crafts can go over but no naval can be built on
    ethannino likes this.
  13. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

why would there be acid on a metal planet
  14. Azirahael

Azirahael Member

I want more variety.
    I want more options.

I want water on some of my metal planets, and not others.

We have planets where ground units cannot operate (water worlds, gas giants)
    And ones where naval cannot (any dry planet)
    why not ones with no aircraft? Like moons.

You don't have to have water on your metal planets.
    I want the option.

And hey, it worked for the Core home world.
    ethannino likes this.
  15. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

This.

Options:
    -Disable units
    -Disable buildings

Moon
    --Air: On/Off

Metal
    -Superweapon On/Off
    -Metal spots or Full Metal planet

Water on metal planets is not planned, I think Neutrino said this. So someone will just have to mod the Planet Editor.
  16. ulight

ulight Member

As a chemical energy storage for it's primary cannon.
  17. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

OIL!!! Put OIL on a metal planet, that can catch fire and spread and erupt AND make the planet self explode!
    ethannino likes this.
  18. ethannino

ethannino Member

THIS^^^

The primary concern seems to be that if one type of planet has features of another type of planet, nothing will be special anymore. Since the beginning of this thread, the proponents of this idea have offered numerous caveats and potential solutions to this criticism. NO ONE is suggesting that all planets should be a homogenized gray slurry with equal amounts of every biome type:

The critics seem to always go to the worst case scenario of new suggestions... Why, yes, if an idea is implemented poorly, it will suck. What a novel insight the naysayers have brought to the table. I guess my counter to that argument is, what if it's done right? With an appropriate number of hybrid worlds to archetypal worlds, with features that make them unique to both (or more) parent planet types. Someone mentioned oceans of fuel on a metal planet that will ignite as ONE possibility, and the possibilities could be endless.

But if you want the all important choice to play on one metal planet over slightly bigger metal planet as the only option, no one will FORCE you to put oceans of gasoline/acid/lava/nothing on it. It's not an imposed decision on you, it's just an extra option for whoever wants to use it, I guess that's the important distinction to make here.

And if I want to go into the planet maker and make a wholly unique planet, why the heck not?
    Last edited: October 13, 2013
  19. ethannino

ethannino Member

It could be that glowing green goop engineers and fabbers use to build, it'll heal your naval and building on it is faster than building on land.

Excellent idea!
  20. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

OR how about make it a game option so people can do either or