Energy to mass

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by spazzdla, October 7, 2013.

1. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

.. Do want. Do so badly want.

Perhaps at orbital level so one still needs to get some actual real mass, although I do love a turtling in a little base then wiping everyone out with nukes.
  2. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

You expose the perfect argument to not integrate energy to mass feature.
  3. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Supcom changed from turtle mode to SC rush style.. it didn't go well.
  4. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

I never noticed such. My typical game of supcom lasts around 40 minutes. That hardly counts as "rush".
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Do not want. Instead of playing SimCity in <10% of the map you could just expand and capture all that metal that's just sitting there.
  6. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I supposes once the rate feature is working that will allow my "sim city" games :p. Supcom was very popular when you could make your commanders your main resource source.. just sayin.
  7. extraammo

extraammo Member

I don't really like that some people seem to support the balance of the game forcing a certain play style.
  8. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

From what I've noticed playing randoms online, about half of the PA community's players turtle. And I get it, turtling can be fun. You've cut out a piece of land that you develop and grow to fight wave after wave off of my turtle-cracking attempts. Each one of us trying to out do the other with new ideas and attempts.

I only assume it's as fun for them as it is for me. Everyone complains about the turtle, when I see a challenge. A fun challenge which is a part of PA. Am I the only one here? Let them have the mass converters, I have no objection.
    Last edited: October 7, 2013
    mizati, Culverin and fergie like this.
  9. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

I like to turtle, or porc as they used to call it...

Apparently, because others don't, it's to be discouraged.

The way I see it, if you don't like people turtling, kill them. If you can't, pffft, call yourself a gamer.
    mizati, fergie and hahapants like this.
  10. SatanPetitCul

I don't want to hurt anyone, so please don't take it personaly.

Players who turtle do it because they are not able to expand. Manage a big territory with vague frontier is a difficult thing. You have to be aware everywhere, you have to accept to lose territory, you have to take it back and rebuild etc... Actually you reach your cognitive limit quiet fast, you have the feeling to make 1000 thing at the same time and to do everything badly. This is exhausting !

On the contrary if you surround your little base with laser tower and do your little business localy, it is cool. You can focus on your next bombing raid or plan the next nuclear attack quietly. And i totally understand people who want to play quietly.

That is why, i think good players expand and take advantages, and less good players prefer turtle and try to survive (and sometime they win also).

BUT (because there is always a but)

If turtling become more interesting than expansion, if you are not reward for you expansion, if you can go faster by producing your own metal from your energy. The good players will also stop to expand they will also turtle, and you will not appreciate it. Because they will turtle better than you, and when you will have your first T2 bomber you will receive a nuclear bomb on your head !
  11. SatanPetitCul

And btw the game will be completely broken.
  12. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

Not necessarily true!
    mizati likes this.
  13. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Why do they do it then? I had always imagined they couldn't mentally cope with having to manage more.
  14. Yemm

Yemm New Member

I'm on the fence with this. On one hand conversion would be useful in free for alls where you get an awful spawn and it's awkward to expand without starting too many unwanted battles. On the other hand I really like the current direction of the game, forcing people to expand and start mini-battles everywhere provides for some incredibly interesting gameplay.

I guess we'll just have to see what direction Uber takes the game; and if some people don't like that, there's always mods.
  15. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I like to turtle because launching a nuke in 14 mintues in TA was just super halarious. (It was a metal map so ya lol) I was the turtle champ in TA.. turtle champ. Also the bombers where OP.
  16. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

Why do they have to be able to justify it, especially to others who just plain don't like it?

I can mentally cope with an expansionist game. I have a defensive nature, though.

It's always fun to play against regular opponents, who think they understand how you'll play each game. They're always surprised when you stuff them, by playing some games in a slightly different manner from the "accepted" way.

This game should not (Nor do I think it will....) be built to only satisfy the needs of a particular style of player.
    This game must appeal to any and all varieties of RTS players.
    hahapants likes this.
  17. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I used to turtle when playing spring. My I didn't like the idea of leaving metal extractors unprotected and suitable to raiding with a single unit. I thought that I would be worse off having built and lost them compared to not building them to start with.

Later I realised that it doesn't take long for your metal extractors to pay for them selves and that if they do raid, they won't find them all.

Anyway, that was what went though my mind and I guess other peoples too.
  18. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

You can still turtle, and grab resources before anyone else gets to them.
  19. SatanPetitCul

I don't want to force anyone to play in a particular style. Actually i'm the one defending the variety of play style. I just say something obvious:
    if turtle > expasion = everybody turtle
  20. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

However with two equally skilled players, the player who expands should win more of the time over the player who doesn't.