Linux FOSS drivers issues and fixes

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by SXX, August 27, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Most of my time I'm playing PA with open source drivers, so I'm decide to create thread to track all PA issues related to them. I also will try to report bugs to Mesa when I'm have enough time to test them properly.

Actual issues list:
    1. [r600g][intel] Wrong missing/mixed strategic icons. FS#1599
      bug_wrong_strategic_icons.png
      Wrong selection boxes and healthbars. FS#1595
      bug_round_selection_box.png bug_round_healthbar.png
      Missing or random unit task icons (on shift).
      bug_wrong_unit_task_icons.png
      Check second post for workaround.
    2. [r600g] Thin lines on textures stacks on max zoom. It's very same with anisotropic filtering glitch on Windows:
      bug_thin_lines_on_textures_stack_1.png bug_thin_lines_on_textures_stack_2.png bug_thin_lines_on_textures_stack_3.png
    3. [r600g] Broken sun shader. Reported on freedesktop #68527. According to Vadim Girlin that probably won't be fixed for old shader compiler, but it's working with LLVM.
      bug_sun_r600g_nolllvm.png
    4. [r600g] Lighting bug of moving parts in air factory. It's still black even when it's lighted. #4
    If you know issue which not listed here please make detail report about it here.
    Please include this information:
    • Screenshot of bug.
    • GPU model
    • Used driver and version of Mesa
    Last edited: September 11, 2013
    shootall likes this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This is post to list all fixes/tweaks which help to bypass problems related to open source drivers.

Currently there is only fix for sun shader. As explained in first post sun shader working with LLVM shader compiler, but as I checked it's not yet suitable to run PA (at least with my hands), so I decided to fix shader so it's will compile successfully.

First I checked that Uber used in shader this implementation of Perlin noise:
    https://github.com/ashima/webgl-noise
    For some reason it's conflicts with R600g shader compiler, so I'm find a bit different implementation:
    http://www.davidcornette.com/glsl/GLSL-noise.zip
    I'm played with code a bit and modify original sun shader, so it's working now. Probably this shader not looks as good as original, but it's working for me.

Modified sun shader screenshot:
    fixed_sun_shader.png

-----------------------

Workaround for cursor/icons/etc bug. Originally posted by Yrrep on bugtracker: FS#1595.
    1. Get Coherent UI debugger from this topic:
      https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ui-debugger.50276/page-2#post-800540
    2. Copy "html" directory and "Debugger" executable (from Linux subdirectoty) to same folder where "PA" executable located.
    3. Run PA.
    4. Run Debugger, press "Go", then open each "Coherent UI view".
    Now icons will work like they should.

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 11, 2013
    Trelotrino and shootall like this.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Engaged for list of outdated/fixed bugs.
    Last edited: September 9, 2013
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Old (bug new in list) bug related to shadow on moving part of air factory.
    bug_factory_lightng_1.jpg bug_factory_lightng_2.jpg
  5. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

r600 + LLVM + sb
    Got several of these:
    GL_INVALID_VALUE in glTexSubImage2D(xoffset+width)

Also the glitch with walk-mark on the ground (in attach).

Also the sun seem to break after I moved to fedora from gentoo. Weird.

Attached Files:

6. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

BTW, the requirement for MESA is S3TC support (libtxc_dxtn), which everybody seem to forget about.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This can be fixed using UI debugger, seems like icons atlas loaded incorrect on game start. It's most likely Mesa issue because in other topic it's was reported that's won't happen in some specific cases (when game runned just after start of system).

Default sun should work on with LLVM shader compiler, are you sure r600 compiled with "-enable-r600-llvm-compiler" flag? By default it's disabled in Mesa, so I doubt it's enabled in Fedora.

Anyway you can use my shader as replacement.
    Last edited: September 12, 2013
  8. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

"-enable-r600-llvm-compiler" only enables it by default, and yes, in fedora it's off. But the support itself is switched by -enable-gallium-llvm flag, which definetely should be on. After this the LLVM backend can be enabled with R600_LLVM=1. At least that's the theory. I still can't find a way to check if it's really on or not.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you got this error in game logs (try to run PA from console or check ~/.local/Uber*/P*/log dir):
    Code:
    EE r600_shader.c:158 r600_pipe_shader_create - translation from TGSI failed !
    EE r600_state_common.c:754 r600_shader_select - Failed to build shader variant (type=1) -1
    It's mean LLVM backend isn't used. You can check my issue on freedesktop bugtracker, thanks Vadim Girlin who answer on it. This is shader compiler bug and it's won't be fixed.
    Last edited: September 12, 2013
  10. mjog

mjog New Member

I'm getting the corrupted cursor bug on Ubuntu Saucy on a i7 with Sandybridge gfx. Following the instructions above:

Running the debugger yields a all-cyan window (flashes pink briefly before turning cyan) and no Go button. Any thoughts?
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Have you tried to wait a bit? Also are you sure you put Debugger binary and "html" directory as I posted?

E.g you need to download debugger, copy "html" to game directory near to "media", then copy Debugger in same directory where PA executable located.
  12. mjog

mjog New Member

I did copy the binary and html dir into the right place, yeah.

How long a wait are you talking about? Just gave up after waiting about a minute. Although on re-reading the debugger thread above, it seems there is an incompatibility between the oct 4 patch and the debugger?
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, it's should work just fine.

Try to download this archive:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/ohu94i
    It's contain both: old debugger and old Coherent, but it's still will work with current version of game.
  14. kexD

kexD New Member

Any advice what to do with this debugger problem?

Attached Files:

15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Obviously this:
    Code:
    12405 17:00:41.914120 W | PID: 12406 | 12425 17:00:41.898740 [12406:12425:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(195)] Surface 0 cannot be referenced.
    What hardware and drivers you using?
  16. kexD

kexD New Member

Attached lshw results.
    This time I was running that on intel card. Running debugger on nvidia card with "optirun -b primus" gives me cyan screen. Running debugger with optirun -b virtualgl just causes crash.

Nvidia driver is 313.30. Mesa drivers are from ubuntu repos

Attached Files:

17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Why do you ever want to run debugger on Nvidia card? o_O
    It's connect to Conerent Host though HTTP, you can run it on Intel HD.
  18. kexD

kexD New Member

I tried because it wasn't running on intel one :D
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This is pretty strange, I'll test it on my Intel HD3000 soon and report back. :)
  20. mjog

mjog New Member

No luck with the old debugger, either. This is also on an Intel HD3000, so I wonder if that is just not supported?