Space navy?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by the42c0w, October 6, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I to am an advocate fore many different types of anti-nuke all with differing effectiveness.

Hopefully based on the promo-trailer nukes countering an asteroid will be only a way to mitigate the damage.
  2. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

I want to take Asteaeus to be able to pick up a Leviathan and take it into orbit. That is the only space navy I want.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I like how this topic keeps coming up, and every time someone thinks they were the first person to think of it.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

As I've said elsewhere, I think this is more ss a problem stemming from the fact that the Interplanetary systems in particular are far from fleshed out yet and still missing many key elements rather than there being a fundamental flaw in the Core mechanics of Interplanetary gameplay.

I will say that it still COULD be a fundamental flaw in the Core mechanics of Interplanetary gameplaybut that it is simply too early to tell yet.

Mike
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Do a search before posting. This has been talked about before.

What you are talking about will not be in the game.

Orbital is barely working. Currently there aren't methods for breaking planet fortifications – however, there will be.

Things like the unit cannon and the egg will be methods for breaking defenses.

I'm sure Uber has other plans for invading planets. Time shall tell.
  6. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

I was just replying to the thread. I didn't start it and yes you are correct this has been discussed.

Originally they were very against the idea but I think they have seen the problem possibly from playing the game themselves as the last live stream hinted at. Maybe it's a balancing issue but I can see problems with trying to invade a planet based on having played such a game... the problem is currently it's impossible when the planet has been fortified.

In practice it can't be done. In theory people are afraid spaceships would interfere with ground battles. I don't want that lack of balance either like most people.
  7. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

That's why I suggested 1 very costly orbital unit the size of a destroyer or cruiser that can descend form orbit to bombard the ground and fight air units. It's efficiency ration would be lower than ground or even orbital fighters
    but it would give us the ability to make and defend our beachhead. Alternative is we get ion cannons to shoot the ground from an orbiting celestial body (preferably both) then we assault with unit cannons.

Also teleport tanks: a special kind of T2 tank that can teleport to any place on this or nearby body. Being able to build our own metal planets would also be awesome. And let us not forget that you can spam 100-250 or more orbital fighters, build an (advanced) radar satellite and lots of orbital lasers to do just that now.
    There are many possibilities. And hopefully by the time the game is finished we will get to play with the lot of them (rather than just one).
  8. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

I'd like to see a larger transport, for transporting larger units or larger numbers of units.

And a return back to the concept of having to load landers into launchers to fire them into orbit from a high gravity well.

The way I always envisioned it was:

Land factory sets really point for ants to orbital launcher.
    Orbital factory sets rally point for landers to orbital launcher.
    Orbital launcher launches when ant(s) and lander, have both arrived. A new rocket must be built afterwards.

(the launcher and factory can be part of one building like they are now, just have the ability to rally on itself, so that the landers auto assist after being built. Landers should also be cheaper, they take far too long to build, transporting armies, isn't possible atm.)
  9. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

no space navy in vanilla, like they say:
    this is Planetary Annihilation, not HomeWorld 3
  10. FireDrakeX

FireDrakeX Member

No matter what form it takes, there needs to be an economical way to take a fortified planet by force. The situation where you realize that someone is building Halleys on a moon and you need to stop them NOW is one that will occur frequently in this game. There needs to be a solution to that problem that can be quickly implemented. The unit cannon is a good thought, as are interplanetary nukes. But there definitely needs to be some way of gaining a beachhead on an enemy controlled planet.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Interplanetary cruse missiles?

Egg's?
  12. KNight

There are ways, but the real question is why do you need to capture the planet? You don't need to have the most territory or anything, you just need to kill the Commander after all.

Mke
  13. comham

comham Active Member

I think it would be an important and interesting choice in 8 player games and above, and one that has effects beyond the immediate "problem solved" *. I think it would be a lot less interesting to have smashing a planet the only way to deal with an entrenched enemy.

*assuming that KEW strikes deny the use of the planet for a significant period of time as in the kickstarter trailer
  14. KNight

There are Options, but again the only goal that matters is killing the commander.

Mike
  15. comham

comham Active Member

Well, in a game with lots of players it would be better phrased as "your commander must survive", and taking a planet for your use might serve that better than cracking the crust and spilling lava over everything to kill an enemy commander.
  16. KNight

And thus the options I linked to.

Mike
  17. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I know you didn't start the thread. I was talking to the thread originator with that and then I was talking about what you had said about breaking fortifications.
  18. archcommander

Okay. :)
  19. archcommander

Good view of it. I agree.
  20. archcommander

^^What he said.
    Can I add that currently this is impossible and the other issue is sending your commander into orbit thus making him invincible. Yes it's been discussed but it's highly relevant here.