Coherent UI Crash

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Tellaris, September 28, 2013.

1. Tellaris

Tellaris New Member

Its been reported numerous times, and has simply only gotten worse over time. Now, combined with how broken rejoining has gotten, its made it nearly impossible for me to finish any game of any decent length, I basically have to win within 15-20 mins or risk crashing out of the game. (Sometimes it also crashes in lobby when changing colors.)
    Coherent UI crashes have been on the tracker since early-mid alpha and I know I'm not the only one getting issues with this, its simply gotten steadily worse. What is going on with this?
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i get UI crashs all the time, only restarting PA and reconnect helps. rejoining works for me though
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

My guess: most likely Uber don't have real control over Coherent, e.g they don't have it's source code and can't really debug it and fix it's bugs. This is probably explain why there so few comments on UI crashes from devs. Also Coherent usually crash in random manner, so you can't reproduce most of crashes.

Other idea: Uber just set those crashes as something with lower priority for same reason (hard to reproduce), so they first want to finish most of game and only then they'll start to collect it's bugs. Coherent is based on Chromium codebase which is extremely big, so they don't want to fix bugs they won't met in future.

This is only my guess, I'm really have no idea how Uber want to manage this problem.
    Last edited: September 28, 2013
  4. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

We have a new version of Coherent where hopefully the problem is fixed. If not I'll have to monitor for the crash and restart the Coherent process.

The new version is not in the Beta yet. We will start testing in the office on Monday.
    SXX likes this.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Even if there will be less crashes please, please do that at least as option! o_O
    There is tons of unhappy players because of UI crashes and requirement to restart whole game.
  6. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

so installed beta today and the first thing I get in the main menu is a crash of coherent UI, every single time :/ It only appears when I click on a text field where I can enter text. So for example the Login field or the number fields in the system editor. Also the embedded video when clicking on the ß-symbol does not work (UI crashes and video does not play). I can click on all the other buttons though and also go to the settings and stuff. Is this known and will it be fixed?

created task here aswell:
    http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=2335

dxdiag:

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 2, 2013
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I wonder how game start at all, your drivers are extremely old:
    Code:
    Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
    Driver Date/Size: 12/17/2009 16:50:56, 4684288 bytes
    You need to install generic drivers from AMD website:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx
    First try to download and run "AMD Mobility Radeon™ Driver Verification Tool". If it's give you drivers to install just use them.

If it's say that your hardware isn't compatible you need do that:
    1. Backup important information from laptop.
    2. Download and install "Latest Beta Driver" from same page.
    Usually generic drivers don't cause any problems, but I'm recommend back backups anyway.
  8. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

the problem is that I can't install newer generic drivers because it makes my system unstable, I then get constant grey screens of death after playing for an hour or so (a particular problem of the Asus G73J notebook), already tested several drivers and went through all the guides available. The drivers I have now are the latest drivers specifically for this notebook.

Well I think drivers have nothing to do with the coherent crash though. If drivers are a problem then they should be before the game starts or ingame, not in a menu that is based on webcode, right?

edit: Installed the latest generic AMD driver for testing and I still get the same coherent UI crash. so it is definitely not the drivers. New dxdiag with updated drivers:

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 3, 2013
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Not really, Coherent using GPU acceleration for "web pages" rendering, so actually bad drivers might crash it easily.

It's possible that crash you met is not related to drivers, but with 2009 drivers you have mostly 0% to play game anyway even if crashes will be fixed.
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

New drivers causing instability or not, you're gonna need to update your drivers. I'm actually shocked drivers from 2009 will even work. :/ Maybe try the Omega drivers, see if those are more stable for you than the default ATI drivers. They hand tweak the drivers quite a bit more.
  11. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

+1 to the Omega drivers. They were the only way of reliably keeping up-to-date on my old Asus laptop.

Now I think about it, I've only just relented on my swearing off Asus products for years after all the driver malarkey that laptop put me thru, with my latest video card purchase.
  12. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

Last edited: October 5, 2013
  13. klapmongool

klapmongool New Member

I bought new hardware and i have the same crash as you have since that. Did a fresh win7 install and have latest drivers installed.

Attached Files:

14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Coherent crashes are tricky and most likely your problem completely unrelated to his problem as long as you have video cards from different manufacturers.
  15. klapmongool

klapmongool New Member

As you can see we both have Ati HD Radeons though. Got any tips on stuff i could try?
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Oops, sorry. I mess up a bit. :oops:

Not at moment, new Coherent only present in few builds and there was not enough feedback on crashes yet.
  17. klapmongool

klapmongool New Member

The problem has been fixed, don't know what did it though.
  18. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

Not fixed in my case though :O
  19. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

bug is fixed for me now :)