It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

*Thread explodes with awesome.*
  2. archcommander

;)
  3. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

No no, we concluded that while the idea is Awesome it's a: to costly to implement right now b: might be better suited as either a mod or an optional release after, well, release...
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think you're leaving out the bits where it also happens to work against the point of the game, which is killing the Commander. And given a scenario where Advanced units are of equivalent power(but specialized) to Basic units AND where the commander is the best tool for expansion you wouldn't need any kind of exo suit that is essentially an upgrade to begin with?

Here is the thread for those interested;

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/super-units-as-exo-suit.44581/

Mike
    cwarner7264 and LavaSnake like this.
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I realised again that my English is total crappy.

Magnetic field generator - if a unit enters the magnetic field of the generator then the unit is drawn to it

Magnetic mine - if a unit enters the magnetic field of the mine then the mine will jump on the unit

Magnetic trap - if a unit runs into the trap then the unit is held there
    LavaSnake likes this.
  6. archcommander

Smaller faster lower HP bots to distract your enemy (while bigger units come behind them for example). Easy to do by simply reusing bits of the existing units and editing a few bits of code.
    carpetmat and LavaSnake like this.
  7. Benemon

Benemon New Member

I'd like to second both the suggestions for an EMP-based weapon, and the solar mirror weapon mentioned earlier. The solar mirror could produce an effect similar to C&C's Ion Cannon, but the path the beam takes across a planet is defined by the orientation of the mirror itself. The balance? Orientate it badly and you'll fry your own guys.

The other unit I'd love to see is some form of one shot sub-orbital recon. Think X-37B, but less well equipped for long duration missions. Cheaper than a satellite, and fits snuffly in that niche between radar and full orbital ability. Could just remove the fog of war for the duration of its pass, so you'd have to be paying attention!

I also like the idea of sub-commanders. Well , lieutenants, I guess. They'd be cool, especially over multiple planets.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  8. archcommander

A Jon Mavor bot. You know you want to. :p
    iron420 and LavaSnake like this.
  9. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Land reclaiming unit. Say you've dropped an asteroid onto one of your opponents but there are still others on undamaged planets, you could fill in the asteroid hole and build on it obviously no metal but valuable space reclamation. Also some variety in defensive structures perhaps turrets better against tanks then bots and vice versa (Or better against bombers then wasps)? Aircraft carriers? Space javelins for orbital spend 100 metal create a giant metal spear launch from orbit. Converter unit like the priest from populous the beginning that has to be targeted otherwise it'll switch the allegiance of the attacking units so instead of priest a hacking unit?
    Spy bots?
    LavaSnake likes this.
  10. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I think there should be a general terraforming unit that would be able to do that and other land changing tasks (like leveling mountains, filling in cracks, or making dirt walls).

EDIT - Maybe T2 fabbers should have terraforming capabilities instead of a specialized unit. That way terraforming projects would be handled like normal building.
  11. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

And i think i remember us having very contrary opinions on this topic which we should probably not further discuss in here... (And by that I do not mean that we should "take this outside" :p)
    iron420 likes this.
  12. veta

veta Active Member

LavaSnake likes this.
  13. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

I posted this in another thread, but it probably makes more sense here. There's been a couple previous posts about an idea for a mirror based laser weapon, but I thought I'd give my idea on how to implement it in game:
    How about a long-range artillery laser that uses orbital mirrors to direct shots back down to the surface? When you build it, it launches a mirror that can be moved around in the orbital layer, restricted to line of sight with the ground station. The mirror would have a range around it that would define the area on the planet the laser can target. Building additional mirrors would let you replace any lost to anti-orbital weapons, as well as expand the operational area of the laser. Maybe you could even allow shots to reflect between mirrors as well, which would give you a laser with full planetary range, assuming you can protect all the mirrors.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  14. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Na last time he was a huge Arty Cannon xD I think he should be the name of a nuke launcher :p MavorAnnihilator
    archcommander likes this.
  15. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I'd like the stomper bot to become something else. We already have a t2 mobile artillery. Maybe give it something like the uber cannon.
  16. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I dunno, having an easily maneuverable artillery does fill a nice strategic niche that the vehicular artillery does not.
  17. carpetmat

carpetmat Member

• I would love to see a tank with longer range than other tanks. Maybe with less overall battlefield strength 1v1 in comparison to Ants, but it would really benefit players who use scouts within their tank groups like me ;)

• A ranged ground vs ground missile bot, has miss chance, but maybe high(ish) rate of fire, good vs blobs. Weak at harass?

• A Ship that can submerge like a submarine, but can only fire when above water. Made to get close to enemy ships not supported by subs so range in no longer a factor.

I'm a fan of units with similar tactical roles, but different methods of use. Options are a nice thing to have, even when they might not totally be necessary.
    Last edited: October 1, 2013
  18. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

Maybe we could have some kind of unit that can push other units into the water, lava or craters to drown/melt. I imagine some kind of unit that has a pretty long range nanolathe laser that can push units back(even cascading towards other clumped up units), at the cost of a high resource up-keep during the push. But low on HP so that it can easily be taken out by bombers. The attack itself does no damage, it is just there to push.
  19. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Orbital aircraft factories. Pretty self explanatory. When the aircraft were built they could drop down into atmo with an awesome glowin re-entry graphic and then fire their engines before hitting the ground.

Don't really know if this would be strategically useful or interesting, but it's just such a damn cool idea ;)
    iron420, carpetmat and LavaSnake like this.
  20. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Also just want to add my support for high damage, high velocity, low rate of fire rocket bots (or tanks I suppose).