PA Beta Build: 54497

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, October 1, 2013.

1. mrrainbowcookie

mrrainbowcookie New Member

Hey, I have Ubuntu 12.04 and it uses the libboost 1.46 versions, which are not recognized by PA. Apt-get won't find 1.49. I've been trying to find and add the right repository, but so far I was unable to manage to include 1.49. Can anyone help?
  2. geometrics

geometrics New Member

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but how do you actually get the new version? It keeps telling me as I boot up that a new version is available but the options it gives me is Exit or Later. How do I actually download the patch? For Mac, if that matters.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I know you need to open as administrator in windows. Has osx a similar option?
  4. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I only just noticed that laser turrets are no longer on the Com's build list. Interesting.
  5. geometrics

geometrics New Member

Not to my knowledge. This is the screen i'm being shown. I've redownloaded from the download link for now but i don't want to do that every time. What does the process entail on windows, maybe that will give me some clues?

Attached Files:

6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I don't use steam so I'm maybe no help to you. When I start my pa launcher. I am told that there is a new update an the program needs to be restarted as an administrator to run it. I think I click ok then and it starts automagically.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I use the Linux version, which is similar to the OS X version. As far as I know the non-Steam version requires us to redownload the game every time an update is available. The Windows version has an auto-update thingy, but Linux and Mac do not.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

My initial thought, until I saw the negative values which doesn't make sense. Maybe it's some kind of additive/subtractive value instead?
    Intensity has to do with glow as you guessed, but the difference between that and Directional/Radial I haven't looked into.
  9. jhonon1

jhonon1 New Member

Installed the game finally last night, wake up and find its changed XD

SO I've checked my graphics drivers, they are up to date. Attempted several reinstalls but I still get the same error whenever I try to press play:

PA.exe - System Error
    The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from you
    computer. try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!??!?!1!

Also great to see how much community and dev interaction there is even with Beta hardly out!
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Jhonon1, just reinstall the DirectX redistributables from Microsoft. Should be quick. You're just missing a file or two.
  11. jhonon1

jhonon1 New Member

After the laborious download through my schools internet, IT WORKS!

Thanks for the quick response, I hope I don't need help with anything so simple XD

Now for class, then Beta...
  12. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Yay my sun is back!:eek: My planets are still black tho...:(
    dinac29 likes this.
  13. garat

Yah, the SRGB fix is coming. We are waiting on a new library for a third party, and then it should all be back to normal.
  14. tonysixiwng

tonysixiwng New Member

When ever i use ice planets it freezes my computer and the game but only when an ice planet is on the map. other wise no issues.
    I have a windows 8 with intell hd 4000 graphics and 6 gb of memory i am also running on minimal graphics with an i5 processor so i know its the game.

Attached Files:

15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

When you report any issues please always upload your DxDiag.txt.
  16. dinac29

dinac29 New Member

Same here, sun is back, planets still mostly black. Happy to provide screens, performance stats, whatever.
  17. garat

We got a machine at a state where we can debug it today, so tomorrow, I expect we'll be able to make progress on getting the texture rendering on ATI mac books working again.
  18. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Short answer is: nope!

Intensity: Overall ambient intensity.
    Directional Intensity: Intensity of ambient from the "sky".
    Radial Intensity: Intensity of ambient from the ground.
    Ambient Front: Color of ambient on sunny side.
    Ambient Back: Color of ambient on dark side.
    Ambient In: Color of ambient from the "sky".
    Ambient Out: Color of ambient from the ground.

Math works out like this:
    Color of ambient on sunny side for surfaces facing away from planet = Intensity * Directional Intensity * (Ambient Front + Ambient In)
    Ambient on sunny side toward planet = Intensity * Radial Intensity * (Ambient Front + Ambient Out)
    Dark side away from planet = Intensity * Directional Intensity * (Ambient Back + Ambient In)
    Dark side toward planet = Intensity * Radial Intensity * (Ambient Front + Ambient Out)

The blend between these four values is done by creating a small 2x2 texture and using two dot products; one of the surface normal · light direction, second one of the surface normal · away from center of planet.

I'd like to do something for planets in the distance to differentiate them, but it'll likely be something simpler like just fade out ambient light and increase atmospheric opacity if the planet has any.

Edit: Fixed the math to be accurate to what is actually used.
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
    SXX and Raevn like this.
  19. HotRod11686

HotRod11686 New Member

From what I can tell from the update the System Editor works but trying to load a system on a match the buttons to load a system are not clickable / view planets button is blank and I can't delete already created systems... Is this by any chance a glitch??

Would like to recommend an edit to the multiplayer room setup - I find it a bit annoying that I have to switch between roster and chat all the time to talk to people. Wouldn't it be easier to have them both as 1 single tab? - An in game friends system would also be amazing!