Planes without atmosphere?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by byemberlight, September 30, 2013.

1. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

Who cares if they have wings on not :D PA can make anything work aswell as break the laws of physics !!!
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well I care, I also care about if the gameplay for airless moons could be fun without planes in order to change the pace.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if more orbital units like orbital fighters get in it is neccesary to be able to differantiate those from airunits
  4. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

if that was the case for this game, planes should not work on any of these planets as none of them have atmospheres.
  5. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

I know..I was kidding,of course you need to be able to tell apart units!
  6. igncom1

....Yes they do.
  7. gunshin

Im not going to go into this, but your an idiot for trying to bring realism here.
  8. igncom1

Ok I cannot help it that you were wrong, but bringing in realism had nothing to do with the topic of whether or not a airless moon could be more fun if there were no planes.

And this makes me an idiot how? Because you disagree?
  9. asgo

asgo Member

enough thrust or more general enough energy is one central issue in discussions like flying without air or even the orbit discussions.
    As far as I know, it hasn't been specified how or even if the per unit energy is limited. Since fuel isn't a basic concept in the game, there isn't a direct correlation to the energy produced in your economy. Therefore, it can be restrictive as needed, which is always a vague interpretation. ;)

Based on this, any unit could fly or be interplanetary. Any unit in the orbital layer could hold an arbitrary position.

Since is comes down to a design decision, I personally would prefer air units to be limited to atmospheric conditions, which would be another differentiation between planet types. But in this case any opinion is valid, you just have to give a good explanation lorewise, why your engines are so crappy without air. ;)
  10. gunshin

The fact that you think any of these planets have the mass to sustain an atmosphere is amusing, but keep going i guess.
  11. igncom1

And you call me an idiot for trying to bring in realism?

Atmo.png

But yes, there are atmospheres.
  12. gunshin

Thats because they are not realistic... The whole point of my argument, which you are still failing to see... Stop bringing realism into an unrealistic game...
  13. baryon

baryon Active Member

Following your argumentation it's perfectly fine if ships float on water or mountains. That is stupid.

Of course the game doesn't aim for accurate realism. But if there is a ship, people will expect it to float on a liquid. Because people know ships do that.
    This is the point where realism becomes important.
    People won't complain about star wars like spacefights for example, while this is totally ridiculous regarding realism. But they don't know. Therefore it's okay.
    As long as they don't know how things work they'll accept it.
    If they would know that without friction all these wings were useless and as a consequence the only way to change your direction is to decelerate and then re-accelerate ... they'd say 'bull****'. But they don't.
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
  14. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

So....

Magic floaty science?
    *nods*
    Magic floaty science.
  15. gunshin

what?
  16. igncom1

So stop bringing logic into a system that you believe has no logic? No I refuse to relinquish my tether to reality, especially when YET AGAIN you completely dodge my original point of asking would playing on airless moons be more fun without air planes.

But if you would prefer a game where the suspension of disbelief of discarded because one or two details are not like reality then go right ahead.
  17. baryon

baryon Active Member

If you say you don't need an atmosphere to fly, I say I don't need water to float (I dare you to mention airships).
  18. gunshin

funny thing is that some planes currently do not require air for uplift, they have enough rocket power to make them, well, a rocket with rockets. unfortunately, unless your cybran player from supcom, boats require water.

If we throw realism out of the window like we should, planes should still be allowed on moons due to gameplay reasons. If you remove planes from moons, you are limiting moons to small sizes due to the fact that moving troops around a large planet is largely impossible. Air transports are required.

what question are you talking about? all i am seeing from you are idiotic statements.
  19. igncom1

If planes don't require air, then why should boats require water?

Why not boats in lava?

Calling me an idiot over and over doesn't prove anything other that you like to insult people when they don't agree with you.
  20. frenky29a

frenky29a New Member

Do you want simulator or a game ?
    I think the planets are rotating too fast, 1 rotation per day is enough...