Ways of Planet transportation?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by cmdrfirezone38, September 30, 2013.

1. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

So besides teleporting and the unit cannon, what other ways of planet transportation will there be. I really don't want to build a new army on every planet.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

To me that's part of the planning, moving armies around should be hard to do, better to build things "on-site" as much as possible.

Or a better way of looking at it, if you don't have anyone to fight with locally, why are you wasting resources on an army instead of getting to other planets, moons and asteroids?

Mike
  3. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

True true. The thing is more if I have an army on one planet that had an enemy but I destroyed them, but the other enemy is completely on the other side of the system. It would be annoying to have to leave every unit on that planet to wait for possibly nobody to attack.
  4. KNight

In that case it's more so that you brought more than you needed! ;p

But yeah, it's not so much that you shouldn't be able to move armies around, more so that IMO it's more practical to create it 'on-site'. We'll have to see how things develop.

Mike
  5. guardsman1

guardsman1 New Member

Hey, talking of unit cannons, how do I build one? I cant seem to find it anywhere... wondering if its been removed?
  6. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

I didn't think the unit cannon had been put in yet, has it?
  7. guardsman1

guardsman1 New Member

Ahhh... that be why... I feel stupid now xD its so hard to find any answers to questions about PA atm :/
  8. KNight

That depends on how you're looking to be honest.

You wouldn't believe how many time we've had to answer the same question again and again! ;p

Mike
  9. guardsman1

guardsman1 New Member

Well, try typing into google anything from "Planetary annihilation unit cannon" to "Planetary annihilation has the unit cannon been removed?" and you'll see it only comes up with results for sites like rock paper shotgun who review the outline and mention a unit cannon. if I search on this site then it comes up with lots for "unit" and "cannon" but not the two together :/ i'd been searching for about half an hour when I asked... since I finished my last game and destroyed the planet 3:D
  10. KNight

I did a forum search for "Is the unit cannon in the Beta?" and the 2nd and 3rd result had the answer.

Mike
  11. guardsman1

guardsman1 New Member

You, sir, know how to search. I , apparently, do not :p
  12. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

Inter planetary transport is a must. As it stands you can land on a planet and build a hand full of units, which you can use to kill any engineer/commander landing on your planet. Rendering you invincible to every thing accept an asteroid.
  13. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

Haha, thank you Canadiancommander. This was more or less what I was trying to convey. For some reason I never actually said it. lol
  14. KNight

A planet is a big place, if you can build enough units that nowhere is safe to land you might as well have taken the planet and built a base on it yourself.

Also it's not liek there shouldn't be any transport options for armies, I'm just making the point that it shouldn't be too easy, otherwise you'll just end up with a big army sitting around until you're attacked and then you send it on it's way to defend where ever it's needed without any serious planning or strategic thought.

Mike
  15. cmdrfirezone38

cmdrfirezone38 Member

Well one thing would be how fast the transport move. If it moved really slow then you would have to really think about if that would be a good move to take said army from planet 1 to planet 3. If in that move a enemy sneaks in and attacks you with will your weak. So it has it's strategy elements. Now if they moved like the orbital/space units right now then yeah it should be costly.
  16. KNight

Now thing about that from a defender's perspective, how do you protect yourself from an entire army arriving at once?

Mike
  17. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

with one Advanced Sat, you can see most if not all the planet. Seeing as you can only transport one unit and you can see the transport coming toward your planet, all you have to do to defend a planet is dispatch a group of T2 bombers to bomb the **** out of the landed engineer/commander.

Inter planetary transport can Not cost a significant amount, as to keep attacking a viable option. Rather the difficulty of inter planetary war should come from mid space fighter interceptions, Ion cannon fire as your transports land and counter maneuvers by the local military force. Plus when you transport units its not like you have any local production on the planet you are assaulting, so the defender has a significant advantage.
  18. KNight

But is that problem with interplanetary Transport, or the fact that there is a single unit that can provide complete intel?

You can't always thing about fixing the EFFECTS of problem, sometimes you need to fix the problem itself.

Mike
  19. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

Even if there was no satellite the provided complete intel. What are the odes that you could conceal a base long enough to produce a army?
  20. KNight

Wait a second, I think we're working under different assumptions here, explain the entire scenario you are envisioning.

Mike