From a TA fan, Beta looks/plays great.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Neuralize, September 28, 2013.

1. Neuralize

Neuralize Member

Just wanted to shout-out to Uber, the game is looking and playing awesome. I'm a tech-worker, and am blown away at the progress and technical prowess exhibited in this beta. Very happy that those 60 dollars are keeping the dream alive.

Completely psyched about where this is going, has CT apologized for doubting you guys yet? If not, he should soon, or maybe he'll just stay bitter with his cave paintings while dragging around a wood club. Ok, jokes, hopefully that was just game dev drama elevated by the media. I wish the best for everyone in the end!

Final thoughts? Hopefully that $60 gets ONE of you guys a beer. Otherwise take it easy on yourselves, stay healthy, keep it up.

In The Name of Empyrrean,
    Neuralize
    archcommander likes this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Jon and Chris seat near to each other and talk freely on this stream:

So I don't think it's was ever a problem.

CT just saying that budget are pretty small and true even now, but Uber managed to make something impossible for most Kickstarter projects. Most of other big Kickstarter projects are fail with budget and with their open development promises.
  3. Neuralize

Neuralize Member

While a little spammy, I'd like to continue day two of beta release celebrations with a dance party.

4. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Yeah it is awesome. This raises the bar for rts games.
    If you're new to the game and want to join one of the many clans to learn a bit more or even partake in a tournament or two you can hook up with our guys here;
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...ussions-announcments.51826/page-2#post-794520
  5. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I was gonna make this post myself.
    Even in it's buggy, unbalanced broken state PA reminds me why I loved TA so much for so long, and why supcom never felt quite as good. Plus, y'know, annihilating planets. S'all good stuff.
  6. MattyWS

MattyWS New Member

Another TAU'er here, I'm pretty pleased so far with PA. The fps is a problem but it looks like you guys know about that already. Otherwise I'm enjoying it.

Bit disorientating though, looking around a planet. =S

Seems like the kind of game I would want to get into modding again for. :)

MattyWS
  7. tenshirou

tenshirou New Member

I actually disagree with the everyone else here, I definitely do not feel like I am playing either TA or Supcom. The feel is more like Starcraft. The reason is the same as why I refer to Supcom2 as SC2, the ranges are way too short.

I understand that the planet scale is fairly small and that the long ranges I associate with TA and Supcom would just not work, but that feeling is still there. We will see how things go, but eh, a little put off by that at the moment.
  8. comham

comham Active Member

If you go back and re-play TA, you'll see the ranges are usually quite short in order to fit aggressor and victim units on the same screen in the display resolutions used back in 1297 AD.
  9. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Yep, I'm pretty sure the ranges of the basic units (which is most of the units we have so far) are pretty equivalent to what they were in TA. Perhaps you get that impression because artillery has less universal map coverage? Or just because the game is bigger scale than TA already.
  10. tenshirou

tenshirou New Member

I should have been clearer, it feels shorter. I have yet to see anything outside of artillery fire outside its visual range. In TA, almost everything could fire outside what they could see. This made spotting things really important. The auto targetting array made that a lot less necessary and really illustrated the range some things (like missile towers) had.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Don't forget that we have such a limited unit roster at the moment that it's pretty unfair to judge the game based solely on what's currently available. ;p

Mike
  12. tenshirou

tenshirou New Member

I know, that is why I said I will wait and see how things go. Passing judgement on a beta is silly. Giving an opinion on how it is right now, that is okay.