Boost FPS on a NVIDIA card !

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by canadiancommander, September 29, 2013.

1. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

I have does some fiddling and found a way to boost fps significantly.
    just follow these simple steps

1. open NVIDIA control panel
    2. Manage 3D settings on the side bar
    3. Program Settings
    4. add planetary Annihilation
    5. turn off V-sync
    6. turn on Threaded optimization

by doing these simple things Ive gone from 30 -> 60ish fps on smaller planets and 30-> 40ish on bigger planets
    (in the editor). I have 660 TI
    ReddWolff likes this.
  2. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

Sounds interesting.
    Good experiment.
    Can't try it myself atm though.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually this is quite interesting, can you please compare game performance only with threaded optimizations enabled/disabled?
    On Nvidia hardware game have some weird bottleneck related to CPU usage, so it's interesting how this will work.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  4. class101

class101 New Member

Guys !

I have Fraps FPS counter installed and only this simple Vsync tip in the Main menu I get 60FPS with vsync set to application settings, 120 FPS with vsync OFF !

Using Win8 64bit GTX 780

Thanks canadian and SXX for linking to this, spread it guys !
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's actually doesn't mater what FPS you have above 60FPS.
    VSync is designed to reduce FPS to maximal possible for your monitor because you just won't see any difference between 60 ans 120 FPS, but video card will be much mure loaded (and cooling will be much more loud in result).

Disabling of VSync usually only useful for benchmarking, but in some cases might improve real FPS in game...
    But to be fair I never think it's might be useful on Windows.

So if it's not convert 20FPS to 30FPS you shouldn't disable VSync.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  6. class101

class101 New Member

Still a notable improvement because ingame on HIGH with 2 planets with vsync ON I start at 60fps and if recording with fraps I go down at 30fps
    With vsync OFF I start at 120fps and while recording in fraps I get 90fps.
    In PAYDAY 2 for example vsync is turned off by default and the max fps supported is 135
  7. teddythebear

teddythebear Member

The myth that you can't notice/no benefit to >60 fps has been around far too long and it needs to go die in a corner somewhere.
    whisperr likes this.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's depends on your monitor a lot. I mean on most monitors you just can't see such difference.
  9. class101

class101 New Member

Yes I remember in the old days this was much like why do you want to go at 60 fps human eye does not see difference with 30 fps ...
    If I remember in the PAYDAY2 beta they started capped 60fps, and in the first updates they changed it to 135fps
  10. firetsy

firetsy New Member

If a display uses 60Hz refresh frequency as almost all digital displays do, you cannot see any more frames than that regardless of the graphics cards rendering speed.
  11. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

On the default world, Zoomed out all the way, with Threaded optimization off, I get 40 fps, whit it on, I get 57 fps. I could be important to note I have more than one monitor.
    burntcustard and SXX like this.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thank you for information.
  13. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Isn't the purpose of V-sync to prevent screen tearing/unusual game play experience from fluctuating fps?
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It is. Also if I'm correct (might be I'm wrong) it's also prevent rendering of tons unusual frames, so GPU don't need to render 2500FPS when you playing CS 1.6 :D
    So it's should decrease GPU temperature in all games which aren't use GPU too actively.
    Last edited: September 29, 2013
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  15. dohman

dohman New Member

I want to try this, but I can't actually find planetary annihilation in the program list in nvidia control panel :(

I looked with 'show only programs found on this computer' both on and off.
    what exactly is the programmed called in the list? I looked for:
    - Planetary Annihilation
    - PA
    - Uber PA (or anything starting with u..)

It seems my computer doesn't even think that it's a program. I had both the Steam version and the non-steam one. I deleted the steam version now, but still no luck.

My list of programs on the computer is also very short and definitely doesn't contain anything close to the amount of programs I have installed..
    Is there a setting somewhere that I'm over looking?

Edit: HAHA, I can go die in a corner quietly now, I clicked add on a random program, and out came the UI I was looking for.. So there you go, I fixed the problem my self.. Sorry about disturbing the thread :S
  16. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Sorry for the necro, but I went from 50/60 ish fps 70 by a slight overclock of the CPU and from 70 to 90 by thread optimalization. (Reconnected to the same game while turning this on)

Can't Uber set this to the default setting, this would help people with framerate issues a lot!!

Never had this high framerate with this many units in view!!! :D
    Last edited: April 14, 2015
    burntcustard likes this.
  17. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

What does threaded optimization do
    earth75 likes this.
  18. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Turning off V-Sync is pretty much guaranteed to boost frame rate in all instances. It's very very unlikely you'll miss it in PA

Good finds
  19. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I guess it optimizes the way the GPU uses the CPU for certain calculations and since PA is CPU limited, this could improve the framerate quite a bit :)
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

is this still current?