PA Game Engine - Graphics

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Culverin, September 28, 2013.

1. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

The desert picture.. that's somewhat more a matter of scale than a matter of graphics. I wish we could actually put bases in canyons, have such a thick jungle like the one you can see in the concept picture and a nice forest with clearings were a tank fits in nicely.
    kongkillha and piejunkie like this.
  2. Ginastic

Ginastic New Member

Hope the graphics will be as Biome pic.. looks f*cking awesome
  3. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

But you are aware of that the UI atm is in a stage where it isnt nearly, lets say, 50% finished?
    Before the beta launched there has been many builds that didnt change anything in the ui, because the focus of the dev has been another. As said from John the UI will have a huge step to take and it will in the comming weeks.
  4. weaser31

weaser31 New Member

I wouldn't even call this beta its still in alpha early development stages, I would be worried if this is called beta , there are allot of things to fix and the graphics are crappy, it is really hard to tell which engines are which , the boats climb on the land sometimes for some reason, Game crashes constantly and i noticed not allot of Americans aren't playing this at night. I hope to see allot of improvements for final version , Game play is good but the rest needs allot of work.

The subs don't even go under water for some reason , water is like a flat land with textures over it.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Beta is more than just Balance and Bug Fixing of course and not to mention it's only been a Beta for like 3 days yeah? When you implement as many features as they did for Beta that weren't present before things are gonna be a little rough.

Mike
  6. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

I remember one of the devs mentioning the models in game are the same as for the biome examples, and the difference was to do with diffuse lighting being nicer in 3ds max vs the real time engine. Post processing could do a lot though.
  7. amuhrer

amuhrer New Member

I reckon i'm in the minority around here, but i'm kinda over realism in games (they exist so we can escape from reality right?)

i love the 'blocky' units
    i love the spiral patterns at the edges of different types of land
    i love the solid looking trees
    and i particularly love the smoke that looks like a cloud of pingpong balls
    I'm just filled with love for what uber has done so far :p

i hope it stays a little cartoony
    and i imagine quite a few people with old hardware would too
    Taragashi and thepyro13 like this.
  8. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

While I like the general art style there is currently a big issue with the blocky unit design and that is that its very hard to distinguish t1 units from their t2 counterparts.

Especially with engineers.

(As for the UI, aye its 'orrible. But then they haven't spent much time on it yet. ;) )
  9. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Nothing beats SC/FA,when we talk about FA we must be serius ,the quality off FA/FAF will be for a few more years the best rts ever made in many aspects.
    See some one say (that the art style was very boring and very generic) thats really amusing see ,these are the words that make us stronger in this wonderful community FAForever!
    This not means i dont like PA because i like.
    Its just....diferent.
  10. Nasher

Nasher New Member

That seems to be what it is. Also the concepts have depth of field effects while the actual game doesn't (which makes screenshots look good, but not always great for playing).
  11. byte01

byte01 Member

When looking at that screenshot, i am honestly more concerned about the pathfinding than the GFX.
  12. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

I'm very well aware that we are still playing a alpha, not a beta (half the stuff are still missing), or I'm seriously concerned about the future of the game.

What concern me a little is that Uber consider it Beta because the engine seems to be complete. I hope they don't forget they are doing a game, not a great engine.
  13. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Well that's always the thing. They seem to be very good at the engineering level. The question is, are they also good at the design level? Time will tell. *red alert quote*
  14. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

They call it a beta because the core features are in. Now they just need to squish bugs, add the rest of the units and polish the visuals and add more of them, improve the UI and balance the game. And perhaps change a game mechanic here and there.
  15. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

So, only 75% left to do in a few months. No pressure. :D
  16. weaser31

weaser31 New Member

There isn't any core features, half the mass extractors you cant place mass on them, The path finding isn't there at all, The maps are glitchy, If you finally get into a game after 20 minutes of loading it crashes and then after playing 20 minutes it loses connections.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The fact that you can place any extractors makes it a core feature that fundamentally works, Beta never guarantees things will work perfectly first try.

Mike
  18. freemangl

freemangl Member

The Graphics of PA is poor now.
    Lack of details.
    Blurred textures.
    Simple modeled.
    etc...
  19. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

The art style has grown on me; I absolutely hated it initially to be honest, but I'm ok with it now.

However, I really do have trouble easily differentiating between the different types of factories and some of the units, they all look very similar.
  20. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Yeps, just to be clear, my main gripe on the models are exactly that.

They've said they want to keep it simple so you can distinguish units in a glimpse. It's anything but that.

Satellite all look the same to me, T1/T2 "fabbers", I still don't know what is supposed to be different visually, and even Neutrino did mistake T1 and T2 tanks during a livestream.