Unit selection bug and two cents

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by rgturner244, September 28, 2013.

1. rgturner244

rgturner244 Member

This has happened to me a couple times now. It seems as though if you select a unit while it's building and keep it selected through to completion, you end up not being able to do anything else; the unit stays selected and even after it moves to its rally it won't move and cannot be unselected.

It's happened to me with two builders: a bot, and an advanced naval builder.

EDIT: Happened again with the advanced naval builder. This time it wasn't building or getting built.

Two cents: For the economy, I suggest small clusters of metal (2 or 3). There should be an equal number of clusters near each player's starting locations at predetermined distances. I feel this will be essential to competitive play.
    Last edited: September 28, 2013
  2. theflow

theflow New Member

I have probably the same issue sometimes. I cant deselect or select anything else, the only thing I can do further is scroll/pan camera... just quit and reconnect is the only thing that helps. (tried every key)
  3. aceal

aceal New Member

Similar thing happened to me, It seems reported it in the bug tracker (but I'm not allowed to link to it?).

As for the map balance, I think it's fine as it is. Any serious competitive play will probably need fixed (non-random) maps anyways to ensure fairness and those can have such restrictions.
  4. fergie

fergie Member

I have had the same issue twice now.....real pain in the butt
  5. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

as for your idea of metal being a certain distance away from the spawn for a commander, the biggest problem with that is it would give away where someone is as they just have to follow the direction of the metal in a circle
  6. rgturner244

rgturner244 Member

I don't believe it would. The direction in which metal would spawn would still be random, just the distance from the player is predetermined. Metal should still be scattered enough so you couldn't see a pattern.

But besides the point, real strategy shouldn't rely on hiding where you are. In competitive play it should rely on your solid mechanics and decision making. The enemy knowing your location can happen as early as 2 minutes into the game, you have to accept that you can't win against a good player by hiding your location, or even hiding what you're doing. Some strats rely on hiding tech, but this can't always be the case. You have to develope a strat that is solid enough to win even when your opponent knows what you're doing. That's how you compete in an rts.
  7. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

It's true that any player who hasn't found your start point within the first few minutes probably isn't a massive threat anyway.
    On the other hand, once we get more customisable starting options and larger planets and systems with players starting on different planets, just knowing which planet your enemy is could lead to a huge advantage.
  8. rgturner244

rgturner244 Member

Yes, but my suggestion for metal distribution wouldn't effect this. That was my point.

This way, metal distribution is fair and finding it is fluid. A strat should not be hindered early game by having to find more resources. The early game should be a fluid stream of consciousness only hindered by early harass or poor mechanics.

EDIT: Take SC2. Resource distribution is perhaps too predictable when you play the same maps over and over, but both your natural expansion and third expansion are positioned in a way that you can develop strats around how early you can claim them. That's sort of what I'm suggesting here, but instead of them being placed in that painfully predictive fashion, you would simply know that there are 3 patches of metal at your starting location, somewhere surrounding your starting location are perhaps 2 or 3 clusters of metal, and further out, 5 or 6 clusters, and then randomly scattered clusters further still.
    Last edited: September 29, 2013
  9. lapsedpacifist

Aah, ok, I'd misunderstood. That does sound like it would work better than the current random system, which does lead to noticeably unbalanced games even in casual play.
    Not quite sure how the devs would implement this, but that's for the programmer's to work out :)
  10. rgturner244

rgturner244 Member

Yep, but I don't see how it would be any more difficult than coding starting locations, just more lines of code. Maybe a lot more, but doable if they want balanced play.

Code it so each map has specific starting locations you can choose from (like the current) and then the devs could place metal in fixed locations. Or, code it so metal is placed on the map after starting locations have been selected.
  11. lapsedpacifist

Well you can't just have presets as all the planets are procedurally generated. It would have to work by generating the planet, then assigning player spawns somehow (randomly? Geographically?) and then generating metal distribution.
  12. rgturner244

rgturner244 Member

[quote="lapsedpacifist, post: 795534, member: 1808739
    Well you can't just have presets as all the planets are procedurally generated. It would have to work by generating the planet, then assigning player spawns somehow (randomly? Geographically?) and then generating metal distribution.[/quote]

Love it. I really hope they figure out metal distribution soon.