What is the point of this game? It already exists.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by xterminator27, September 27, 2013.

1. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

the problem is here, that too many players have different expectations.

I know some, who expected it to be TA 2 + planet things. They are disappointed, because they dont like the scale, the radar/vision, the unimportantness of hills and so on.

I know some, who expected it to be SupCom 3 + planet things. They are disappointed, because it has no factions, and no tech 1-3 and experimentals.

I know some, who didnt expect anything, and didnt play a RTS in their live, and actually find it quite interesting...
  2. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Not true. I know many people who liked the micro limitations in SC1 as they considered it a feature, as SC2 is too micro-easy and just allows for easy deathballs that reduce the skill cap that existed in 1. Why play Broodwar recreations in SC2 when you can just play Broodwar? I'm not saying SC2 isn't a good game, but there are plenty of reasons to play 1 still and consider it a better game. If you look on Twitch, SC1 still draws many players, and I'm sure if you ask them, they'll have their own reason for sticking to 1.
    ShasODerpy likes this.
  3. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

I actually expected units to be basic and simple to start with but with more features and balancing done you find the units will get more and more unique to PA and less like a cut out from some other RTS.

I just guess it is up to us to help guide the Devs along the way through beta directly and indirectly
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

RTS games with tanks are always going to have similar units, they defiantly are not just cut outs.

The dev's know what they are doing.
  5. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Well we can only hope they do. :p
  6. igncom1

From the live streams they seem to argue about it in the office as much as we do here.

Can't get much better.
    vackillers likes this.
  7. b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3 New Member

The first personal attack thrown in this thread was you calling KNight a brown-noser. It devolved from there, but you did start the flaming first. That is a fact, not an opinion. This thread has been closed twice now, and now that you are being slightly more reasonable (though still with the fundamental misunderstanding of what this game touted itself as, and a nasty case of "I'm the victim!"), it has a reason to remain open.

_____
    As far as the accusations of "cut and paste units", it has been stated before that pretty much every RTS will have similar units. And, for the first several minutes of each game, the units are simple and familiar. That all changes when you start building newer and improved units. I can't think of another game in which a unit would move an entire battlefield and crash it into another battlefield.
    Last edited: September 28, 2013
  8. freehotdawgs

freehotdawgs New Member

I was thinking about this last night and I have come to the conclusion that the OP missed some important features when he claimed it's just a reskinned supcom.
    First thing, every "level" is procedurally generated so there are no longer set maps, which is a huge improvement over Supreme Commander if you ask me.
    Second, you can design your own solar systems to fight in, which is also a lot easier to do than use a map editor, another huge improvement.
    Third, it's not done yet. They just got the main concept working for crying out loud.
    My final point: instead of complaining, do you have any suggestions? I mean, you're claiming that you're trying to improve the game by saying you don't like it, but how are they supposed to fix it if you don't offer any ideas? Seriously, I'm interested to hear what ideas you have, maybe the devs could put them to use.
    Personally, I still want to see space based battles... That would bring it completely away from supcom. I'm really happy with PA so far though, all I ever wanted was a bigger scale supcom on planets with massive armies and destruction, so anything else makes me ever happier haha
  9. tokenblackguy

tokenblackguy New Member

and yet you bring up starcraft 2 as some sort of masterpiece?
    lol
    b8 thread
  10. igncom1

11. xterminator27

xterminator27 New Member

The SC2 mod currently beats PA in a few areas. The main one being a superior game engine, better camera controls, and a much more user friendly interface. This however could be influenced by my familiarity with the sc2 interface so I would take it with a grain of salt. Needless to say, I found the keybindings/build menus of the sc2 mod to be much more intuitive that the PA ones.

Yes I watched the video several times, I pledged the 50$ package probably within the first hour the kickstarter came up, I've been in all of the streams and pushed to get more people into the kick starter. I have played SupremeC and TA before and have played and participated in a lot of early closed betas (which gives me a rough idea of how close an early beta is to release gameplay wise).

See, PA always sold itself as the "next generation" of large macro based RTS games. To put it simply, this game feels like a last generation RTS. Yes it has good concepts, but the execution feels old and repetitive. Like I have played this game 1000 times before. The units, the compositions, the buildings, I am not talking about just the resource collection rates themselves, I am talking about all of the unit compositions, the build orders, the map controls, the turtleing. It just all feels like I have done it before, many times before.

To put it simply, this game feels like nothing more than a side-dish expansion to a game like Supreme Commander. It really shouldn't be. Yes I understand that Supreme Commander is the basis, and there are planets added, but why not take this opportunity to improve the fundamental core of the game? In the end it is still the same game.

BroodWar and SC2 HOTS are a great example of improving a great game into something even better, while keeping the fundamentals the same. Sure some people want me to write a document saying exactly how to do this, well I am not a game designer, if I could fix this game and make it perfect, I wouldn't be typing here, I would be starting my own company and getting rich off my ideas.

What I am saying is that at the end of the day, PA doesn't wow me, it doesn't even impress me. It honestly feels like a mod, or a custom map of Supreme Commander. Where I feel like it could be so much much more.

I know its early in the beta, but that is why I have to make my say now, because any time after would be too late. I know I am not the only one who thinks this.

My suggestion at the end of the day is simple, try to deviate from the Supreme Commander Cookie Cutter layout just a bit. If I wanted to play SupCom, I would boot it up and play it, but I don't play it anymore, and not many people do these days.
  12. freehotdawgs

freehotdawgs New Member

As I said in my post, what's your suggestions? Just saying it doesn't wow you won't help the devs improve the game...
    skintkingle likes this.
  13. igncom1

Its funny how you mention brood war and SC2 HOTS as a great example of improvement, and then criticise PA for being a bad mod of SupCom when the game is still in beta.
  14. vl3rd5

vl3rd5 Member

Nice post. MUCH better articulated than your original post in this thread :) I know you said you're not a game designer, but can you provide just one example of an improvement to the fundamental core of the game that would wow or impress you? Or do you think it is possible that perhaps you are simply just getting tired of the RTS genre?
  15. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

For those of us who've never played Starcraft extensively enough to know how BW or HOTS improved it so drastically, please enlighten us? And again, all SupCom really added to TA was strategic zoom and the UI improvements to support it, so praising SupCom as the basis is not accurate, itself being merely a "mod" for TA.
  16. igncom1

I dunno, to me this just seems like a bait thread.
    Last edited: September 28, 2013
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  17. vl3rd5

vl3rd5 Member

xterminator27, this is actually a good point. How exactly did StarCraft 2 improve the fundamental core of StarCraft in such a way that it impressed you? To many critics in the media and many fans of StarCraft, what Blizzard did with StarCraft 2 was considered to be very conservative with regard to innovation of game fundamentals.

If we can understand how the improvements of StarCraft 2 to StarCraft impressed you, maybe it can help everyone to understand what you are expecting of PA. We all want PA to wow and impress us too, so help us understand your point of view better.
  18. MazK

MazK New Member

If your not impressed with the gameplay currently, than you might look into the features the engine itself currently offers: for example the "random" generated planets, the virtual texturing, which no other game has really offered except for rage, which didn't work nearly as good as this engine.
    The realtime CSG, which allows for dynamic destruction. supreme commander 1 uses simple heightbased terrain and starcraft has combined it with static assets. Supreme Commander 2 uses real geometry, but it is static.
    The fact that the UI is html based, which makes it easier to mod. Also the engine exposes alot of modding capabilities, which only starcraft 2 has of the games you mentioned.
    vl3rd5 likes this.
  19. k3n58

k3n58 Member

Did you not read anything about the game before buying it? Watch the trailer? What were you expecting, Candy Crush or something?
  20. vl3rd5

vl3rd5 Member

Good points MazK. Xterminator27, I recommend that you take a look at all the confirmed features in this post to attain a better understanding of the gameplay innovations that PA will have compared to TA, SupCom, and other RTS games:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/confirmed-features-list-2-0.44950/

This post may not be 100% accurate (some features listed as unconfirmed have already been confirmed) but most of it is very accurate.