Will there be some kind of mass-unit transport unit?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Tormidal, September 28, 2013.

1. Tormidal

Tormidal Active Member

I just want to transport tons and tons of bots/tanks across planets/solar systems. ;-;
  2. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

Yep it would be great to move a hundred or so units per giant lander. Invading an occupied planet shouldn't rely on arriving sneakily with a handful of units and then building the whole attacking force.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We don't know, there are many theories thought.

I feel like that for the most part you won't be transporting armies around, rather you'll be more focused on building the army where you need it, so you swing an asteroid into orbit around an enemies' planet with Factories and Unit Cannons.

Mike
  4. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

The one I have heard about and was even seen in the kickstarter trailer was a fast unit launcher/canon that could transport units to nearby moons or planets that are close. The other udea that has been thrown around is a teleport you can build between worlds.
  5. KNight

The thing is we don't have much in terms of details on either the Unit Cannon or the Teleport system. The unit cannon is something that is hopefully not onyl limited by distance, but also takes gravity wells into consideration, so trying to shoot units up from a planet to a moon wouldn't work because of hte planet's gravity well, the flip side is that of course you can easily shoot from a moon/asteroid to a planet.

For Teleporting, comments lead us to believe that there will be a requirement of a structure(in some form) at both ends.

Mike
  6. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I hope they add some kind of massive, 1-shot rocket that can hold some x amount of metal's worth of units. You load it up with whatever units you want, then fire it at the destination planet. Once it gets close enough, the rocket comes apart and dozens of units come raining down in a shotgun blast of awesome.

I don't think this would be overpowered since its a one use rocket, and while being loaded, it sits on the launchpad, preventing other things from being built. If you want to launch multiple rockets at once, you have to build multiple factories to hold the rockets on the pad. Also, you could make the units vulnerable to AA or anti-orbital as they "parachute" down.
  7. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I want to use the unit cannon to move my bots from my earth base to the enemy's earth base too.
  8. mcnik97

mcnik97 New Member

I find the canon and/or rocket ideas very nice.
  9. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

^This! All of this! This sounds so sick! +1
  10. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

But what do you do when you are on a map without moons? I think we should also get an EMP strike weapon to shut down defences in a big area so we can land there safely with big, inter-planetary landers or planet-assault bots (big units that produce units maybe? Mobile factories? Kinda like the fat boy in SupCom or swarmer bots - very weak, very numerous, very fast to build, very cheap, screens forces and overwelms by sheer numbers, can attack any layer except orbital.)
  11. freehotdawgs

freehotdawgs New Member

I definitely like the idea of the one shot transport rocket.
  12. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

I bet it would look awesome too. Although not if you're on the receiving end :D
  13. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

i could definitely see the rocket idea happening. however, instead of having to "load" the rocket, why not have it come packed full of units, a la carte? what i mean is, when it is built, it's allready stuffed to the gills with various bots, ready for deployment.
  14. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

That probably does make more sense, seeing as the rocket would launch straight to the world targeted (hanging about in orbit wouldn't be very realistic.
  15. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

What if you are launching the rocket at a water planet? You wouldn't want a preset unit composition for it, you'd want to tailor your payload for the area you're launching it to.

The idea was that the rocket sits on the launchpad after completion so that you can load it from the ground.
  16. MazK

MazK New Member

I hope the unit cannon can be used for short distances, like a moon for example, but only at the same side of each planet than.
    Also the current way the interplanetary transport works is somewhat weird, cheaper one time launch rockets would be better I think, like shown in the kickstarter video: Small unit picks up larger unit and places it ontop of a rocket, which than moves it to another planet.

Just some ideas though :p.
  17. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

I think pre-loaded would subtract from it a bit, I prefer the idea of having a rocket sat on a launch-pad, loading it to the brim with a carefully selected group of units and then dropping that party on an enemy base!
    As far as balance goes - the rocket itself would be disposable yes? if it proves too good just make that mutha cost 50000 metal!
  18. KNight

Well if the System doesn't have any moons or asteroids to hardness and you still start on different planets I'd say that's a faulty System design, in that case you're likely to be better off with a single larger planet. It's like trying to play a No Nukes No Air No Shields No Arty No T4 No T3 No Rush20 on a 40km Island map, it can work but it's not really the best set-up.

That could work if there was a limited selection of units and they performed similarly across the different biomes and such, but that isn't the case and you have a large selection of units available that have different reasons for choosing them.

Mike
  19. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

the current transport system is pain in the *** and not useful to transport more than 5 units at a time... I hope that either there will be bigger transports, or an automated transport system (like ferry routes).

And on another note, the transport dynamics probably will change... it doesnt make sense to launch the transport with a rocket into orbit, and afterwards it can descent and go up again with its load on its own^^
  20. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

I miss ferry routes from SC (not the first time I've said it)
    And I agree with the take off-land-take off thing! Also does anyone else notice that the rocket sort of "spirals" upwards? I don't mind in fact I find it quite funny - would be nice if it got patched at some point though >.<