Getting Ready for Beta

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, September 23, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all -

This post is restricted to the Alpha forum only. While the Alpha isn't under NDA, please treat this post like you do a post from the backer's forum.

We may be releasing an interim build this afternoon, evening or possibly tomorrow morning. Bluntly, we're not doing you guys any favors. :) This build may very well have/be:

• Unperformant (badly so in some cases)
    • Weird general behavior
    • Unicorns

Quite simply, while there are a number of known bugs, it's the ones we don't know about until a few hundred other PC configurations attempt to load it that we want to start finding out about.

If we do this, it will only be available through the launcher and not through Steam. This is to restrict it until we have had time to determine the build's viability with our core community before releasing to a broader audience.

I'll update if/when we release a build in this thread. There will be NO BUILD NOTES. We will not release build notes until Thursday's actual beta launch. Hopefully part of the fun of this build, even if it's pretty crazy, will be seeing the tons of loads of changes that follow it.

What we'd love from you guys:

• Come to this thread, read through it, provide bugs that haven't been called out. If you had a server crash ("simulation terminated") let me know the time - if someone else was in the game and they already called it out, no need to duplicate it.
    • Don't go too crazy doing streams of this please. It's not under NDA, but obviously, we don't like to see seriously janky builds being highlighted. :)
    • Play, provide feedback, any help is appreciated. We're getting close, and as you'll be able to tell from the next build we do release (whether that's in the next 24 hours, or not til Thursday) that there have been over 1200 checkins have happened since the last build. That's a lot of change!

Thanks all!
  2. garat

Unlocking the thread. If you want to discuss the contents of this post, please do it right here. :)
    faregoth likes this.
  3. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Final of King of the Alpha tournament is tomorrow...

Is it okay if we launch via steam though since it won't patch (if I understand the post correctly)
  4. garat

If you want to play on a build that is a known quantity, I'd highly recommend launching through Steam - IF it happens.

Keep in mind, this still may not happen. While we want to release an interim build it still needs a minimum level of stability, and if we don't have a build we're comfortable releasing til tomorrow night, we'll likely just wait.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Oh god. Do I need to sit up all night for this? Currently 1AM here.
    supremeoverlord likes this.
  6. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

7. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

hmm... frigging sweet!!! cant wait and pretty excited :D
    Last edited: September 25, 2013
  8. garat

No build tonight (10:15PM local time). We're getting very close though. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
  9. whisperr

whisperr Member

It's 7:20AM local time and I was just getting ready ... ;) oh well, maybe tomorrow :)
  10. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

... Boy am I glad I converted to steam key :I
  11. garat

Kruptos - Grab the launcher and you'll still be able to check it out. You can still play if you login with Kruptos, you just have to play through the launcher if we release an early build. Both the current build and a preview build will be kept active until beta launch.
    Kruptos likes this.
  12. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

You folks are busting your asses out there. Up late rocking it.

Thaaaanks!
  13. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

Thank you, that saved my day :)
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Last edited: September 26, 2013
    cwarner7264 and vackillers like this.
  15. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

17. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Will you also put up direct links for OSX/Linux users to test? Flushing bugs out into the open from at batshit insane build will be interesting :).
  18. jimosfear

jimosfear Member

This is a sincere question, for you and for anybody who wishes to answer: why did you/anybody convert this game to Steam?
  19. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Well the beta is tomorrow and new pre-build so I guess they are waiting until the beta day anyway then?
  20. Stormie

Stormie Active Member

Because i had a steam account after buying Empire:total war years ago that Id never used. figured now was as good a time as any to check it out.
    I used the steam route once then went back to using the launcher!