Any updates on Linux?

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by rooly, August 23, 2013.

1. rooly

rooly New Member

Has there been any progress on the Mac/Linux versions?

I've seen no mention of the cursor issue that everyone seems to experience.

Did I waste my money?
  2. sechastain

sechastain Member

The update from last Friday seemed to help out considerably on my machine.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yes, they fixed modifier keys in javascript/Coherent which was a biggest problems for Linux build.

Not everyone. :)
  4. natewiebe13

natewiebe13 New Member

I tried starting a thread as well but got no response from the devs. I know how you feel, it makes the game unplayable for myself.
  5. redstar427

redstar427 Member

Does that mean you can play the PA Linux version, with the OpenGL window and compositing manager?
    I can't. I have to switch to Xrender and that slows down the whole system.
    Not acceptable choice for me.
    Hopefully, they can fix this so everyone can use the standard OpenGL window and compositing manager.
    Having to change the graphics system to play one game is a bit silly.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

For me KWin though XRender working fairly well with Catalyst. With open source drivers problem with flickering isn't so big even win KWin though OpenGL. E.g no black box glitch and cursor visible all the time, but with some flickering.

I agree that problem should be fixed, but it's not really true that everyone have it.
  7. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

Like I mentioned in other threads: works fine for me with openbox, does not work fine with cinnamon/muffin
    So this is in part how PA interacts with the windowmanager AND composite. Whether it is PA or driver... Well other games can run in windowed mode without any issues ;) so it might be a driver issue, but equally there is bound to be something that PA can do to improve this. The question is how can we help Uber to find out the best way.

And "waste of money" its alpha, alpha's have bugs. We play, we report, we help, they fix so such bugs don't stay for retail.
  8. redstar427

redstar427 Member

Problem is, it doesn't appear that Uber is spending any time fixing Linux bugs.
    This cursor bug was reported in the 3rd week of Alpha, just after Uber added the custom cursors.
    That's over 2 months ago.
    This bug even affects one of Uber's own Forum Moderators, who can't play on their preferred platform of Linux.
    So, if they aren't even listening to them, what chance do we have to get them to listen to us, and fix this very big bug?
  9. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

oh come on... chill

REMEMBER this is a steep learning curve for uber, right now they have alot of content to add and the linux client is tracking the main build quite nicely. There are other gfx issues as well (I had some nasty metal planet texture issues last night) but the client builds, runs and is compatible.

The best we can do as ALPHA supporters is to provide as much info as possible to Uber to help them narrow down this issue OR for the driver manufacturers to fix their drivers ... but with it effecting Intel,AMD,Nvidia cards this would point more to a Uber issue
  10. geopirate

geopirate New Member

Please also keep in mind that the ideal target seems to be a system with a dedicated graphics card and propietary nvidia or amd drivers. Yes there are various philosophies on open source drivers but for the foreseeable future they just aren't going to be on par. Also yes there are thousands of distros out there, but expecting a game company to cater to every one is pretty unreasonable.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm (and multiple other people) playing PA on FOSS drivers. They actually works much better than FGLRX, at least for PA.

This topic also was related to cursor bug which wasn't really related to game or any drivers, it's looks mostly like some Xorg architecture problem. It's currently fixed by small hack.
  12. geopirate

geopirate New Member

I'm actually really glad that on the AMD side of things the FOSS drivers have caught up! I've just been living on the Nvidia side of things for years because of the driver situation.
  13. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's still nowhere near to AMD open source efforts.
    I don't believe Nvidia ever make docs on reclocking public and without it these drivers always will be completely useless.