[Rel] MyArmysize [53072]

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by sirstompsalot, September 19, 2013.

1. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

Just a quick release to observe your current army size in the top left corner (appended to your name).

[​IMG]

I had a lot more I wanted to do with this but atm it is limited by the API.

Installation is manual until I can get the MacOS version of mod loader to work properly on my mac (not sure what the problem is yet); revise your ui_mod_list.js file to include the following:

Code:
        'live_game': [
            '../../mods/myarmysize/live_game.js'
        ],

Attached Files:

smallcpu likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

want me to make this into something more graphical? like on the right hand side?
  3. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

What I really want to do is figure out a way to make a threat system (how this mod was initially started). But when I found out I didn't have access to the other player unit list, or even a breakdown of my units, I got a little stumped. The downside is that currently I can't differentiate between units vs buildings vs ships vs air. So It probably won't be updated till the API is.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well that's a good thing, isn't it?
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Here's a Mod Manager ini file for this mod - put it inside the myarmysize folder and it will let the mod be enabled/disabled by the Mod Manager.

Attached Files:

6. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

Yes...

And no.

What I wanted to do was put together a threat scoring system. I thought it might be an interesting thing to be able to determine how I ranked compared to the other players. Some psuedocode:

Code:
    threatScore = 0;
    for(unitcount, i = 0; i < unitcount; ++i)
    if(unitcount[i]) = bot) threatScore += (unitcount[i]['unittotal'] * unitModifier) + antiGuessabilityModifier
    if(unitcount[i]) = tank) threatScore += (unitcount[i]['unittotal'] * unitModifier) + antiGuessabilityModifier
    if(unitcount[i]) = nukemissile) threatScore += (unitcount[i]['unittotal'] * unitModifier) + antiGuessabilityModifier
    Now, on one hand I can see the point; not having assess to the unitlist of other players prevents cheat addons. But it also diminishes just what we can do with some well thought out mods; Remember how in AoE2, if the player built a wonder the game notified you and you threw everything you had at him. I would only build a wonder if I knew I could risk it (ala, I could defend it).

It'd be kinda cool to be on ZaphodX's shitlist because my threatscore was 18901 when two other players had a threatscore of 15403.

But, I can dream.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Thats something which needs to be done on the server side, the client must never have access to the raw data you would require to peform the calculation for other players. If it had, that would be a bad thing since it would allow for cheating.
    infuscoletum likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Adding a warning "Your opponent is starting to build a nuke" is cheating in my eyes. Later you may add it server side so it is available to all players though.
    infuscoletum likes this.
  9. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

I agree.

Agreed.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This would be neat, but would have to be deeper in order to not give you information you didn't earn.

Like being able to calculate based on enemy units you "see" or at least generally know the existence of.

Like, it rates enemy threat based on the last time you saw the enemy base size via scouting it, and/or how many units you have seen of the enemy, and/or knowing the existence of t2 factories based on seeing a t2 unit or a t2 mex. Cuz if you scouted a leveler/peregrine/artillery/fabber then you can assume they have t2 and are well on their way to more.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Then, it would even need a more detailed breakdown based on the detailed threat it detects. It would have to rate one number for "army strength" i.e. his direct attack power, and another on his "tech level" based on how far you have detected he has advanced through the tech tree.
  12. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

I think a simple "discovered" boolean flag in the unit metadata would be fine. But that concept completely obliterates the concept behind the mod. The idea is to be completely scared based on their threat score. What dangers lurk behind the fog of war.

Not supposed to be a cheat engine. Its supposed to provide a "threat" score based on weighted metadata.
  13. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

Which would mean that there would be no way for you to miss enemy units, you would basically have a knowledge of everything that happens in any of your bases. That would very much be cheating unless the client did that for every player.

Anyway, your mod is pretty cool!