"mass" "engineers" etc

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by poofriend, September 20, 2013.

1. zGeneral

zGeneral Member

can we have a mod to rename the units in game? I do not like Fabbers, Engineers is more natural!
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't see how it is disrespectful, it would be if for example, you blamed GPG for the 360 Ports of Supcom1 and SupCom2 but in reality it was a different developer that handled the ports.

If anything the guys at Uber should take it as a good thing because people were so heavily invested in thier prior works that it is carrying over to thier new endeavor. I don't think I'm wrong in saying that PA's Kickstarter Success is due in large part to both it's and Uber's Pedigree and it shows when people use the 'older' terms instinctively.

Frankly, the only one being disrespectful here is you, you insist that everyone else conforms to your personal ideals without any regard for thier specific set of circumstances. Maybe it's only easier for you because TA was the foundation for this Sub-Genre, while for me SupCom was the foundation. Maybe you played hundreds of hours of TA but only 8 of SupCom, everyone has different circumstances and expecting them to conform isn't really realistic.

It's like saying "Tourists visiting 'Muhricah should only speak 'Muhrican and not thier native language otherwise they need to leave".

Mike
    Last edited: September 21, 2013
    lokiCML likes this.
  3. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

i call them engineers regardless of what you think. Also, this is Planetary Annihilation, not Total Annihilation.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

fabbers, constructers, engineers, workers, builders .. i personaly don´t realy care .. poeple take whaterver term they feel confident with .. i wouldn´t have a problem if someone would call em smurfs or smarties if he/she feels better with that ..

and why should one actualy even listen to you who insults people as noobs for the terms they are or were used to use..
    doens´t make you any better then grammanazis insulting people that speak weak english as their second or third language ..

or this
    lokiCML likes this.
  5. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I have a friend who calls the blue shells in MarioKart "snitches", because they're like the golden snitch from Harry Potter.

This is no different. While you are right that they are called what they are, people will give things different names in common lingo. Of course those being professional (casters, devs) will try to use the official terminology as much as possible, but you can't change all the SC fans to make them call fabricators their name. Hell, I've heard the developers mention "mass" as a slip of the tongue/typo before -- thankfully not too often. So if the devs can occasionally make the mistake then I don't think you can say it's disrespectful to the devs....
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Holy cow how is a thread like this not moved to "unrelated", this is more unrelated and completely obscure than bronie debates, this thread is even insulting to the history of the games and doesn't foward the state of the alpha. Away with it!
    post something that actually shapes the game!
    Do protestants go banging on catholics' doors to check they're using the right terms and vice versa? no! they know better, they know they're gonna get nothing out of it but a fight.

down with this damn thread!
  7. poofriend

poofriend Member

protestants and catholics? wtf lol
  8. tatsujb

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Catholic_vs_Protestant

edit: oh and the comment section on this page and any page like this (and I could have given you a billion different history books (not to metion the Tudors) as a reference) are quite illustrative of my reference also. Youtube comment section, if you will.
    Last edited: September 21, 2013
  9. poofriend

poofriend Member

can we bring nazis into it at all? just for completeness sake.
  10. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Looks like we have found a troll
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

lol 2 pages thread about nothing but a few words.
    I jump back betweeen mass and metal all the time, after a few years of "mass" going back the "metal" is pretty hard ;)
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

People will always use what comes to them most naturally. None of the names are final at the moment anyway. Post release I might move to a more mainstream vanilla way of naming units.
  13. tatsujb

finally a mod, begone with this s hit thread I say! huzzah!
  14. dallonf

dallonf Active Member

That reminds me, my friends and I usually call the Capsules from Super Smash Bros a "secret salami". We've been doing it for so long that I forgot why.
  15. poofriend

poofriend Member

16. mgmetal13

mgmetal13 Active Member

"Engineers" and "Mass extractors"? I thought they were called "Engies" and "Mexes".
    poofriend and tatsujb like this.
  17. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Sorry mate, they're fabbers. ;)
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

19. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

I'm going to call them Peons and gold mines from now on.

Just cause.
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah gold, all resources should be called gold :D