For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Huge reveal this afternoon, folks. You've seen the news, right? If not, here's a cross-post from the Planetary Annihilation blog:

That's right -- we're letting you guys help us name the first (of four known) factions, and faction leaders, in the PA universe. This thread is dedicated to the symbol for this group. We're pretty sure we want to go with an eagle clutching a world in its talons. It's iconic, for one, but it also visually spells out what these guys are all about pretty well. However, we're totally open to suggestions for the symbol. In this thread, throw out your ideas, thoughts, and comments. Who knows? Maybe we'll use an idea. Throw 'em out there!

The faction naming poll is here, by the way. The faction leader naming poll is here.

This thread closes on next Thursday, September 26, 2013.
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
    archcommander, BulletMagnet and Tankh like this.
  2. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I'd be all for the eagle clutching the world myself. Do you guys have a draft drawn up of it?
    kingwolf1 likes this.
  3. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

I like the eagle but it's to American for a roman-style faction, Some use of the letters SPQR in the symbol would be cool. How about the word SPQR is on the planet, lit in fire?
  4. voxlibertas

voxlibertas New Member

Since you seem to be set on the machine idea, perhaps two gears interlocking, with some symbol in the middle of each one (Sword and shield, maybe?). Alternatively, something based on a phoenix could work, since they did rise from the ashes of another civilization.
  5. Scifi451

Scifi451 New Member

If it is based around the roman empire, why not base it on the Roman Legion Eagle. Some examples I found from google below-

P9150414.jpg 83047_1295580052508_full.jpg SPQR_eagle.gif 2000px-Vexilloid_of_the_Roman_Empire.png
  6. mcsquiggle

mcsquiggle New Member

I'm sold with the idea you already have thought up, after reading their background I think it suits them fine.
  7. digger514

digger514 New Member

I don't know why I thought of this, but for the machines to have a fabric flag sounds a bit off. I don't know how they would make fabrics given that the world is destroyed. It'd probably have to be made out of metal or some other material left over from a desolated planet.
  8. Gossy

Gossy New Member

Hi Guys!

The eagle should definitely be in, the Romans had it before Americans, but maybe it should be clutching a minified symbol of a galaxy, instead of a planet, since really, just holding one plant isn't that impressive ;-)

I just wonder how big this symbol is going (meant) to be, could help with suggestions.

Gossy
    redlar likes this.
  9. cursedmind

cursedmind New Member

The eagle is too american to be roman,... Also too german to be greek... And a bit too french to be egyptian...wait what?!

On a more serious note tho, I would love some kind of mutated tentacle eagle clutching a planet!

Actually I agree with the comment that a single planetoid wouldn't accuratly represent. But I'm not sure what alternate symbology would be clear enough to use. A galaxy sounds fine until you actually try to make a symbol for that.

As far as I understand the lore they want to conquer and unite everyone to defend against something bigger. So symbology would translate roughly into pieces, a big *** circle and something representing defensive force?
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
    smallcpu and cinadon like this.
  10. globalrelative

globalrelative New Member

I like that. Great idea!

My suggestion:
    thumbnail:

logo.png
    donraul and lezou like this.
  11. Rentapulous

Rentapulous Member

What if the eagle was cobbled together from bits of PA units?
  12. scifibookguy

scifibookguy New Member

A phoenix would make a good bird to use, since it symbolizes rebirth. I like the idea of the world in the claws.
    rubbahpants, pirocket, piemop and 3 others like this.
  13. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

Hmm...I see now that I made a mistake, anyways I like the idea of a metal flag
  14. Azirahael

Azirahael Member

Well if we're going for iconic, a militaristic, this would be a classic:

[​IMG]

Feel free to swap 'VW' for a piccy of the earth :p

Though VW's are pretty iconic machines to beging with, so hey.

R
    donraul and iron420 like this.
  15. 1lostthegame

1lostthegame New Member

Actually, America specifically has used the Bald Eagle as its national symbol. Both the Roman Empire and then the French Empire under Napoleon. Oh, and the Third Reich.
  16. Siggmund

Siggmund New Member

I'm pretty sold on the Eagle/Phoenix/Some form of Regal Bird clutching a world image... It's very evocative. My only two cents is along with the SPQR thing... I think it would be neat if Dominus found one of those image files but misinterpreted it, so they name their home planet 'SPOR'.
    elipadden likes this.
  17. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

I know I know...Everyone MUST tell me...However I think that something like a wolf would be better for a roman faction because of the importance of the wolf in the foundation of Rome and its empire. Some allusions to the in game faction perhaps?
  18. Tankh

Tankh Member

smallcpu and lonewingman like this.
  19. 1lostthegame

1lostthegame New Member

Sorry, I didn't really mean to jump on you like that. Its just something I think people should be aware of. And then there are other symbols that could be used, such as like you said, the wolf, or the boar, the minotaur, and horse. Those were all animal symbols used by the original Roman Military.
    Badtoasters likes this.
  20. MindlessMe

MindlessMe New Member

Personally I like the idea of the symbol looking something like the Adeptus Mechanicus emblem from 40K. I would link it but I am not allowed. It embodies that man has become machine. I think it represents a lot of the personality behind the commanders as machines that used to be the pawns of humans.
    rdlc1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.