For Backers Only: Faction #1 Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Do You Think Our First Faction Name Should Be?

1. Pax Machina (Machine of Peace)

479 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Legonis Machina (Legion of the Machine)

665 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. The First Empire

126 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Imperium (Empire)

425 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Huge reveal this afternoon, folks. You've seen the news, right? If not, here's a cross-post from the Planetary Annihilation blog:

That's right -- we're letting you guys help us name the first (of four known) factions in the PA universe. Above are the options. Feel free to throw out comments, questions, or ideas as you vote, too. This is all about you guys, the community, and you getting the opportunity to leave a footprint in this game.

The leader name thread for this faction is located here. The symbol thread is here.

Voting closes on Thursday, September 26.
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
  2. rockerx

rockerx New Member

Awesome! I like the sound of the first choice. Pax Machina. The other choices...ehh, not so much. They sounded a little cheesy.

Ooh! The Zahnräder. The Zahnräders? :p To me it sounds like a 'rougher' name though.
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
    eroticburrito likes this.
  3. LoAmmi

LoAmmi New Member

Sorry for the nitpick, but if you're going for actual Latin (perhaps this is future space Latin), Legionis Machina is "Machine of the Legion." Legio Machinae would be "Legion of the Machine."

Anyway, I like Pax Machina (which is really "Peace-Machine" or "Peace by Machine."). It nicely recalls the Pax Romana (Roman Peace) as a bit of irony. Also, it provides a goal for the faction right from the beginning. Even though they're robots fighting an eternal war, they still hold an ideal of peace in their robot brains.
  4. digger514

digger514 New Member

I like the name Pax Machina (Machine of Peace) because from the outside, this faction may be seen as destructive and terrible, but from the views of the faction itself, they are doing what they feel is best to make the world a better place. Almost like a 1984 theme which is why I like it so much.
  5. globalrelative

globalrelative New Member

Pax Machina all the way!
    Sounds a bit more creative.
  6. Tankh

Tankh Member

My thoughts exactly. The way the name, to us, obviously contradicts its description, brings up a more complex depth behind the Emperors motives.
  7. Scifi451

Scifi451 New Member

^ Agree on the PAX name reasoning.
    rubbahpants likes this.
  8. grimtuesday

grimtuesday New Member

I don't see the sense in naming the faction something like Pax Machina; Pax Romana was a period of time not an empire. It would be like naming a faction "Gilded Age" or "30 years war" (or in the Supreme Commander mythology calling a faction "Infinite War"). As for the other two, they sound OK but I really think a faction name should be one word. The First Empire sounds stupid though it has an acceptable acronym (TFE). I voted for Imperium because it's the only one I think has a good ring to the name "The Imperium" and actually makes sense both in sense of the Roman mythology that you're going for here as well as not being stupid latin-for-the-sake-of-latin.
  9. jebradec

jebradec New Member

I like Imperium, but mostly because I loved Dark Reign back in the day (the first one, Dark Reign 2 really missed the mark in my opinion).
    lordxanos likes this.
  10. jabe

jabe New Member

I'm glad to see that someone already pointed out the Latin errors.
  11. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

I voted for legonis but legio looks and sounds cooler.
    My thought exactly :D
  12. fulloffail

fulloffail New Member

Pax Machina gets my vote, because a warring faction being named after peace sounds like propaganda.
  13. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I personally don't like Legion of the Machine. It seems to suggest that this faction operates through ridiculous spamming, which contradicts my interpretation that their pride and arrogance would lead them to pursuing a 'beautiful' method of warfare that relies on expert manoeuvring of units rather than brute force.
  14. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I believe that the names on the list other than Imperium is too humble for him (Dominus). There are no need messy ornaments for name of one and only empire which entire galaxy will (must) obey.
  15. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

Brutux! What is more evil than a Solid B sound followed by a menacing X sound?
    Edit-thought this was the Leader naming thread oops :/
  16. skreegthegreat

skreegthegreat New Member

I like the second option, but Legio Machinae would be even better, imho.
    aeonlakes likes this.
  17. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

An asinine correction -

Pax Machina means Peace Machine. Pacis Machina would mean Machine of Peace.

[​IMG]
  18. cthulhukid

cthulhukid New Member

cusus in infernis atque incude ignis means "Forged in Hell on the anvil of Fire."

Perhaps this Empire should be called: Incude Ingnis for "Anvil of Fire" ... after all, all the resources are being consumed to forge the new army (and all worlds that will fall under its thrall shall bend, or melt, to this purpose).

:cool:
  19. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

I love "Pax Machina" - Like the 'Ministry of Love' in 1984. Perfect.
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Non-ecclesiastical use of the term means closer to this:
    A time of wide-ranging stability when there is only a single dominant power.

While the implication is peace, it is peace under a strong rule.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.