Texture Problem... help please?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by elturbotaco, September 17, 2013.

1. elturbotaco

elturbotaco New Member

I have owned Planetary Annihilation for a little over a day now and i love it! so much so i am still playing it though i have a near un-playable texture problem

The units texture is fine just the planet surface, only squares of terrain seem to appear and even then they are low res and fuzzy, none of the ore/mass thingys can be seen ether... which makes it near impossible to gather/mine them

also in the graphics options screen none of the pop down boxes have any visible info on them. you can still select and save low-high-ultra ect ect but can not see what you have selected

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as i am already in love with this game despite problems :)

here is a screen shot, stays the same even when you zoom in. Version .53072

upload_2013-9-17_22-42-3.png
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Please upload your DxDiag.txt or if you on Mac/Linux post system info.
    elturbotaco likes this.
  4. elturbotaco

elturbotaco New Member

Worked a treat! cheers dude!
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Seriously guys how many more hundreds of these threads before it is decided to put "UPDATE YOUR GRAPHIC DRIVERS" as the PA launcher title and as the description on PA in steam. or at least a sticky on the forum. I no longer believe that this is the most efficient way. I bet some people don't even log in and post, they just check the first page of the forum if there's a solution or not, if there isn't they give up and go spam steam forum about how "PA's a rip-off".

EDIT: I want to have decent threads on the first page when beta comes out (and dont tell me my hopes are delusional, this is more than possible with some organisation, dirrections and instructions). If we leave this on it's current tracks the form will be so massively swarmed with these that the threads actually talking about something will be on page 3.
    mkrater likes this.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can put 9000 warnings about drivers and people still will have problems with them. Reason of problems in Windows ecosystem which have such problems as:
    1. Many people trying to update drivers from notebook manufacturer websites, they mostly always outdated.
    2. Not all people understand how hybrid graphics work, so they run game on slower integrated cards.
    3. And for non-advanced user it's just pretty hard to determine what driver need to be installed.
    So Uber can add some warnings, but many people will continue to ask same questions and there isn't real fix for that. Just because sometimes it's easier to give solution than teach user to determine what hardware he have. ;)

PS: Uber also start to collect information to KB, so for some problems we can redirect people there instead post solutions every time.
  7. tatsujb

yea, appending "only using ati.com for amd cards and nvidia.com for nvidia cards and chose 'beta' versions" though, really is a failsafe isn't it?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Uber already added this by my request to their troubleshooting articles on Steam (also posted to KB).

But trust me you can't ask people to go and do everything by their own, just because some of them don't even understand what difference between 32-bit and 64-bit OS. They just not work with computers and know a little about that. These people just need a bit help and peace of instructions and it's how tech support work for all software projects.

Yes you can post "HEY YOU! GO AND READ THIS LONG ARTICLE!", but it's only leave more unhappy people and won't stop those threads appear on forum.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Also I'm think about creating good article related to drivers updates, but I'm decide it's will be too complicated to users who need it. Probably I'm need to create DxDiag analyzer which will return some how-to based on CPU and system information. :D
  10. tatsujb

common, of course ppl don't know what's 32bit and 64bit but everyone knows that you don't give a 64bit "something" to a 32bit "something else" and vice versa, all they basiclly get is the idea that switching them around won't work (even if they don't know that in the case of programs there is actually a one-directional situation where this is possible, frequent even, but let's focus...) something as retarded as the windows desktop actually teaches them that. there's some text about it here and there and error messages explaining why a program didn't run. so what I'm saying is that nvidia's and ati's site is actually straightfoward and plain, and anyone could work out what to do from there. And of course people have to forget about their bad habbits of using the laptop software to check but that's what the message would be telling them to do. plus the words "beta driver" would kinda be giving them the hint that this wouldn't be covered by the updater.

I'm not talking about our comprehension of this stuff, I'm talking about them the pseudo-geeks who think they're knowledgable in PC's because they've leared that gaming is possible on the PC and because they can do a couple more tricks in MS word than their comrades.
    Last edited: September 23, 2013
  11. poofriend

poofriend Member

relax nerd, some people enjoy games and don't know much about computers. you'll just have to learn to deal with it i'm afraid. or maybe stop playing online games altogether? you'll give yourself a hernia or something lol.
  12. tatsujb

no I'll be fine, like for example here, I'll just act like nothing hapened. I didn't say I was "dyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing" from it I said these people are suffering uselessly. I know that every one of them will learn later on how to do this, I'm saying why not from us?
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Oh man, I'm really think you taking it's all too serious. I'm helping people on this forum because I want to help devs, but there is no other possibility to do that.

But there is no real way to teach people something just because people want to play game and not learn anything. :D
  14. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

This is weird for me to type, but poofriend is right. I don't want to see you give yourself a hernia over it :eek:
  15. tatsujb

I'm not people, fine I'll just drop it, I see now that my proposition was of no worth.
  16. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Awww, it's ok tats! You're passionate! I like that :D
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. jamesbjoseph

jamesbjoseph New Member

I am having similar issues as the original poster described. My user interface is fine but the terrain textures fail to appear properly on the majority of my maps instead appearing as large swathes of textureless black terrain, all terrain features such as trees, metal, plateaus, mountains, etc. all appear properly, as well as units. It's strange, I can technically play the game with no problems it just looks absurd.

I have updated my graphics driver, turned off automatic graphics switching, and reinstalled and am still experiencing the problem. Specs:

OS X 10.8.5
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB/ Intel HD Graphics 3000 (probably not worth listing)
    16 GB RAM
    Last edited: September 21, 2013
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This is known problem with AMD GPU on OS X: FS#1990

You can't do anything with it currently, only try to use integrated Intel graphics (but it's will have poor performance) and wait for future updates.
  19. jamesbjoseph

jamesbjoseph New Member

Meh, okay thanks for the quick response. Has this been a problem since the initial alpha release? I thought I remembered it working fine when it first came out.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope it's wasn't from start, at least exactly this issue. I'm think Uber trigger the problem by using some features which working badly on ATI/AMD cards with OS X. E.g in development process they implement some new features/optimizations and they not always work properly on all OSes and drivers.