Things that annoy you in RTS games

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by GreenBag, July 5, 2013.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Many ranges were small. Most of the 'artillery' (both T1 and T2) was far longer range than anything that had come before.
  2. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Have to say I friggin love the range of artillery units so far in this game. It's a nice game changer as scouts have so much more late game use
  3. carpetmat

carpetmat Member

One thing that I don't enjoy too much is hard counters like in C&C4 and Starcraft 2. Where only one kind of weapon is good against one kind of armor. Try anything else and the damage is nearly
    nonexistent.

I think weapon and armor type should influence, not decide the fate of the battle.
    Last edited: September 1, 2013
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Well bullets can't really be expected to destroy tanks and battleships.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

jsamilo likes this.
  6. Devak

Devak Post Master General

But the highest good of a game is fun, not realism.

There are immersion-breaking cases ofcourse. But in a world like the Tiberium series, you would expect that infantry at some point got equipped with stuff to take down the copious amounts of armored units.
    carpetmat likes this.
  7. igncom1

Like bazookas, not really AP machine guns.

My point is that is everything is good against everything then you would only build the unit with the best DPS.

Realism or not, having one unit be better then the rest just turns it into a game of spamming that unit.

Realism makes sense, and should be at least tried and then scaled down to make fun better, otherwise you end up with stuff that the player cant understand.
    carpetmat likes this.
  8. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

But in reverse a direct hit from a tank shell is not going to leave an infantryman in one piece, that's the one feature of C&C and some other games I actively dislike.
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Tanks were just really inaccurate against infantry in C&C, unless it was a ******* Railgun, in which case you butchered anything but mass infantry. I think infantry did have quite a bit of armor towards tank guns anyways...

DoWII did it pretty well, AT guns still did a lot of damage, but they were so frigging inaccurate vs. infantry.
  10. carpetmat

carpetmat Member

I totally agree, that makes sense and gives unit variety. I just don't like how greatly it had an effect in those games. In CnC Tiberian Sun at least all tanks did fairly good damage against all other types of tanks. It was their other attributes that made them useful in certain situations. Like speed, health, special ability, and whatnot. Damage type and armor only influenced the amount of success, you wouldn't be doomed to failure just because you had the wrong type of weapon.

And I mean, yes realistically, infantry firing bullets can't destroy tanks and battleships. But also realistically, infantry aren't just armed with just a gun, and Tanks don't load just one type of ammo.

Anyone remember the game Dune 2? Troopers had both a machine gun and rocket launcher in that game. I thought it was kinda strange they didn't include multiple weapons for infantry from then on.
    Last edited: September 1, 2013
  11. igncom1

The sardukar in the OpenRA version of dune 2000 does that.
    carpetmat likes this.
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I think he meant more that he hates the fact that it becomes entirely useless, not just less effective
  13. igncom1

Well.....don't bring a knife to an anchor fight.
  14. carpetmat

carpetmat Member

I did not know that O: I need to find that version, haven't played Dune 2000 in forever.
  15. igncom1

16. carpetmat

carpetmat Member

igncom1 likes this.
  17. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

C&C RA2 Mirage Tank and Prism tank combo's against anything other then air was unbeatable and there really wasn't a soviet counter to it.