The PA Open, 1v1 Championship

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by oxide246, August 26, 2013.

1. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Stream this Sunday's tournament? Sure that's fine, Petard will likely be casting it too though I imagine.
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Probably not a good idea to compete for livestreaming so I can record a cast instead if necessary.
  3. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

We should split the matches so they are played in pairs and each of us livestreams those games at the same time.
    I do the odd numbered matches, you do the even.

As for the final we could either do it together or both separated. Considering that we haven't done anything together(and probably never will judging by your reply in the pm) perhaps its best we both do it separated or something
  4. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I think a dual cast with you two would be a disaster. Zap is more factual and the match orientated in his casting and well petard is petard in his. Both good but in their own ways.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Nobody really wants to play a tournament at this stage in the game sadly. There are only a select few people who have actually dialed in their build orders and have a competitive strategy for both close-spawn engagements as well as fights that escalate to a planetary scale. Namely Clopse, Cola_Colin, Gunshin, Godde, and Neptunio. I usually just play a match by ear in terms of lolgistics.

Most people know this game has an "elite cadre" of high-level players and probably are being scared off as a result.
  6. zaphodx

Honestly I doubt many people realise the huge disparity in skill between those players and the rest of the community.

RE: Livestreaming I'm sure we'll work something out on the day. I might not even have internet back by then anyway.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Except that there are a select group of players that always appear in every cast in youtube videos. Most people recognize me when I join a random game, and I haven't played in a cast for several weeks now.
  8. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Looks like that could be the case, to which my response is.. why so serious? I'm guessing you're not playing to win shroomy? It's not like the games matter at this point since the game is not even finished. I'm actually excited about gettin my arse kicked by a pro (although it will be a bit frustrating at the same time I'm sure :p)

I'm gonna keep developing this thing regardless, hopefully it picks up as time goes on.
  9. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

It has advantages and disadvantages. Of course at the beginning it would be dreadful since casters need to be in sync and it needs to feel smooth. Having different screens doesn't help either but having different styles combined into a cast could result with awesome if done properly.

I wonder will it be possible to have a specatator mode where the screen for all spectators will be from a specific spectator thats chosen before the game.
    That would actually make casting during tournaments very convenient for everyone. One person is a cameraman, one person streams, and the casters commentate over the camera that the cameraman is handling. Would be very cool.

As for the tournament, top players all picked a single spot and thats why nobody else wants to join, they'd get crushed. One bracket should be top vs top and the other should be the weaker "random" players, maybe that would be better
  10. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Well looks like this has now been fixed. What we have now is an enrollment type with brackets to be made when we have 16. Much better for everyone. Wonder where all those players have went that wernt happy with neptunios invitational?
  11. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

I like litterly just put that in :)

I'm trying to find out what happened there with Neptunios tournament? Is it not happening anymore? In which case I'll remove it.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's buggy: I can select join as many times as I want and it adds me multiple times as a result.
    But apart from that it's a good change.
  13. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

I think it'd be fun. But 5pm GMT is 3am in Sydney! Maybe as we refine the approach, each round can be scheduled for a given day or two, and each pair can agree a time that is workable for both. Then they report the result back into the system.
  14. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Good idea! Next week we'll hold it over the entire weekend, we'll need to intelligently match people for the first round somehow to reduce the delay as much as possible.

Also the multiple joining bug has been fixed.
  15. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

looks like some noob has taken my name on the tournament registration. so i had to resort to Gunshinn =.=

edit: i retract my noob statement, you guys are awesome
    Last edited: August 29, 2013
  16. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

That would have been Neptunio (on my advise) lol. He created an account on your behalf so he could put you in his tournament. I'll add you to the the PA Open with your real name and change your password and PM it to you.
  17. battletech

battletech Member

Seams rather early for a tournament to me, as one bug can basically kill you. Playing on lava or metal seams crazy to me too as these are the two terrains with the most pathing issues. The lag, since the game isn't polished yet, can be a game decider also. For now I will pass. Once the game is solid I look forward to see I a fair.
  18. zaphodx

No-ones doubting games are decided on unfair starting positions or similar but a bit of competition is just for fun and to liven up the competitive scene.
  19. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

The countdown begins! 15 hours to go, 5 positions left. If you're not interested in attending Petard and possibly ZaphodX will be streaming if you'd like to see the action LIVE. </hype>
  20. james7444

james7444 New Member

I'm going to considerably struggle to stay for the second match in this tournament (if I make it that far?? o_O) due to commitments at 6:00 pm every day. Please consider beginning future tournament between 2-4 :S