Planetary Annihilation 1vs1 Invitational #1

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neptunio, August 22, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

do the obvious bugs count the almost-no limit on repair on commander distance?
  2. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

It's obviously a bug :p
  3. sergiuhelldragoon

sergiuhelldragoon Member

Why did you decide to exclude me from this tournament?I did sign myself in though...
  4. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You signed in to the open pamatches tournament, which has been postponed. This is a completely different tournament.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

My bets are on Godde. Gunshin might get him if he gets an early advantage, but that Godde man, he has the patience of a saint.
  6. tatsujb

why isn't clopse in? he's pretty badass.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

he is on vacation afaik
  8. tatsujb

9. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

there shoulda been an open qualifier to get a spot within the tourney =D Other wise its just another tourney with another bunch of guys. Not a tourney with the "best" players in the world. Not all good gamers play on the "gentlemen's" ladder =D I believe that after the creation of a ladder developed by uber this will become extremely apparent. As the "eight" selected players will not hold the top eight 8 spots on the ladder. Just a simple prediction. Good luck to all involved, and have a qualifier next time =D!
  10. Armond

Armond New Member

Well, at this point, it's not intended to be a tournament of the world's eight best players. It's not even intended to be a tournament between the world's eight best gentlemen players - some of those players are on vacation or otherwise unable to attend. (mushroomars pls why)

This early in the alpha, with major bugs (and balance changes) being introduced and fixed literally every week, the gentlemen's ladder is the only one that can be supported. A "no-holds-barred" ladder would be topped not by whoever could best abuse the bugs present, but by whoever could best abuse the bugs present this week. If your entire strategy is turned upside-down next week because e.g. walls are nerfed or commanders can't build nukes anymore, welp, sucks to be you. The gentlemen's ladder aims to provide a sportsmanlike meter of competition, and is the only one that can do so at this point in the game's life. As such, the "qualifier" consists of all the matches held before now, to publicly measure the skill of various players in a fair setting over an aggregate of more matches than a standard qualifier tournament could hope to cover.

On a personal side note, as a game designer, longtime competitive player, and mostly decent human being, your implication that the "best" players could include those that abuse obvious bugs and flaws in an alpha test is slightly disgusting.
  11. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

I considered a qualifier, as well as other options. I decided to go with people who I know are good and who are active in the IRC chat since I know I will be able to find them to play their games etc. Future tournaments will hopefully have an automated reporting system (one is into the late stages of development) and so there will be no reason to have the tournaments be invitational at all.
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

>pls why

I am not that active in IRC chat because quite honestly it's boring. Nobody ever has any heated debates, nobody ever tries to be funny, and it pretty much consists of after-match analysis and banter along with "Anyone want to play?"

I much prefer the Realm's teamspeak, they've got blackjack and hookers.
    glinkot, cwarner7264 and Armond like this.
  13. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

I won´t be in since i still not now how to play this game,but there is so mutch bugs and fixes to do and already tourney, thats good.
    So we probably will see the usual 5/8 players that will be good to see on casts.
  14. james7444

james7444 New Member

Hmmm; Please have qualifying heats for this next time, I very rarely use the ladder :/
  15. Armond

Armond New Member

Well, I really can't blame you on that one.
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

So.....? How is this working out?
  17. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Zaphod has had some internet issues as well as players being unavailable for games. Everything should be ready to go again this weekend, some of the matches have already been played and casted but waiting until we have played a couple more before uploading to youtube.

Clopse you will likely have to step in and replace crystilac, that cool? :)
  18. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Sure if needed. So just the small job of gunshin, then maybe godde before i get to the final. Want my address now for the prize money?
    Last edited: August 28, 2013
  19. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

Love the futurama reference...
  20. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

oxide246 likes this.