PA Alpha Build: 52512

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, August 24, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Date: August 23rd, 2013

Windows Versions: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 (64 & 32 bit) "PA.exe has stopped working" - before doing anything else, get your video drivers updated. If you don't know how to do this, please web search for how. This has been the problem in almost all cases of this issue.

Mac OS/X: 10.7 & 10.8

Linux: Ubuntu 12.04 & 13.04 (And derivatives), Mint 14 & 15; See here for other distro's that are working (Need alpha forum access)

• First three orbital units are available. These are still using existing systems while full support for orbital and interplanetary is being implemented. Units are: Launcher, Radar Satellite, and Orbital Fighters. These units are expensive.
    • Lava and Metal are now playable! They are still very early, and pathing, especially on metal, can get weird. Play with caution.
    • Lots of soundscape updates.
    • Improvements to virtual texturing systems. Most people should see an improvement to overall framerate.
    • Significant improvements to artillery, especially the lobber. Should have a lot more success finding successful firing solutions at long range.
    • Landing positions are now titled with appropriate letters to identify them. Should make team gameplay significantly easier to coordinate.
    • AI has started doing some basic economic threat analysis. Now they really are hunting you if they scout you out and see a strong economy.
    • All the unit JSON has had a significant cleanup.
    • You should be able to rejoin a game, even if you've already been defeated, if you wish to watch the rest of gameplay.
    • A number of cases of nukes and tac missiles looping endlessly have been fixed. Hilarious as it was.
    • Recon "hover" exploits fixed. May still be some, but should reduce unintentional recon information being provided.
    • Placement of metal on water surface should work more reliably now.
    • Quite a few UI improvements. Mysterious disappearing selection boxes, economic UI, and others should also be fixed.
    • Anti-nukes should be much more effective now. They were not stopping nukes at their full range before. Keep in mind, you need good recon to stop incoming nukes.
    • Advanced fabbers should be able to build walls now. Build restrictions will be getting a big revision in the next build.
    • Fixes to Steam account validation. Should reduce cases where Steam and UberNet accounts don't link successfully.
    • Quite a few balance changes.
    • Battleships will not longer target air units. Because that was silly.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  2. impend1ngdoom

impend1ngdoom Member

launches into infinite black screen of doom
    grove227 and MeIMe54 like this.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Orbital Fighters? Colour me concerned.....

Mike
  4. garat

Why concerned?
  5. KNight

If all the Orbital layer is is an Air layer 2.0 I would be......displeased by the loss of potential.

Obviously Alpha is Alpha thus why I'm only concerned at this point.

Mike
  6. garat

The orbital fighter is more of an idea on how to both defend and have a chance to take out more significant orbital threats. Most orbital will act more like you'd expect satellites to operate. Slow, fairly powerful, and very expensive. The orbital fighters may or may not stick, but rather than wait yet another week to get some orbital content out, we decided to push at least a few units to start getting feedback on how it currently works.
  7. jvahe

jvahe New Member

I definitely wasn't expecting a build to be pushed at this time of night
  8. KNight

Well they like to push builds before the weekend so we can get some quality time with it and they can hop on it on Monday.

Mike
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Brightness on Linux (AMD Catalyst currently) seems to be broken a bit.
    lighting2.png lighting1.png lighting.png
  10. garat

We're properly correcting gamma now, along with some other render pipeline changes. This may be affecting linux rendering.
    regged likes this.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Also it's seems like Intel HD 3000 (on Windows 7) with latest drivers can't run this build, Coherent render cursor properly, but menu just won't appear. :(
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They have to test orbital sometime. That being said, i hope orbital remains supportive of the other three layers and utility based. Direct cannons might be good if that thing moved real slow and ground artillery could return fire
  13. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Damn it Raevn, where's my other changelog! This must be the slowest he's ever been :)
    Raevn and skintkingle like this.
  14. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Really dislike the orbital fighter, i think it would be better to add Surface to Orbit missiles or more preferably a grapeshot system that is too slow to be a viable attack craft like a fighter but is fast enough tobe capable of neutralizing a threat.
  15. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I know right.
    Raevn likes this.
  16. sergiuhelldragoon

sergiuhelldragoon Member

Is it right for the orbital fighters to have no texture?
  17. Zenotheory

Zenotheory Member

Lava and Metal Planet.... Atm is just a texture skin :( I was hope that unit's get destroy while driving through Lava, Also only being able to build on metal spot on Metal Planet when can we build anywhere on a Metal Planet?

The 2 new planet look good but have no practicability atm... (Disappointed)
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Neutrino said this won't happen because of balance issues.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Still no Raevn? Must have been a good night last night ;)
    Raevn likes this.
  20. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Guys, I'm fairly sure Uber said that Orbital units are highly experimental and work in progress. I'm sure they just need units to be able to flesh out the orbital layer feature support, and then they can concentrate on actually making it fun. The fighter has no texture, neither units have proper icons and the launcher doesn't have build animation, it's clear that Orbital has a lot of soul searching left to do.