Trolls in PA

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Tellaris, August 18, 2013.

1. Tellaris

Tellaris New Member

Alright, I've been trolled by two particular players in this game one time too many. I understand that this is Alpha, that everyone paid a fair bit to be here, but this goes entirely against the spirit of alpha, and that is to find bugs. But these guys go against it by trolling in lobbies and in games. They delete comms, refuse to ready up, basically blocking the room and they delete anything the target tries to build. If you want names, I can PM them to a relevant mod.

At least PLEASE implement a kicking feature.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I highly recommend not playing in shared-army games with randoms - it never ends well. Either wait until 'alliance' mode gets added, or make sure you play games with people you know and are able to communicate with.
    infuscoletum likes this.
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Namedropping would not be a bad thing here. If no mods ask you for their names, please post them so we can avoid them entirely.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Please do not do this, PM their names to myself, another moderator or a dev. In the meantime, cwarner7264's advice is good, it's not really a gametype intended for playing with randoms (it was simply easier to implement, which is why it was available first).
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

While I understand why you say that I really don't like this position. The shared army works wonderfully with random people as long as those randoms also want to play together (which is about 90% of the time). Dealing with the trolls has eventually to involve other tools then just ignoring a fun gamemode because of them.

There are some easy social tools to deal with those trolls to make sure that this and other gamemodes still remain useful and fun for the average player. (Ignore list, kick option for game creator, marking them for how fun they were to play with [this works surprisingly well when your algorithm ensures that a diverse set of people had to mark them bad], etc.)

I don't expect those tools in the near future (besides the kick option for game creators) but giving up on a gamemode for randoms just because its not troll-proofed by early design is something I wouldn't like at all.
    cmdandy likes this.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I agree entirely with what you say. My advice was purely based on both the current lack of such tools and the obvious frustration that OP has had with this gamemode so far.

I was also hoping it might bring in a new Realminion, too, should he choose to read between the lines :D
  7. ShottyMonsta

ShottyMonsta Member

I was in a game the other day, start of game my commander just blew up. No I didn't hit 'delete', anyway luckily my team mate did not missunderstand the situation and I worked with him microing scouts and base building throughout the rest of the match. H0wever I have had people drop out during team games and not reconnect. I have also had team mates who were determined to energy/metal stall us for 15 minutes solid. Even after trying to micro his fabbers away from building 3 advanced naval bases at the 1 minute mark he proceeded to get more and more stubborn resulting in an argument.

Although it was annoying I wouldn't have 'reported' him, called him out as a troll or whatever other petty stuff because at the end of the day I joined a random team match and in every game I've ever played there will be people less experienced, in a bad mood or just plain trolling.

Personally think putting a reporting mechanism in a game makes for a worse sense of community, see DOTA 2 report system being used as a trolling mechanism in itself. I think team game should have shared energy/metal but not shared unit control unless you tick a box, like Starcraft 2.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

A tutorial would also help a lot in some cases. Some people who may be perceived as "trolls" are simply new guys that are overwhelmed with the learning curve and as a result may be a bit touchy. But I'd just be whining at that point :p
  9. filariuss

filariuss New Member

I think another good advise to push your team mate to join any voice chat to speak with you. It can be Steam, Skype, G+ or anything else.
    yoshd likes this.
  10. kryten42

kryten42 Member

Was that a pretty epic and long 3vs3vs3 game by chance? ^^ Cause I had a teammate once in such a game where exactly that happened, but I dont remember the names...

OT: Yeah, I guess everyone had the occasional troll in at last one game by now. I guess this will be reduced when options for voting and kicking will be implemented. Although that won#t prevent that completely, cause some people just dont give a .....
    I dont know if some kind of rating system could help there, generally I don't like these because they can ad will be abused by other idiots(or the same ones^^)
  11. tidus1492

tidus1492 Member

wtb ignorelist for these ppl
  12. Tellaris

Tellaris New Member

The issue I have isn't with people who are new or simply not good at this game. The issue I have is with people who deliberately block games from launching, and deliberately delete stuff to ruin another person's gaming experience, as well as any other consistently deliberately hostile act. If some one plays bad, fine, I'll deal with it. If they are doing it deliberately to troll me, I want to be able to kick/ban them.
  13. bongologist

bongologist Member

Back to the good old 'Twat List' by the sounds of it, still got one from my FA days in my drawer, basically remember the names of the trolls and don't play with them, hence the list, trolls will be in every game regardless of how hard we try to remove them so using tried and tested methods to ensure having a good game are a must especially on a hardcore RTS like this where the games can go on for hours.
  14. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

this only alpha and you guys already with that questions?
  15. kryten42

kryten42 Member

Agreed! But to make that work you need to be able to kick them from games before they launch ;)
    bongologist likes this.
  16. bongologist

bongologist Member

Indeed bud, it will be much easier to host games without the worry of trolls once this is implemented into the game ;)