For Backers Only: Metal Planet Iteration

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, July 31, 2013.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I actually said "Personally, I think there will, but with some twist".

This assumes metal planets will work as normal planets. Given the talk of them being super weapons etc., this is not necessarily the case. And you can still build on them using the economy from other planets. Also, there's no reason they couldn't change the way metal extractors are built (they used to be buildable anywhere). The current implementation can't be used as a reason, because it can be changed.

They don't yet know, and have not stated definitely (in a quoteable way) one way or the other. I also recall Mavor saying in the chat on the livestream that he doesn't think there will be metal spots on metal planets, but I don't have a transcript/screenshot. All I was saying was the quotes you are using as proof were answering different questions to what you are using them as answers to.
  2. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

??? Considering the question now and before was generally about metal on metal planets and the look of the metal points, my quotes were answers to those questions, previously posted.

Are you bald perchance;):p:D
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I'm confused. I mean these quotes:
    (only stating that different metal spot graphics are possible)

and
    (only stating that metal extractors wont be buildable everywhere).

They do not confirm the presence of metal spots on metal planets.
  4. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

If they're not buildable everywhere, then there must be spots. Unless there will be no metal, in which case why not mention that might be a thing?
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

As I said, they are not sure, and I recall Mavor saying they don't think there will be. It's a wait and see thing.
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Again, I wonder why on earth you'd do that. You remove the option of playing on a Metal Planet until late game.
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

You seem to want metal planets just to be another planet? If it's a superweapon you can capture and use against your opponent it probably shouldn't be something you can do immediately and probably shouldn't be a planet you start on.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

If they are super weapons, that may be a good thing. You can risk early expansion, which would take away from your resources but secure the planet first, or wait until later but risk your opponent beating you to it. There's plenty of things that can be done with the concept that still encourages expansion onto these planets, funded from income on other planets. Metal worlds don't have to be just another planet type. They can be vastly different.
  9. nanolathe

So the Metal Planet is only for getting the Doom Laser? What if you want spawn on a metal planet?
    What sense do it make to create a whole planet type just for the laser?

What a waste.

Zaphod, well excuse me for wanting to be able to play across a metal planet in the early game.
  10. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

There's far more that can be done with them than a doom laser, this is a very narrow outlook.
  11. nanolathe

Such as?

I'm sorry but I'm still failing to see why you want to completely restrict early game play on an entire planet type. Why do you want that?
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Heavy geothermal areas, orbital and/or local defence systems, engines, mechanisms capable of interacting with orbits, asteroids and planetary bodies, fixed large-scale shielding. Just off the top of my head.

Why not? Why do metal worlds have to work the same as every other planet type? Why should you be able to start on them?
  13. nanolathe

Until a Dev comes by to confirm this one way or the other I'm not going to argue with you raevn. It's worthless. If you feel that completely removing early-game play on metal planets is a good thing I don't think I can convince you otherwise.
    All I can say is that I firmly disagree.
  14. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I'm sure you'll have options to play it how you like Nano, we will have to wait and see how they are implemented.
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Balance-wise I can see the argument for restricting early play on metal planets. Allowing one side to become too entrenched on such a powerful weapon early on would likely decide the entire game. However, Nano is right that it would be a shame to waste all the hard work that has gone into making them. I'm sure a solution will be provided :)
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If a metals world is only as that kind of weapon and only by that kind of laser weapon type I'll be disappointed at the lost potential.
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm sure it won't be only as a super-weapon. And I know people complain about 'too many options' but I'd be surprised if, in the completed lobby system, there isn't a checkbox to disable metal planet superweapons.
  18. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I also would vote for metal planets not being starting planets. Those are planets you expand to and use their weaponry.
  19. nanolathe

[Redacted]
    Edit: nevermind, I really don't want to argue this anymore.
  20. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

why not? They should be something special, same like gas giants who will only have orbital units. This means those arent starting planets as well.