For Backers Only: Metal Planet Iteration

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, July 31, 2013.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

That isn't confirmed? Mavor has said there may be no mass on metal planets, they're designed to be a superweapon you can control not just another planet you can eco and fight on.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I don't know where he ever said that.
  3. zaphodx

4. nanolathe

I thought that was with regards to placing Extractors anywhere and everywhere, rather than not placing any at all.

Otherwise you wouldn't actually be able to play in system that comprises only a Metal Planet.
    Last edited: August 15, 2013
  5. zaphodx

Well I'm not sure. I find the information on what is intended with metal planets is pretty sparse.
  6. nanolathe

Let me put it this way, how would you be able to play a game within a planetary system that has you start on a metal planet, if there were no Metal Points on the whole planet?

You literally couldn't have players spawn, nor play on a metal planet until endgame.

That's doesn't sound like an efficient, nor effective use of developer and artists' time and resources.
  7. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

what's the problem with that? Metal planets are supposed to be the derelict super weapons that you find and activate. If you started a game on the metal planet, there's nothing dramatic to build towards.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Maybe, but can you imagine a game where you are the only one to start on the Metal planet and everyone else on normal planets, you'd have to defend the Metal planet with a more limited economy until you can build up enough of whatever you need to do to activate it or try to go for the rush to get it going to shut down your enemies up front?

Mike
  9. nanolathe

Limited economy? You mean the 15 Metal your Commander gives you?

I'd call that a shade more than "limited" Mike.
    :p
  10. KNight

Well I was assuming a more limited selection of Metal Points compared to a regular planet, perhaps saying a 'lower density' of metal points is a better way to describe it.

Mike
  11. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

Why not making it impossible to spawn on a metal planet to start off anyway? And I was thinking maybe lower metal spots but double the collection maybe? to me it doesnt make sense to start off on a metal planet if its going to be a super weapon. That would make it unbalanced due to the player who spawned on it can take over that super weapon before anyone else gets to the planet.
  12. nanolathe

Just because they spawned there doesn't mean they can activate it faster than anyone else can throw an asteroid at them. Metal Planets aren't (or won't be) indestructible.
  13. KNight

Especially if, as I mentioned, you have a smaller total potential economy maybe.

Mike
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It is confirmed that metal planets are planet destroyers? Or will they function like asteroids and only cause mass devastation to a planet instead, rendering it useless?

And is there any confirmation on how the metal planet will be doing this? (I Really hope its not a death star laser)
  15. KNight

No strict confirmation that I'm aware of, but the general intent as originally presented and back up somewhat by off-hand comments and the like do seem to indicate that the Metal Planet houses a weapon similar in nature to something mounted by the Death Star.

Mike
  16. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Page 3
  17. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That only says it's possible, not that it's what will be implemented.
  18. infuscoletum

In another thread neutrino stated that there would be metal points on metal planets so as to keep balance between planet types easier:

So ya, between that and his comment about Steve's wants I'd say it's pretty much gonna be implemented "metal points on metal planets" as default, even if it still ends up being optional.
  19. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

That doesn't say there would be points either, it only says metal extractors won't be buildable everywhere ;)

Both of those quotes are answering specific, different questions to the question of "will there be metal spots on metal planets". Personally, I think there will, but with some twist (a cluster in specific locations, for example), but at the moment it's open.
  20. infuscoletum

So, you're leaning towards there being no metal on metal planets then? Cus if you can't build mexes anywhere, the current implementation is NEEDING metal spots to snap to. And I'd say from what I've quoted that there is definitely GOING to be metal on all planets, otherwise I'm sure they would have stated something about there NOT being such, considering that not having metal came up in that same thread.

No offence, but according to the logic you display, it seems like everything is "only a possibility", despite what I would consider a lot more evidence that things have been decided on for the first pass of implementation, and beyond.

They haven't implemented orbital, right? Prolly only a possibility then;)