[REFERENCE] Unit Viewer/Unit Comparison Tool

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by oxide246, June 12, 2013.

1. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Nicely done. I may use this to help verify the numbers and build pipeline. :D

Also, anyone that's looking at these numbers to determine balance, be careful. There's some things that this does not show well, which affects balance greatly. Especially when it comes to DPS.

If the weapon is listed twice that means there are two different weapons and even if they reference the same weapon and the same ammo, it's firing two projectiles which effectively doubles the DPS.
    embox and knickles like this.
  2. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Hi everyone.

Raevn and I were considering publishing a cut-down version of this tool on a live website. The live version wouldn't have the 3D unit viewer or terrain viewer. Just unit stats and the comparison feature as Uber have informed us that they would (understandably) prefer not to have in-game assets posted in a public place.

Considering we now have a PA Database by yarmond here: http://www.pa-db.com/. I'd just like to get peoples feedback on whether they would find my tool useful being published live as well, or if it's fine just having as a download if you need it.

Thanks.
  3. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I think it would be a lot more accessible like that. Also wouldn't that also make it available for people who don't have the game yet?
  4. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

I think the latest patches broke this. Just tried refreshing the jsons, and even though the unit_comparison_list.json file shows as 2300kb the unit viewer html displays nothing. :(

php executable shows version 5.5.0.0 btw.
  5. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Worked for me, although I'm using PHP 5.3.10

It could be something to do with using PHP 5.5. They seem to have gone a bit wild lately removing functions and features they don't like between minor version upgrades... It's been great fun seeing many of my websites break as hosting companies upgrade PHP... grrr..
  6. infuscoletum

It's weird cus it worked the last time, same php, somewhere around 50000. Stupid memory forgetting and stuff :(
  7. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

It sounds like there's probably a syntax error in the unit_comparison_list.json because the UI is breaking completely. Can you post that file here and I'll take a look?
  8. infuscoletum

The only thing I edited in the php file was the PA folder location, since on my system it's "C:\Planetary Annihilation\PA", not under program files, or with MODDING in the folder name. What happened last time was I ended up with a blank json because of that.

Either way, here's both files:

Attached Files:

9. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Oops, sorry it took so long to get back to you on this one.

The problem was that PAs javascript includes have moved into a thirdparty folder and broke it. The original files weren't removed on my copy that's why it didn't break when I tested it before.

I've updated the OP and attached the html files you'll need to replace to get this working again here.

Attached Files:

10. infuscoletum

Heheh. not a problem :D Works awesome again!
  11. battletech

battletech Member

Can't get it to work for me. When I load the page it is blank and all I can do is switch between the three options. There is no command line to run the create_json.
  12. Uke

Uke New Member

13. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

14. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I would love to use this tool but I am not going learn how to configure and run a php server to do it. Any way you can get this in a standard EXE file for windows?
  15. Uke

Uke New Member

stormingkiwi likes this.
  16. stormingkiwi

People aren't sure whether you are fruity, they emphasise the stuff you can't do, your hair is brown and an unusual shape, you always run downhill and you tend to sleep a lot during the day time. Also you would have odd passions for bugs and rugby, and you probably have a cousin who tells every one about getting bargains. plus your nostrils are at the end of your beak.
  17. Uke

Uke New Member

I have brown hair and i tend to sleep during daytime so im ~25% a kiwi and now?
  18. stormingkiwi

Exactly.

But you could be a brown haired vampire too. It's hard to make the distinction, sometimes..
  19. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

not working any sugestions?
    reply pls
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General